• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Excessive wear on the inside, is it associated to camber angle? (GS)

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
The other day after I hit a big pothole, I got off the car to check the tire side wall and that was when I noticed my front driver tire had almost no tread on the inside:
front driver.jpg

The other tires for comparison are shown below. I had to replace two of them due to pothole damage before, so they might not be the same wear level, but I do notice that the Front Driver also shows a bit of wear on the inside (the tread patterns look thinner):

front passenger.jpg
rear driver.jpg rear passenger.jpg

Is it possible that this is caused by the camber angle on the front wheel? Looks a bit excessive to me, this set (PS4S) even for the oldest tire among it was bought during 2021 summer season.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
How many miles on the vehicle and how many miles since a 4 wheel alignment?

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
How many miles on the vehicle and how many miles since a 4 wheel alignment?
Never really done alignment as regular maintenance, about 15k kilometers max I'd estimate for this set of tires. This particular wheel (front left) has gone through at least three big potholes (2 of them damaged the tire and required replacement), heading to the dealer for an alignment today..

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Based on over 15k on current tires and I believe you have a 2018, you are overdue for an alignment.

SpacemanSpiff

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I purchased one of those firestone lifetime alignments, so just to chime in with my experience: In ~2,400 mi between first and second alignment, my 2018 with ~47k mi was significantly out of spec in toe.

FLFRRLRR
Spec+0.03⁰ to +0.23⁰+0.03⁰ to +0.23⁰-0.05⁰ to +0.15⁰-0.05⁰ to +0.15⁰
Actual after 2400mi+0.06⁰-0.12⁰-0.08⁰-0.08⁰

Toe is really what eats tires, not camber (and I don't think the adjustments in the suspension will even let you get to more than ~ -1.25⁰ without changing the shock mount unless something is broken). That said straight highway driving + a lot of toe + any negative camber might amount to some of the inside wear you're seeing.

I will certainly be getting mine re-aligned with each tire rotation.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I purchased one of those firestone lifetime alignments, so just to chime in with my experience: In ~2,400 mi between first and second alignment, my 2018 with ~47k mi was significantly out of spec in toe.

FLFRRLRR
Spec+0.03⁰ to +0.23⁰+0.03⁰ to +0.23⁰-0.05⁰ to +0.15⁰-0.05⁰ to +0.15⁰
Actual after 2400mi+0.06⁰-0.12⁰-0.08⁰-0.08⁰

Toe is really what eats tires, not camber (and I don't think the adjustments in the suspension will even let you get to more than ~ -1.25⁰ without changing the shock mount unless something is broken). That said straight highway driving + a lot of toe + any negative camber might amount to some of the inside wear you're seeing.

I will certainly be getting mine re-aligned with each tire rotation.
You are definitely right, got mine checked today and had a -0.47 and a -0.42 toe on both fronts lol. I don't deserve my M.Eng in mechanical engineering for not checking alignments regularly or after big potholes.

My alignment was actually all green except for the two toe numbers up front. That was after more than 5 Toronto potholes throughout its life so far, including 2 that damaged a PS4S each, both happened at the FL wheel.

SpacemanSpiff

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Hey don't beat yourself up, our roads out here are martian-like in terrain as well and I thought I was being super annoying/anal asking them to align it with the tire rotation...and it only took me 6 years and a phd in mechanical engineering to have the wherewithal 🤣

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
The smooth rural roads can be even worse. They have so much crown in them that if you drive in the center of the road, the inside of the tires get cooked pretty fast.

Like this, but now imagine straddling the centerline with a car (which is common practice in low traffic, rural, areas):
1655405635464.png

lLePunisherl

Quebec,Canada
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS 2019
Hey don't beat yourself up, our roads out here are martian-like in terrain as well and I thought I was being super annoying/anal asking them to align it with the tire rotation...and it only took me 6 years and a phd in mechanical engineering to have the wherewithal 🤣
I don't know where your from. But me in Quebec,Canada the pot hole are a common thing. Even if we pay alot of tax on gas for the maintenance of the road almost every road are broking. Even when they repare it they look shit like in the attach photo.

Attachments

• 1100x425-Pires-routes-Boulevard-de-la-Gappe.jpg
    1100x425-Pires-routes-Boulevard-de-la-Gappe.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 1100x425-Pires-routes-Chemin-Cook.jpg
    1100x425-Pires-routes-Chemin-Cook.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 13

HotZ28

Full Member Since 2005
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
I don't know where your from. But me in Quebec,Canada the pot hole are a common thing. Even if we pay alot of tax on gas for the maintenance of the road almost every road are broking. Even when they repare it they look shit like in the attach photo.
That is sad! You have to pay the politicians salary's with tax money, before any of that goes back into road repair. :poop:

HotZ28

Full Member Since 2005
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
When I lived in Montreal back in the "80's, all the roads were perfect and not ONE pothole! Is Som Ting Wong up there!

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I was actually in Montreal for the F1 race (yes that's why I looked at my tires, had to drive there from Toronto)

I was impressed at how universally bad the rural roads are. They are technically not in Montreal (Laval) but still.

In Toronto the most notably bad roads that I can recall are the Gardiner Expressway , a bit of 401, and Yonge Street, others are mostly fine.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Just checked my fronts and I am down to the bands on the inside... 27k miles with rotations at every 5k mile oil change.

Did anyone seek out a warranty claim with Continental for this?

I wonder if the dealer did not do a proper alignment after the LCA replacement.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Just checked my fronts and I am down to the bands on the inside... 27k miles with rotations at every 5k mile oil change.

Did anyone seek out a warranty claim with Continental for this?

I wonder if the dealer did not do a proper alignment after the LCA replacement.
If you hit potholes then it may come from that - I damaged two front tires (bump on sidewall) due to potholes before eventually throwing off the alignment. It would be difficult to claim the LCA replacement caused it if there wasn't an alignment report (in my case there wasn't).

I don't think Continental will care one bit

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Yeah the dealership isn't really being that cooperative. Under the limited warranty, I can get a set of new tires prorated. Even with 30% off, the warranty offer for a full set of tires was $1,760 for the ProContact TX. The same set directly from TireRack is $1,300.

It is frustrating that we have these warranties, yet utilizing them would cost the customer more than if they were to just go buy new tires. The limited warranties look good when purchasing, but I now see how "limited" they really are. They will do anything not to recognize it.

The alignment had to have been screwed up or fallen out of spec. That is not the fault of Continental. With the dealer doing all of the service (including multipoint inspections at every oil change) I would have expected them to notice something before the bands were showing. But, it's my car and I didn't see it, so it's on me at the end of the day I suppose. Just sucks.

The 20" wheels are going on in the spring anyway, so I don't really need to replace the rubber on the 19s