Fan won’t turn off - killed battery

Goswald79

Buick Ownership
2014 Encore
The fan on my wife’s 2014 Encore ran all night and killed the battery. I replaced the relay with no change. I am now looking for the coolant temp switch/sensor. Anybody know where it is located? Anybody have similar issue with the fan?

And yes, I joined today to ask this question. As I am currently driving my wife to work everyday. We plan to keep the car till it dies, so maybe I can post up more helpful things I discover as I go.

Thanks, Jason

Goswald79

Buick Ownership
2014 Encore
Quick update. Located the sensor. For anyone looking, it is just behind the intake tube in the side of the thermostat housing. I’ll get with the dealership tomorrow and buy a new one. Hoping this is the fix.

MelsRegal

Staff member
Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
did you check whether there is any current going to the sensor after the engine is cold?

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
Throwing parts it at is not a good way to go about this. And it could get needlessly expensive. As Mel suggested check for current and backtrack it from there.

NittanyDoug

Buick Ownership
Buick
I was out of town today and my wife's 2014 is also in the shop because of this. Ran her battery (less than 6 months old) down and she couldn't start. AAA jumped it and noticed it. She took it to the dealer close by since I'm out of town. Might know more tomorrow but paying shop labor and full price on parts.

Brutedawg20

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
anyone have updates on this issue? my wife's is doing this too. did it last week, fan was on for about 45 minutes and finally turned off by itself. we drove it a few times over the weekend short distances with no issue. today it happened again after her return from work 50min drive. I took it in to the dealership they had to disconnect the battery and will have an engine guy look at it tomorrow. service tech said he just had another in for this and it was the relay. I pulled what I thought was the relay and it didn't turn off...book showed 2 relays for the fan in the small fuse block (housed 3 relays). its a 2014 with 83K miles on it.
I just replaced the battery last month.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!