• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

evap not ready

danger37

Buick Ownership
park avenue
Recently replaced my MFA and took my vehicle to get it smog. It failed the smog test because of EVAp monitor not ready. So i did the drive cycle and took back and it failed again due to Evap not read. So this weekend i drove over 300 mins and tested EVAP and it still not ready. So what could be the issue.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Most of the time the Evap is not ready due to the Gas tank not holding pressure. Which could be due to many different things.

A small hole up top of the gas tank around the fuel pump mount.

A worn out gas cap.

A crack in one of the Vacuum lines going from the gas tank to the purge solenoid or the charcoal canister.

BTW... is the engine light on ? if it's not on, .. you can have a professional shop check the history of the engine codes and maybe get a hit of where the problem might be.

Usually the first thing to try is a new gas cap.

Most places allow 1 monitor not ready and still pass the emissions test. But if the Engine light is ON, it automatically fails.

As a side note... Premier of Ontario ( Canaduh ) just scraped the emissions testing for light vehicles starting April 1 next year !

danger37

Buick Ownership
park avenue
Most of the time the Evap is not ready due to the Gas tank not holding pressure. Which could be due to many different things.

A small hole up top of the gas tank around the fuel pump mount.

A worn out gas cap.

A crack in one of the Vacuum lines going from the gas tank to the purge solenoid or the charcoal canister.

BTW... is the engine light on ? if it's not on, .. you can have a professional shop check the history of the engine codes and maybe get a hit of where the problem might be.

Usually the first thing to try is a new gas cap.

Most places allow 1 monitor not ready and still pass the emissions test. But if the Engine light is ON, it automatically fails.

As a side note... Premier of Ontario ( Canaduh ) just scraped the emissions testing for light vehicles starting April 1 next year !
Forgot to mention before replacing my MFA. Gas cap and Air Filter were replaced. No check engine light is on. I did check with shop that does most our mechanic work. Front counter person say you would need to drive. I been doing driving cycle for 3 days. I will call my mechanic again this morning.
Arizona wants all monitors to be ready.

danger37

Buick Ownership
park avenue
Forgot to mention before replacing my MFA. Gas cap and Air Filter were replaced. No check engine light is on. I did check with shop that does most our mechanic work. Front counter person say you would need to drive. I been doing driving cycle for 3 days. I will call my mechanic again this morning.
Arizona wants all monitors to be ready.
Park Avenue is a 2003

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Here's the GM drive cycle instructions as a reference, not sure if you had been given this. The 300 miles or minutes not sure, but this should only take 25 minutes. I had a major replacement of the lines on my gas tank and had to do the EVAP reset, followed these instructions and was good to go the following day. The only thing that I did was to use my OBD2 reader and clear all the codes prior to doing the reset, can't say if that made any difference, but that's how I found out that the EVAP needed to be reset as I had emissions coming up the following week, passed no problem.

General Motors Driving Cycle

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
My 98 will not do the EVAP test until the gas tank is at 15-85% full.
That's interesting.
98 Regal I had, hptuners scanner would show fuel trims get very rich for a minute every time after filling the tank. Made me believe the ECM is doing some sort of analisys.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
The PCM will analysis the feedback from the 02 sensors and adjust fuel trims accordingly.

chartny

Buick Newbie
Upstate NY
Buick Ownership
Buick Lucerne '11
Here's the GM drive cycle instructions as a reference, not sure if you had been given this. The 300 miles or minutes not sure, but this should only take 25 minutes. I had a major replacement of the lines on my gas tank and had to do the EVAP reset, followed these instructions and was good to go the following day. The only thing that I did was to use my OBD2 reader and clear all the codes prior to doing the reset, can't say if that made any difference, but that's how I found out that the EVAP needed to be reset as I had emissions coming up the following week, passed no problem.

General Motors Driving Cycle
Thanks for the data. I have a Buick Lucerne and 2 '03 Sables. Ford drive cycle much more difficult. The EVAP always the issue that will not reset in normal driving. They require gas 1/4-3/4 full tank, overnight cool, and outside air above 40F. Hard to do in north country winter. And a 10 minute drive at a specific speed and minimum turns and hills. I use a home made keep alive battery when I change battery in the cars.

-chart-

danger37

Buick Ownership
park avenue
Thanks for all your help. OD2 meter showed their was an additional monitor that was not active. Oxygen Sens Htr was showing INC before wife took it to get smog tested Oxygen Sens Htr must became active during her drive to get it Smog Test. It passed the smog test but evap is still not active.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
That's interesting.
98 Regal I had, hptuners scanner would show fuel trims get very rich for a minute every time after filling the tank. Made me believe the ECM is doing some sort of analisys.
My 98 is allowed 2 readiness tests not passed. If I let the fuel level get between 1/2 and 3/4, the PCM does the EVAP test and pops a P0442 code (small leak). I could probably find it by smoking it, but all I do is keep the tank full at inspection time. The car passes NYS inspection every year with the EVAP test not ready.

rider47

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Anyone interested in my P0442 issue with a Texas 2010 Buick Lacrosse (100K Miles) check my
posts (ryder47)

Pedal Commander