• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Engine Power is Reduced

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
For the first time in months field up mid grade.

Today when accelerating on the highway saw

Engine power is Reduced.

I can replicate it.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Should have a stored code, get it scanned to see what may have set it off.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
I turned the engine off and on while at a light and after that drove normally.

I have an appointment on Tuesday for the front end suspension steering noise and the cladding.

will a scan tool at auto parts store read the code?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
If you are going on Tuesday to the dealer have them scan it.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
I had a similar issue on my GS. Turned out to be a sensor connected to the gas pedal. Fixed and washed and out the door in under an hour.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
Hmm,

I think the car had the gas pedal (or sensor) replaced as a recall before I acquired the car.
And the gas pedal was replaced because it was acting like a squeeky mouse few months back.

Tourx2NV

I had the same issue start on mine today. The car was idling in park and the same notice popped up. Turning the car off did not resolve the issue. It accelerates much slower and can barely make it up hills now. I have it set for an appointment on tuesday and I’ll be interested to see what they find. (Side note, I always use premium).

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
Since I got the car last summer have filled it up with mid grade about 4-5 times, after that switched to premium. When winter initially hit went back to mid grade for maybe 2-3 tanks and went back to premium.

This was the first time I went back to mid grade in several months (and not having real intention of staying there), wanted really to compare how the driveability and milage would be.

I was able to keep up with traffic when those conditions were there, basically give it very little gas to barely move. Not going over any hills, etc.

Thud3

Buick Ownership
2017 Lacrosse Premium
Happened to our 2017 Lacrosse. There was a TSB on the problem. Gas pedal replaced under special factory warranty. The TSB listed other models of GM vehicles that needed to have a section of the wiring harness or a connector replaced. Have your Buick dealer see if your car qualified.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
My gas pedal has developed a slight squeak over the past few months and I'm going on long trip next month.

Since the TSB mentions something about a continuity problem, I doubt this will work...but I wonder if you use an OBD scan tool to reset the code if it will let you drive without limp mode for any distance.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
You started the post, went to the dealer and never followed up with a post on the visit or what was done/said regarding the problem. That's the update.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
Car has been sitting at the dealer for 6 weeks now sitting on a rack.

They replaced the electronic brake control module and are unable to configure/program the replacement.
They've tried 3 thus far. The original piece plugs in and configures but throws errrors.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Car has been sitting at the dealer for 6 weeks now sitting on a rack.

They replaced the electronic brake control module and are unable to configure/program the replacement.
They've tried 3 thus far. The original piece plugs in and configures but throws errrors.
Your particular car seems to be fraught with problems. Maybe this is your path to Lemon Law Time or consider to trade it in.

KingDapostrophe

Iowa
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
My 2018.5 with like 49k miles on it is at the dealer with this issue right now. It's the pedal position sensor, pretty common with the cars. The same thing happened to me, under load on the interstate going like 65, reduced engine power and CEL came on. Parked the car, came back and started it, just the CEL was on. Lasted 4-5 ignition cycles before it went away. No drivability issues aside from that first reduced engine power message.

Brought it into the dealer two days after the event. Told the dealer what had happened, said the code was probably stored, and that it was probably the pedal position sensor. They scanned and confirmed that diagnosis today.

From all the reading I've done, it's not common that your reduced engine power message is from something more significant like a faulty brake control model. I would contact Buick directly and explain this issue with them. and as Saab93driver said, explore the lemon law.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
My car is at the dealer.
GM engineer is working with tech department.
They insist the issue is with the electronic brake module.
They say when the original module is in, they can program/calibrate but get error codes.
When they put in a new module, unable to program/calibrate.

thdy have tried 3 thus far.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
My car is at the dealer.
GM engineer is working with tech department.
They insist the issue is with the electronic brake module.
They say when the original module is in, they can program/calibrate but get error codes.
When they put in a new module, unable to program/calibrate.

thdy have tried 3 thus far.
Still? That's like 7 or 8 weeks for a problem they can't seem to fix. If you bought it new get the lemon law program going and be done with it.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!