• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Foggy windows

JoeBlog

Buick Owner
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
It snowed here last night, and the temp dropped to, well, freezing. I was out running errands, and I had my defroster (only) set to 80 with the fan on about halfway. I began to notice my windows fogging up, first the edges of the windshield, then the side windows. It did this during the cold snap we had last month, too, but I figured it was because it was -7 outside. My question is: does anyone else’s TourX exhibit this behavior? My old 2006 Pontiac gets thru the wettest, coldest days without issues, but for some reason, my 9,100 mile 2019 Buick can’t keep the windows clear below 40 degrees.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
It snowed here last night, and the temp dropped to, well, freezing. I was out running errands, and I had my defroster (only) set to 80 with the fan on about halfway. I began to notice my windows fogging up, first the edges of the windshield, then the side windows. It did this during the cold snap we had last month, too, but I figured it was because it was -7 outside. My question is: does anyone else’s TourX exhibit this behavior? My old 2006 Pontiac gets thru the wettest, coldest days without issues, but for some reason, my 9,100 mile 2019 Buick can’t keep the windows clear below 40 degrees.
Do you have the AC on? That's what you need to take the moisture out.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Yes, I have the same problem with fogging and/or defrosting the windshield. Doesn't happen all the time but when it does, it's a real PITA. It usually happens in the most severe weather when you need visibility the most. Also, super fun when the rear side windows fog up too.

JoeBlog

Buick Owner
Wichita
Buick Ownership
I didn’t have the A/C on, mostly because I don’t need that arrangement in my other car, so I’m not used to doing it. I’ll try doing that. Also, I keep the recirc on because I’ve read it’s a way to keep rodents from becoming accustomed to living in your car without permission. Not sure if possible rodent infestation (it’s never been an issue; my 1967 Wildcat convertible has lived in the garage for years without incident) outweighs foggy windows. I think I’ll try the A/C first.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
I didn’t have the A/C on, mostly because I don’t need that arrangement in my other car, so I’m not used to doing it. I’ll try doing that. Also, I keep the recirc on because I’ve read it’s a way to keep rodents from becoming accustomed to living in your car without permission. Not sure if possible rodent infestation (it’s never been an issue; my 1967 Wildcat convertible has lived in the garage for years without incident) outweighs foggy windows. I think I’ll try the A/C first.
Why would you worry about rodents while driving?
You need to turn Recirculation off while driving in cold humid conditions.

JoeBlog

Buick Owner
Wichita
Buick Ownership
Why would you worry about rodents while driving?
You need to turn Recirculation off while driving in cold humid conditions.
I’m not worried about rodents while I’m driving; my TourX can outrun anything they’ve got under their hood. It’s forgetting to put it back in recirc when I park it for the day. I’ve never had a car that was so sensitive to cold humidity before. I’ll learn to adjust my habits now that I know. And any mouse that wants a race is gonna need a bigger hemi. 😉

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
You guys that are seeing fogging up are running the automatic climate control in auto mode?

JoeBlog

Buick Owner
Wichita
Buick Ownership
You guys that are seeing fogging up are running the automatic climate control in auto mode?
I haven’t tried that either, but it’s weird trying to figure out why this car is so susceptible to fogging. I thought about my other, past cars, and can’t come up with a memory where I had to have a particular climate setting to be effective. With the weather improving for the immediate minute, I may not get a chance to test out what works the best, but now I’ve learned what to try.

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
Old "dumb"/manual style climate systems turn recirculate off on any setting except AC. On defrost, they also activate the AC compressor to pull moisture by default. Our 2012 Maxima has the same fogging problem with it's automatic climate control. My 05 truck, 97 Jeep and 87 GN don't have the issue with their dumb/manual climate control systems.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Yes, I tried that.
Then it is strange. Perhaps some seals are not properly installed, causing the humidity leaking in/out.
The auto function shall clear the fog up fairly quickly and I have been observing that with different vehicles.

jclin4

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX Essence
Yeah, I don't think this is a widespread problem. I've not experienced any fogging on my TourX unless climate control is off. But I have it on more than not in this car, compared to prior cars because there is apparently no way to have air passively come through the vents as you drive.

adam728

Buick Ownership
Buick
It’s forgetting to put it back in recirc when I park it for the day.
I'm not positive on the Regal, but many new cars automatically close the fresh air blend door when shut off (basically setting it to recirculate). GM was even doing it as far back as the 98 LeSabre I had.

300T

Buick Ownership
Insignia Sports Tourer 260 4x4
I believe the recirc function has an auto mode, separate to Auto climate, in order to speed up heating/cooling, so it could possibly be in recirculation when you don't want it.

Press the climate Auto button and then press the climate button and you'll see the recirc image on the nav screen has Auto above it. Pressing the recirc button on the climate panel switches the auto recirc setting off until you switch the climate system back to Auto. The manual details the auto recirc function and how to permanently switch it off.

Jmlo96

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX Essence
Make sure you don't have a water leak in the car. I'd check the spare tire well.

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
I would also check your cabin air filter, make sure it's still clean and nothing has accumulated on it. Although for something so low mileage, I doubt it's an issue, but an easy enough check.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!