Factory antenna question

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
Has anyone replaced their goofy, non retractable factory antenna with something like a shark fin antenna, or something that retracts and still works with XM radio?

I've already had to replace mine once. I have to keep unscrewing my antenna and storing it in the glove box. When I go into the garage, or back out, the tip of the antenna just tips the garage door handle. It sends a vibration and sound echoing through the car. Also, every time I load anything on my roof crossbar rails, it seems the antenna is always in the way.

I looked at a 2015 Regal shark fin antenna at the dealer, but according to the service guy, "they have different threads".

I like to find something that folds down or is a lot shorter that won't interfere with my roof cargo.

bhawksfan

Chicagoland
Buick Ownership
2015 Encore Convenience FWD
First, if you are only using XM, you don't even need the antenna attached.
The last time I went to the car wash, I took mine off while in line and was able to pick up XM no problem.
I purchased a Stubby Antenna from Cravenspeed url - http://www.cravenspeed.com/products/The-Stubby-Antenna.html .
For $19.99 it's not bad - but not great. If you are 30 miles or less to the transmitters - no problem.
But if you are farther than that, the FM especially starts to get a little wonky.
I was 50 miles from the locals today, and reception was spotty at best.
I'm in the same boat you are : my garage door needs to go up 1-1-1/2 inches higher for me to clear with the factory antenna.
I didn't even think about it being an issue until I pulled it in the first time and heard the SPROING.

bhawksfan

Chicagoland
Buick Ownership
2015 Encore Convenience FWD
double post. sorry.

Last edited:

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
The last time I went to the car wash, I took mine off while in line and was able to pick up XM no problem.
I purchased a Stubby Antenna from Cravenspeed url - http://www.cravenspeed.com/products/The-Stubby-Antenna.html .
For $19.99 it's not bad - but not great. If you are 30 miles or less to the transmitters - no problem.
But if you are farther than that, the FM especially starts to get a little wonky.
I'm in the same boat you are : my garage door needs to go up 1-1-1/2 inches higher for me to clear with the factory antenna.
I didn't even think about it being an issue until I pulled it in the first time and heard the SPROING.

Great post. Thanks for the link. Now you know what I'm living. "Sproing" is just about exactly what I hear too.

When I drive with mine off, AM is non existent, FM is spotty, XM works OK but I don't seem to be able to connect with OnStar and do a remote start without the antenna.

I'll begin my search for a new antenna at your link.

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium

The Cravenspeed Stubby is what worked for me. Thanks for the link.
So for I haven't noticed any reception decrease, and you are right, the XM isn't affected by the antenna because I think the XM antenna is in the base. I'm not sure where the OnStar antenna is yet.

The Stubby took about 6 or 7 inches off the height so now I make it in the garage no problem.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!