Fair-Weather Riviera

CoCo_Riviera

Buick Newbie
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Buick Ownership
1997 Buick Riviera
Hello Buick Folk,
I have had this issue a couple of times when I'm driving my 1997 Riviera through heavy snow; I experience a power loss when accelerating through heavy snow. When I give it some gas, I'll recover that power but it doesn't seem to have much juice. Whenever I'm driving through heavy snow/freezing rain, I seem to get this problem. After driving a couple hundred miles from Ontario to Western New York, I had no issues; however, driving on the way home, through a bad snowstorm, the engine seemed to be struggling at times. I checked the engine bay and the air intake area, and it didn't seem to be clogged very badly.
Is the engine sucking in this wet snow and choking itself out, or what?
Any advice?
This is car has the typical supercharged 3.8L V6, 330 000 km, well maintained.

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
Only you, can check the air intake ducts for blockage of air flow. We can not speculate on what is the cause of power loss during severe weather storms.

CoCo_Riviera

Buick Newbie
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Buick Ownership
1997 Buick Riviera
That's a good point, and makes a lot of sense. I suppose the traction control would limit the power getting to the wheels to maintain better grip in those conditions. It also ran a little rough, mainly upon initial acceleration.
I'm sure the T-C has something to do with it.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
That's a good point, and makes a lot of sense. I suppose the traction control would limit the power getting to the wheels to maintain better grip in those conditions. It also ran a little rough, mainly upon initial acceleration.
I'm sure the T-C has something to do with it.

When the wheel sensors detect a spinning wheel, the traction control will apply the brake on that wheel to stop it. That will feel like a power loss. You should also hear the ABS motor buzz at the same time.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!