First Buick, has strange lag while accelerating

autocross55

Buick Ownership
2015 Regal premium ii AWD
I have owned many cars in my life but this is my first buick. I bought a 2015 regal premium ii AWD and I am loving it so far. I bought it to replace my 2015 Mazda6 after it was totaled. I had planned to just buy another Mazda but happen to come across this Buick while looking and really loved everything about it. I just have one issue that I am not sure about: When I start to accelerate into a turn from a stop there is a 1-2 second lag while moving where the car seems to do nothing. The car slows down like i have let off the gas pedal but the RPM's don't change then it takes back off like normal. Has anyone else experienced this?

JONNYESS

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick
GM JV squad engineering.

The turbo lag is very pronounced...noticed during my first shift during original test drive

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Supposedly there's some programming to mitigate torque steer when turning (poor man's torque converter via 'better' programming), I noticed this to a lesser effect in my 2015 Regal. It was almost impossible to accelerate out of a turn with the Regal. In my LaCrosse, issue doesn't seem to exist. I've even had some wheel spin accelerating out of a corner.

Hopefully what I'm thinking you're describing is the same thing. Disregard if not.

autocross55

Buick Ownership
GM JV squad engineering.

The turbo lag is very pronounced...noticed during my first shift during original test drive
This is my first turbo so I don't have anything to compare to. I had read some reports that they had fixed the turbo lag by the 2015 model year.

autocross55

Buick Ownership
Supposedly there's some programming to mitigate torque steer when turning (poor man's torque converter via 'better' programming), I noticed this to a lesser effect in my 2015 Regal. It was almost impossible to accelerate out of a turn with the Regal. In my LaCrosse, issue doesn't seem to exist. I've even had some wheel spin accelerating out of a corner.

Hopefully what I'm thinking you're describing is the same thing. Disregard if not.
Sounds pretty similar. My Mazda had periodic throttle lag due to the drive by wire system. A software update at the dealer fixed it. Is that the kind of "better" programming you're referring to or do you mean aftermarket tune?

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
I don't recall experiencing this throttle lag when my car had the factory tune. But it definitely isn't there with the Trifecta tune when I hammer it when exiting a corner. The factory tune is lame when it comes to power output, transmission shifting and throttle response.

An aftermarket tune makes the car drive the way a sporty car should be. Boost comes on much earlier relative to throttle position with the Trifecta tune. I don't need to go wide open throttle to pass another car, at half throttle the car moves right out now.

Last edited:

agaric

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2017 Regal GS AWD Crimson Red Tint Coat
My 17 GS drives completely different from the 14 PII we traded in.
While the lag in the 14 was very noticeable with the 17 I almost have to deliberately put the car in a low rpm condition to have lag. Once the revs are up it's not a problem. I am also happy with how the trans shifts. No harshness or odd behavior.
There is lots of room for a tune to improve things so that is on the list.

ougatce

Canada
Buick Ownership
regal premium 1 2015
This may sound stupid but ive noticed lost of power/lag this winter. So the dealership gave me a bottle of Delco pink liquid fuel ...believe it or not its running better now.

D.Sperow

Buick Newbie
South of San Francisco
Buick Ownership
2016 Regal 2.0T AWD
I think its inherent in the software because of drive by wire. I have a 2016 Regal with the 2.0 and its annoying. I had the same problem with my 09 GTI and bought a Remus responder, works great.
I found DTE makes a "pedalbox" that does the same thing, but its listed for the Opel Insignia (same car) I e-mailed them to see if it would fit on my car. Will let you know what I find.
Cheers,
Dave

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
16' Buick Regal GS "Ebony Metallic" & 17' BMW M3 F80
I think its inherent in the software because of drive by wire. I have a 2016 Regal with the 2.0 and its annoying. I had the same problem with my 09 GTI and bought a Remus responder, works great.
I found DTE makes a "pedalbox" that does the same thing, but its listed for the Opel Insignia (same car) I e-mailed them to see if it would fit on my car. Will let you know what I find.
Cheers,
Dave
Hmm....My 16 GS i never have any lag when turning on or off the freeway to a stop or full throttle.

pkgmsu2000

Contributing Member
Denver, CO
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS
Why would anyone spend a few hundred dollars on a pedal box “band aid” on just one area.... when you could spend a little more on a tune that actually fixes and addresses multiple areas???? Just my 2 cents

pigsnzen

BFE, KY
Buick Ownership
'12 GS 6MT
The Pedal Box is a plug in between the pedal and the harness, no changes to the tune, and reduced potential warranty issues, IMO.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.