• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Extreme Electrical Issue - XPost

xITSxTHExPOPEx

Buick Ownership
2015 Encore
I have already posted this on the main encore board, but I'm post here as well in hopes of more views.

I got a 2015 Encore with 55k on it, purchased just 3 days ago. I've put about 150 miles on it since and it has been running great until now. I was running errands this evening, came out of the store and hopped in the car. Everything seemed fine, but upon shifting from reverse to drive, the vehicle shifted extremely hard and lurched forward. Looking down at the gauge cluster I saw the Temp and Tach gauges waving at me, and the Traction Control light flashing. I managed to limp it the mile to my house with reduced power and flickering lights. Once I was home I shut down the vehicle, waited a moment, and started it again. Same issue. I hooked up the OBDII scanner I have, as well as the OBDII to bluetooth adaptor I have and checked the Torque app, neither of them detected the vehicle.

At this point I went inside and called the dealer I purchased it from and explained the issue. It will be on a tow truck to them first thing in the morning and I'll have a loaner. After I got off the phone I decided to go try again and see what happens, same exact issues, except now the power steering isn't working, and after a moment the gauges went to 0. I recorded video of these attempts, here's the links.

This is the first attempt the restart the vehicle after I had gotten home. Encore Electrical 1

This is the second attempt after I got off the phone with the dealer. Encore Electrical 2

And this is the third time, done while writing this post. Encore Electrical 3.mp4

In the third video you can see the Temp and Tach gauge are both completely unresponsive, and the vehicle will no longer start. The battery voltage is sitting at a healthy 12.8.

I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas. Sounds like an ECM or harness issue to me, but I'll let the dealer determine that. I did some searching on the forums here and couldn't find any similar issues, though I did find complaints here Buick Encore Electrical System Problems

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm hoping to get this solved quickly and go back to enjoying this vehicle, but it also looks like I may be talking to the dealer about a buy back.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
Experienced something very similar on my GMC Sierra a couple of years ago. Check your battery. If, 10 minutes after shutting it off the voltage is anywhere below 12.7 you need a new battery. The life of a battery is generally 5-6 years, but I've seen them go bad after 2. I'm betting yours is the original.

xITSxTHExPOPEx

Buick Ownership
2015 Encore
Checked it this morning, completely dead, battery is at 4.5 volts. Waiting on the tow truck to arrive now. Dealer service records show the battery was replaced 7/18, so I don't think the battery itself was the issue, it just got murdered by the car. There's obviously a pretty strong draw even when the vehicle is off.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
Checked it this morning, completely dead, battery is at 4.5 volts. Waiting on the tow truck to arrive now. Dealer service records show the battery was replaced 7/18, so I don't think the battery itself was the issue, it just got murdered by the car. There's obviously a pretty strong draw even when the vehicle is off.
Honestly without diagnosis that's a flat out guess. Very possible the alternator isn't working. Which seems odd on a car that age, but again certainly possible.

xITSxTHExPOPEx

Buick Ownership
2015 Encore
Well for a battery to go from 12.8 to 4.5 over night is gonna require atleast a few amps of a draw, even a weak battery shouldn't drop that quickly.

I will say though that the alternator very well could be the main culprit, and it's entirely possible the weird symptoms I'm seeing are due to low system voltage.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
That was my point about a bad battery. Modern vehicles require both the alternator and battery be up to snuff. A bad alternator can also short out a good battery. I've had it happen. Hope you get this figured out.

xITSxTHExPOPEx

Buick Ownership
2015 Encore
Looks like you were right @DocBrown, they tested the battery and found a bad cell, the alternator passed, and they found the power draw in an acceptable range. The battery just decided to crap out after a year, which isn't unheard of but definitely not common.

I'm glad it was a simple issue, I was getting very nervous. I purchased this thing a few days ago because my former DD broke down on the highway and needed to be towed twice in the last month, so I'm pretty paranoid about any vehicle issues right now lol.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
I don't blame you. Glad it simple. Thanks for posting the solution!

xITSxTHExPOPEx

Buick Ownership
2015 Encore
Alright, well the Encore is doing the same exact thing this evening, I'm making arrangements to have it towed to the dealer in the morning. They're probably gonna tell me its just another bad battery, but I find that very hard to believe. If anyone has suggestions or input please feel free to join in!

xITSxTHExPOPEx

Buick Ownership
2015 Encore
Picked the vehicle up yesterday. The service advisor showed me a handful of codes they pulled, all from different modules having connection issues with the ECM. The write up says they tested all grounds and a handful of pins in the main harness and the ECM itself, they replaced the ECM and road tested it and everything seems fine. Hopefully that was the issue and not a hail Mary.

So far everything is behaving but we'll see what happens. I'll update again in a few weeks after I've put some miles on it

Pedal Commander