• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Engine Overspeed display

diboja

winnipeg, manitoba Canada
Buick Ownership
Buick verano
At times when I accelerate from a stop (flooring it) the engine provides a peppy start and then whines until the center display shows "Engine overspeed"...

You would think that even floored the tranny would smoothly shift the gears to keep the RPM's in line and not force the display overspeed to show up.

Maybe I am pushing this little 4 banger a little too much at times...

Have any of you experienced this display showing up???

Dave :confused:

(This is a 2012..... 2.4L)

Mrdummy

TheFitnessBoard.com
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano
I have same engine and haven't pushed it to hard as engine is still breaking in...

But never had this message pop up yet...

But have had jerky trans issues in normal D mode in auto trans.

MrD

diboja

winnipeg, manitoba Canada
Buick Ownership
Buick verano
I have found out that if I use the manual selector rather than the AUTO transmission i can go through the gears selectively and boot the hell out of the little 4 banger......

BUT selecting the AUTo tranny there is no way you can go and try to be hot-rodding around...that is for sure!!

OH WELL! Should have waited until 2013 until then turbo came out....But what eh hell, higher octane fuel, more oil changes. with the turbo....I am really satisfied in the long run with the 2.4l......................

Last edited:

Mrdummy

TheFitnessBoard.com
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano
So am I, since I have the same engine as you do. How many miles do u have on your car?

I only have 890 miles, so I don't want to push the motor to hard until its broken in, even though its a lease vehicle.

But for a 2.4l engine its pretty quick IMO...

MrD

JDK_Ent

Woodstock, IL
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Verano Leather
Similar issue as original poster on my (new to me) 2012 Verano with 22k miles. Accelerating at full throttle, with the car already in motion, the transmission will seem to hang in a particular gear (not sure which gear, as this is very intermittent), resulting in engine overspeed and no more acceleration. The way around this is to momentarily let up on the gas pedal, which will "encourage" the engine to upshift.

This has only happened to me twice in the last month, but it's a little worrisome. If I'm passing someone, the last thing I need is to unexpectedly have the transmission hang in too low of a gear.

Is there maybe an engine controller firmware update to deal with this? Seems avoidable and potentially quite dangerous.

JDK_Ent

Woodstock, IL
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Verano Leather
No response from Buick?

Simplified explanation: While passing someone, occasionally the car will not accelerate past a certain speed (could be 40 or 45 mph). This limits the ability to safely complete a pass. I could be stuck in the oncoming traffic lane with no way to complete the pass.

This is a potentially dangerous situation, and I'm not the only one to complain about it.

Angeou

China
Buick Ownership
VELITE 6
Diesel engine overspeed, commonly known as "flying car", is a special fault of diesel engines. Not only does it cause serious damage to auto parts, but it can also endanger personal safety.

First, the phenomenon of failure

Under normal operation, the engine speed suddenly rises, and even beyond the rated speed, it loses control and makes a huge roar, and the exhaust pipe emits a lot of black smoke or blue smoke.

Second, the cause of the failure

The root cause of diesel engine overspeed is that the diesel engine is lost or the speed regulation characteristics are changed. Failure of the fuel injection pump and governor, if the relevant components are stuck or loose, will cause the excess fuel supply to lose normal speed regulation characteristics; while the combustion chamber entering additional diesel or oil will change the speed regulation characteristics of the diesel engine.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
???

Pedal Commander