FAB, LKA and LDW functional?

4wheelforay

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
The camera monitors the lane markers on the road for the lane keep feature. There's a radar device behind the grille that senses any objects in front of the vehicle and enables forward auto braking if a frontal crash is about to happen. A camera has no way of knowing if a vehicle is in your path since it's only a visual device, that's the job of the radar on the front of the vehicle.
I don't doubt that the radar is the primary information gatherer for the precollision braking but the camera does work with the radar, the video I posted highlights this. There is some great info out there (the internet) about the necessity/desire to develop LiDar because of the amount of data that radar provides and the difficulty of disseminating that information by a car’s onboard computers, hence the camera supplementing the radar.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
What you are describing is when you are driving with ACC. Yes it slams on brakes when on ACC.

What we have been talking about is when driving around town, Cruise Control OFF. Car pulls out from side street, or you come up too fast on stopped car in front of you. Red Dots on windshield flash and loud beeping. I hit my brakes. Car does not do it for me. If car is capable of doing it for me, I'm too fast for it as I get to the brake first. (Left foot braker when I drive an automatic).

These are two completely different things.
This is how my 2018 Tour-X works. Build date 5/18. Don't know how other Regals or Tour-X work.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Most of the time the cruise control isn't being used, so it doesn't make sense that the auto braking only works when the cruise is enabled. City driving is the time when you need it the most, that's when people are likely to pull out in front of you when driving. I can't recall the auto braking ever activating when I'm driving on the highway with the cruise enabled, it's only happened to me in city driving with the cruise disabled.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
What you are describing is when you are driving with ACC. Yes it slams on brakes when on ACC.

What we have been talking about is when driving around town, Cruise Control OFF. Car pulls out from side street, or you come up too fast on stopped car in front of you. Red Dots on windshield flash and loud beeping. I hit my brakes. Car does not do it for me. If car is capable of doing it for me, I'm too fast for it as I get to the brake first. (Left foot braker when I drive an automatic).

These are two completely different things.
Basically, if you are able to stop the car yourself, the system won't do it for you. Because a computer system is way more capable of reacting within the last-minute window. Imagine you are driving, something pulls out and you are fully aware of it, preparing to step on the brake, just to realize the computer had slammed the brake on your behalf, this is extremely intrusive and isn't necessary. Applying brakes during cruise control is a completely different story as it also considers passenger comfort.

Again, you should have 100% awareness on the road and never fall asleep during driving. A system like this is strictly for last-minute crash prevention, and is not guaranteed, in any way, to work at any time.

If you wanted to see the system in action, Euro NCAP has videos testing the Insignia with a similar system. The test videos are under controlled conditions and in no way replicate every circumstance on the road. Now this being Buick as we know it, we have a very slight change of not having the same system. But from whatever material I can get hold of, there is evidence that our car is capable of the same. If your car beeps at you when it sees something, then there is zero reason why it cannot apply brake.

Hope this is clear.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I'm not about to test it, and no doubt anyone else here is crazy enough to test it.

If anyone here tries to test it, enter a post here from your hospital bed. 😱😤😡
Also let us know what year Tour-X or Regal you used. How much damage your car has, and when will you be released from the hospital.

Yes, I'm being FACETIOUS.

I'm satisfied with it working as is.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
I'm not about to test it, and no doubt anyone else here is crazy enough to test it.

If anyone here tries to test it, enter a post here from your hospital bed. 😱😤😡
Also let us know what year Tour-X or Regal you used. How much damage your car has, and when will you be released from the hospital.

Yes, I'm being FACETIOUS.

I'm satisfied with it working as is.
Someone could make a test similar to this with little risk

Foxbat

Michiana
Buick Ownership
2018 Quicksilver Regal Sportback Essence AWD
IIHS is working on testing Pedestrian Avoidance Systems with three new tests:
(warning: contains scenes of mannequin v. SUV, and we all know how that usually turns out…)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.