• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

FAB, LKA and LDW functional?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
So I recently had my vehicle in to have them look at the control arms. While it was there I mentioned that the FAB never applies brakes, the LKA will often let the vehicle cross lanes and maybe 3x's the LDW beeped. Of course when I picked up the vehicle they told me everything was normal.

When I asked why the alert comes on but no brakes they tried to tell me braking only works in cruise. When I pointed out there are settings for this and GM has videos of operation where brakes are applied they said they could look again but said everything was fine. So has anyone actually had the brakes engage? I have tried my best to get it to engage but I fear if I wait longer to brake it will cause an accident.

I know I have read people mention that their LKA ping pongs but does anyone else see it occasionally drift over lines without any alert? For those that have had LDW go off were you actively steering but not signaling? When it did go off were you just crossing the line? The last time I got it to go off I was 4-5' over the line. Most of the roads I drive that would equal me hitting a tree.

Needless to say I am not impressed.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
When the crash avoidance warning pops up, if you don't apply the brakes and the following distance of the car ahead of you decreases, your car will automatically apply the brakes. It doesn't just work when the cruise control is on, so the dealer is wrong about that. My car has applied the brakes quite a few times after the warning pops up so it does work as it should without the cruise engaged.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
When the crash avoidance warning pops up, if you don't apply the brakes and the following distance of the car ahead of you decreases, your car will automatically apply the brakes. It doesn't just work when the cruise control is on, so the dealer is wrong about that. My car has applied the brakes quite a few times after the warning pops up so it does work as it should without the cruise engaged.
What gap setting do you have and how close did you have to get? I currently have mine set for largest gap and have gotten really close but still nothing. When I asked about testing it they said they can't due to liability. So I am hoping to be able to test it on my own to at least know if it works on my car.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
I have it set for the largest gap. I don't know exactly how close I was, but when the brakes were automatically applied, I felt I still had time to apply the brakes myself to avoid crashing into the car in front of me.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Maybe I am a puss but that isn't what I am experiencing. Maybe if it ever stops raining here I will grab a clip from my dash cam to show what I am seeing and if it aligns with anyone else.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Don't be concerned about this, your car will brake automatically to avoid crashing into the car in front of you.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
@Wlepse - my experience is identical to yours. I've only had the LDW beeps go off a handful of times (11k miles) and I was already in the other lane by about 10 inches.

I have no literature to back this up, but I don't believe that the forward accident avoidance braking is tied into the following distance that you can set for the cruise control.

I also find it annoying that the LDW volume is not tied onto the warning chime volume setting. The beeps are not very loud and therefore it may be chiming more often than I am aware but being drown out by music.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
The LKA is next to useless so don't rely on that.

The point of these stuff is that you should never rely on them. Pretend they don't exist and they might be able to save you in case everything on you goes wrong. Otherwise, pay full attention to the road and apply brakes whenever you feel the need to :)

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
100% agree you shouldn't rely on them but I paid for something and it should be functional. I don't want to find out in 4 yrs the hard way this stuff doesn't work. Then I have no recourse.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
100% agree you shouldn't rely on them but I paid for something and it should be functional. I don't want to find out in 4 yrs the hard way this stuff doesn't work. Then I have no recourse.
LKA and LDW are functional because it eventually drags you back to the direction you should be going, but that is provided that it has good visual of the road, the line is clear, weather is good, and your speed is within the range so that it can effectively control the direction. Anything can cause it to go wrong, and it is no autopilot.

FAB is functional because it beeps. When it beeps, it means that the car knows full well that it's moving towards something it doesn't want to crash into, and when time is right, it will brake. Best way to test it out: Place a large empty cardboard box on a quiet local road and drive towards it. No harm if you crash into it this way, but again, a cardboard is no car so if it doesn't work on the cardboard, it may still work on cars.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I also find it annoying that the LDW volume is not tied onto the warning chime volume setting. The beeps are not very loud and therefore it may be chiming more often than I am aware but being drown out by music.
The beep should mute the music, so you should always hear it no matter what you are listening to. Weirdly the beep volume seems to be tied with the music volume instead of warning chime volume

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Mine functions exactly like yours. LJA and LDW normal.

The way I read it in the manual, the FAB only helps you brake with more force once you touch the brake pedal. I've never noticed it helping me brake in that situation.

It does NOT automatically brake UNLESS you are on ACC. Reason it does not function is because (on other brands) it sometimes slams on the brakes when in a dip in the road or senses a metal guardrail. Very dangerous. On other brand forums, people complain that their FAB slammed on for no reason, causing near accidents.

All this does not bother me. 😇

4wheelforay

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
LKA and LDW are functional because it eventually drags you back to the direction you should be going, but that is provided that it has good visual of the road, the line is clear, weather is good, and your speed is within the range so that it can effectively control the direction. Anything can cause it to go wrong, and it is no autopilot.

FAB is functional because it beeps. When it beeps, it means that the car knows full well that it's moving towards something it doesn't want to crash into, and when time is right, it will brake. Best way to test it out: Place a large empty cardboard box on a quiet local road and drive towards it. No harm if you crash into it this way, but again, a cardboard is no car so if it doesn't work on the cardboard, it may still work on cars.
With the pedestrian friendly hood hinges on the Regals it might still be expensive if you hit the box.

I would suggest going at it in a couple attempts. 1'st attempt see if it recognizes the box... sometimes monotone surfaces don't trip the camera. Subsequent attempts see if it brakes. If you are in a parking lot I would recommend swerving vs. trying to brake, you might have better luck.

Couple other notes.

-FAB from other manufacturers has a low and high threshold for speed, make sure you're inside that window. If I was a betting man I'd shoot for 20 ish mph. It might not function below 10 mph but it might not recognize the threat and stop above 25...

-if you dab the brakes you will hit the object, period. As soon as you intervene the car will think the object is either A. not a threat or B. managed by you. We don't normally drive towards objects at speed so it is difficult to do without hesitating, what ever you decide to do make sure you commit to it.

-Driving towards and away from the sun has a HUGE affect on the camera, same if the sun is directly overhead (minimal shadows.)

Most importantly: Have Fun!

4wheelforay

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX

Here is a video that discusses the function in an 2018 Envision.

The line item description for this feature, and its associated RPO code (UGN), is the same for all 2018 and 2019 Buick Envisions and Regals (Sportback and TourX) leading me to believe that it will function the same.

For the 2020 model year there will be some changes in the naming conventions of these features (to avoid questions like those that are being asked here) for 2020 and beyond, for GM at least, when the vehicle is capable of applying the brakes it will have "Advanced" or "Enhanced" in the feature description.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Mine functions exactly like yours. LJA and LDW normal.

The way I read it in the manual, the FAB only helps you brake with more force once you touch the brake pedal. I've never noticed it helping me brake in that situation.

It does NOT automatically brake UNLESS you are on ACC. Reason it does not function is because (on other brands) it sometimes slams on the brakes when in a dip in the road or senses a metal guardrail. Very dangerous. On other brand forums, people complain that their FAB slammed on for no reason, causing near accidents.

All this does not bother me. 😇
That is wrong, the brakes are applied ANYTIME a frontal collision is about to happen. This is from Buick's TourX website:

FORWARD AUTOMATIC BRAKING
If available Forward Automatic Braking detects that a front-end collision situation is imminent, and you have not already applied the brakes, the brakes are automatically applied to help reduce the collision’s severity. When traveling at very low speeds, the technology may even help you avoid the collision altogether.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
With the pedestrian friendly hood hinges on the Regals it might still be expensive if you hit the box.

I would suggest going at it in a couple attempts. 1'st attempt see if it recognizes the box... sometimes monotone surfaces don't trip the camera. Subsequent attempts see if it brakes. If you are in a parking lot I would recommend swerving vs. trying to brake, you might have better luck.

Couple other notes.

-FAB from other manufacturers has a low and high threshold for speed, make sure you're inside that window. If I was a betting man I'd shoot for 20 ish mph. It might not function below 10 mph but it might not recognize the threat and stop above 25...

-if you dab the brakes you will hit the object, period. As soon as you intervene the car will think the object is either A. not a threat or B. managed by you. We don't normally drive towards objects at speed so it is difficult to do without hesitating, what ever you decide to do make sure you commit to it.

-Driving towards and away from the sun has a HUGE affect on the camera, same if the sun is directly overhead (minimal shadows.)

Most importantly: Have Fun!
The camera monitors the lane markers on the road for the lane keep feature. There's a radar device behind the grille that senses any objects in front of the vehicle and enables forward auto braking if a frontal crash is about to happen. A camera has no way of knowing if a vehicle is in your path since it's only a visual device, that's the job of the radar on the front of the vehicle.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
[
That is wrong, the brakes are applied ANYTIME a frontal collision is about to happen. This is from Buick's TourX website:

FORWARD AUTOMATIC BRAKING
If available Forward Automatic Braking detects that a front-end collision situation is imminent, and you have not already applied the brakes, the brakes are automatically applied to help reduce the collision’s severity. When traveling at very low speeds, the technology may even help you avoid the collision altogether.
Ok. I stand corrected, however remember there are many many errors in the Owners Manual and this may be one of them.

I have the (red dot and beeping) warning come on often but NEVER had the brakes come on until I hit my brakes.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Because of the heavy Love Bug infestation for the past couple weeks, I have a Love Bug Screen across the entire front of car I'm surprised that the ACC still works flawlessly.

As for Lane Keeping, I understand that it uses the windshield camera. Works flawlessly EXCEPT when I'm on a two lane road, with painted lanes, but NO SHOULDERS.

Also one other thing I still don't fully understand.
Sometimes I have a "gentle" lane correction and at other times, I have a very "forceful" lane correction.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
[

Ok. I stand corrected, however remember there are many many errors in the Owners Manual and this may be one of them.

I have the (red dot and beeping) warning come on often but NEVER had the brakes come on until I hit my brakes.
Either you weren't actually close enough to the vehicle in front of you or the system isn't working properly. If you are feeling brave you can test the system by accelerating towards a vehicle driving in front of you on a 4 lane road with no vehicles in the lane next to you. This will allow you to swerve into the lane next to you if the brakes aren't applied automatically. That way you won't have to worry about braking to avoid hitting the vehicle in front of you.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Either you weren't actually close enough to the vehicle in front of you or the system isn't working properly. If you are feeling brave you can test the system by accelerating towards a vehicle driving in front of you on a 4 lane road with no vehicles in the lane next to you. This will allow you to swerve into the lane next to you if the brakes aren't applied automatically. That way you won't have to worry about braking to avoid hitting the vehicle in front of you.
What you are describing is when you are driving with ACC. Yes it slams on brakes when on ACC.

What we have been talking about is when driving around town, Cruise Control OFF. Car pulls out from side street, or you come up too fast on stopped car in front of you. Red Dots on windshield flash and loud beeping. I hit my brakes. Car does not do it for me. If car is capable of doing it for me, I'm too fast for it as I get to the brake first. (Left foot braker when I drive an automatic).

These are two completely different things.

Last edited: