Engine Mods?

Vic Benson

Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal 2.0L Turbo
Thanks Motormouth. I am looking for the secret to remove the other end of the charge pipe as it attaches to the throttle body.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Adding aftermarket coils and modifying the throttle body won't give the motor any noticeable increase in power. Swapping the stock tune in the car's computer with a performance tune will allow the motor to make much more power, because the stock tune has torque management to save the drivetrain, which limits engine power output.

The performance tune also increases the turbo boost, which forces more air into the motor, thus increasing the horsepower output. After I loaded a performance tune in my 2.0 turbo Regal it was like I dropped a small V8 in it.

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I have 2 Kappa platform LFN 2.0 Ecotec Turbo cars that have been upgrade tuned. The Solstice Coupe has the GMPP tune. Our Saturn Sky RL has an aftermarket tune. The Coupe was supposed to be base 260 hp/260tq and 19mpg city/28mpg highway. With the GMPP tune it took the power to about 290hp/340tq. In over 40k miles I have averaged over 28.3 mpg.
I'll be acquiring our 2018 TourX next weekend.
I would like to see if better Hp & Torque could be attained from the TourX's 2.0 Ecotec to also get better fuel economy? Hope GM offers dealer or aftermarket tune available soon! The GMPP tune for the LFN was a different chip and tweaking to the ECM. More Power, More Fun, Better Mileage. In the Kappa world that's known as PermaGrin!
GMPP tune on my Solstice coupe was no brainer as you know.
Was 2 pressure sensors to read higher boost, downloaded tune from GM, prem. fuel req. sticker and new underhood label.
Was not aware of increased MPG since I had delivery dealer install. Plus I do not drive it much.
LJIMG_20171202_150546152_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

MadmanBT

Buick Ownership
None/technician
Thanks Motormouth. I am looking for the secret to remove the other end of the charge pipe as it attaches to the throttle body.
There are 2 forms of quick disconnect I have seen since working for Buick. One is very similar to the one shown in previous posts with a large C/W clip holding it in and the newest version you have to push the pipe towards the throttle body and twist the black ring counter clockwise to release the pipe. Fair warning, it can be a pita to get undone and also to get it back locked into place once put back.

Makehe

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I looked at "RaceChip" out of Germany today as well and reached out to see if their product would work... Unlike the Trifecta, they have a piggyback system that manipulates/optimizes the inputs to the stock ecu to boost engine performance. (Kind of nice in that it is easier to take back to stock if needed.) They have been around a while and have a pretty decent reputation it seems with the other German brands. They offer a system for the '15+ Camaro with the 2.0 turbo which is the same engine as in the Regal so one would think it should work (albeit they likely have not tested it.) It will be interesting what they come back with.

They also have an module that tweaks the pedal output to adjust the throttle response. Again, not specific to the Regals but as the GM "stuff" should be pretty similar across the platforms, I would think it would work. Being throttle by wire, it could make the feel better as long as you can get the output adjustments "right." Have to think that the transmission issues we are experiencing are likely more software than the actual trans itself.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I looked at "RaceChip" out of Germany today as well and reached out to see if their product would work... Unlike the Trifecta, they have a piggyback system that manipulates/optimizes the inputs to the stock ecu to boost engine performance. (Kind of nice in that it is easier to take back to stock if needed.) They have been around a while and have a pretty decent reputation it seems with the other German brands. They offer a system for the '15+ Camaro with the 2.0 turbo which is the same engine as in the Regal so one would think it should work (albeit they likely have not tested it.) It will be interesting what they come back with.

They also have an module that tweaks the pedal output to adjust the throttle response. Again, not specific to the Regals but as the GM "stuff" should be pretty similar across the platforms, I would think it would work. Being throttle by wire, it could make the feel better as long as you can get the output adjustments "right." Have to think that the transmission issues we are experiencing are likely more software than the actual trans itself.
Let us know what they come back with.

Personally, I'd take a full-on tune over 'piggyback manipulation.' I get that some folks want to plug something in vs flashing/voiding a warranty, though.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence

Trifecta actually acquired a TourX for their tuning.
Buick Regal TourX Group

Makehe

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Trifecta actually acquired a TourX for their tuning.
Buick Regal TourX Group
I know and I think that is great... a true tune, like Trifecta's, is almost always going to be better than a piggyback system (especially when they buy I car to test on.) The real advantage of the piggyback is the potential to "save" your warranty while getting the benefit of a more aggressive map on the car. Just hoping we have options.

I saw a thread on the Camaro forums about a guy who has built a custom E85 tune that boosts the HP on stock internals to just shy of 400hp. The motor has some potential. The uniqueness of the Regal's implementation makes the Camaro builds a little apples to oranges but maybe....

Makehe

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Heard back from RaceChip and they are a no. Because the hp rating on the Regal's implementation of the GM LTG is different than the Camaro, they don't recommend using their piggyback. They said they will let me know if they test it on the Regal. In theory, it should still work but...

Do like that the Trifecta tune also addresses the AT mapping. May have to give it a shot.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Heard back from RaceChip and they are a no. Because the hp rating on the Regal's implementation of the GM LTG is different than the Camaro, they don't recommend using their piggyback. They said they will let me know if they test it on the Regal. In theory, it should still work but...

Do like that the Trifecta tune also addresses the AT mapping. May have to give it a shot.
Camaro has a different ECM than the Regal.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.