Foot activated lift gate

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Doesn't seem to be working. I see the Buick logo illuminated on the ground, but no matter how much I wave my foot around, the door doesn't open. Any thoughts on an easy fix?
Thanks.

The Invisible One

SpencerK,

I had the same trouble with mine when I bought the car. The dealer had to reset some computer to get it to work. His response was that they get cluttered up with codes sometimes. I haven't had an issue again since that declutter. But, if the error is in RAM then disconnecting the battery for a while might fix it. I never tried that, so I can't say for sure if it will work.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
That dealer's description is so completely made up it's actually really funny. Hope mine doesn't get "cluttered up" with codes... LOL. I never understood why they have to make up some crazy story. All that matters is that it works now, but you have to wonder if they make up stories because they are not too smart or if they just think their customers are not too smart.

FavaBean

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Make sure you are using the proper motion. Waving your foot around doesn't activate the lift gate. Point your toe and give the logo a single light "kick" from directly behind.

The Invisible One

That dealer's description is so completely made up it's actually really funny. Hope mine doesn't get "cluttered up" with codes... LOL. I never understood why they have to make up some crazy story. All that matters is that it works now, but you have to wonder if they make up stories because they are not too smart or if they just think their customers are not too smart.
This is one of the reasons I won't go back to this dealer.

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Make sure you are using the proper motion. Waving your foot around doesn't activate the lift gate. Point your toe and give the logo a single light "kick" from directly behind.
Oddly, it now seems to be working. Might be because I was waving my foot around! Thanks.

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
You definitely need the proper motion to get the liftgate to open or close. Front to back motion like you're kicking a field goal.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I had problems at first- some other cars that have it did commercials where people are waving their foot around. You have to kick forward, then pull your foot back away from the bumper... took me some experimenting to get it down. Basically the same movement as if you wanted to kick someone in the knee, then put your foot back on the ground next to your other one (assuming you have two).

sined240

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Also, doesn't hurt to go through the on-screen settings menu and confirm it again, this is what activated mine.

DasWagen

Buick Ownership
2018 Tour x
I went out to the garage the other night and the logo light was illuminated. I waved my foot left to right - no luck. I'll try front to back.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I went out to the garage the other night and the logo light was illuminated. I waved my foot left to right - no luck. I'll try front to back.
It’s front to back. Side to side will not work (I’ve mistakenly tried a ton! Ha).

I’ve found the logo doesn’t always illuminate, but I can still kick and get the hatch to open / shut.

DasWagen

Buick Ownership
2018 Tour x
It’s front to back. Side to side will not work (I’ve mistakenly tried a ton! Ha).

I’ve found the logo doesn’t always illuminate, but I can still kick and get the hatch to open / shut.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I found it interesting the logo was glowing in the dark and no one had been near the car for hours.

FavaBean

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
It glows when it senses a key fob within 10 feet of the vehicle. (But sometimes if I quickly walk to the rear after I turn off the ignition, it won't illuminate.)

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
It works very reliably when I have a fast kick motion. A quick sideways left to right wave seems to work as well.

If you're having a problem with it, try speeding up your kick.

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
For a fun time, try shuffling your feet while trying to unload something heavy from the trunk. You might hear three Bings and realize the car is about to eat you. Fortunately I recognized the sound and got out of the way, then hit the button to stop it.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
For a fun time, try shuffling your feet while trying to unload something heavy from the trunk. You might hear three Bings and realize the car is about to eat you. Fortunately I recognized the sound and got out of the way, then hit the button to stop it.
Yeah, I have done this as well... We can disable that option for kick to close, but I just try to be more aware of my foot placement now.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.