• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

For the record, FCA WORKS!!!

JoeBlog

Buick Newbie
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
Today I was driving on a bypass highway, doing 60-65ish. There were signs indicating the right lane was ending due to construction, so people began populating the left lane. I did, and got behind a plumbers van. On his right, a senior citizen of the blue haired variety, driving a white Cadillac, suddenly cut in front of him and HIT HER BRAKES FOR NO @#%$&*@!! REASON!! I didn’t get to see that part until later. My spidey sense was already predicting danger, so my foot had been over the brake pedal as this automotive ballet developed, but as my foot began touching the pedal to stop the car, the pedal dropped from under it as the LED’s began flashing. The car took over stopping even as I was hitting the brakes. I stopped with about 5 feet to spare. The van swerved toward the median to avoid her. While I don’t recommend testing it in this manner, this car managed to give me yet another reason for smiling every time I get into it.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Glad yours works...mine doesn't. I still have to go back to have them see the videos of it not working.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
I thought you meant Fiat Chrysler America...we all know that’s not true.

Keep in mind AEB/FCA only works if you are not braking. If you have your foot on the pedal already it figures you’re paying attention. You may get a collision warning but the system will not brake for you anymore.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Yeah no foot on brake...light flashes but no braking. One day I felt particularly daring and waiting till the flashing stop and still nothing.

JoeBlog

Buick Newbie
Wichita
Buick Ownership
I thought you meant Fiat Chrysler America...we all know that’s not true.

Keep in mind AEB/FCA only works if you are not braking. If you have your foot on the pedal already it figures you’re paying attention. You may get a collision warning but the system will not brake for you anymore.
Yeah. Kinda like the LCA. I’ve noticed that if I drift toward the lines (tested it; no alcohol involvement), it’ll pull me over gently, but if I’m giving the slightest bit of steering input, I get full authority.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Glad yours works...mine doesn't. I still have to go back to have them see the videos of it not working.

I don't think mine does either in the limited testing I've done. Haven't had the guts to get super-close to anything with no braking. Any tips? What did you do to ensure no damage? Drive into a giant Foamy shaving cream puff? :LOL:

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I was just testing a ton one day and eventually was able to feel more comfortable waiting longer to brake.

JBRock

Medina, OH
Buick Ownership
2020 black Regal GS
I was just setting up my new GS and noticed in settings ( I think ) that you can set it up as alarm only or alarm and brake . . . Check to see how yours is set . . . . . . there are a ton of settings, you'll have to go through them until you find the correct one.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Yeah I remember something like that too, the dealer thought the same thing last time I brought it in. Then when they saw it was set up up correctly and said they can't test it due to liability. I asked what their liability was if I was in an accident and they had no answer. That is why I started to collect video from my dash cam.

JoeBlog

Buick Newbie
Wichita
Buick Ownership
Good to hear it works, JoeB. What about the cars stopping behind you?
There weren’t any, fortunately. I tend to ride the “back of the pack” in situations like that for this very reason.

landsharkmz3

I am glad yours intervened and worked well.

These systems are imperfect at best. This test report from AAA last fall shows how bad these systems can be at avoiding collisions with pedestrians. It is an interesting read.

https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/aar/files/Research-Report-Pedestrian-Detection.pdf

Most of the systems are based on the Mobileye system (as I am pretty sure ours is as well). The manufacturers then fill out the features and action of braking. Some obviously do this much better than others. The Chevy Malibu (our car's cousin) performed horribly in this test.

Here is another video of easier scenarios, some of which still fail.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Here is a video of the Opel in testing...go towards the end for the safety/accident avoidance stuff.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!