Front Collision Avoidance Alert Encore 2015 (early unit)

Ross Koning

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore
I bought a new (but on a dealer lot since manufacture in 12/14) 2015 Encore, loaded.
I like almost everything. But the front collision avoidance system does not seem to work.

I set it for the most-distant detection.
It detects the car in front of me when I'm over 25 mph, and the green car icon lights up just fine.
I speed up to close in on the car in front of me, my wife is freaking out, I'm getting worried.
There is NO warning chime or warning display. I slam on the brakes to avoid the collision.

I have tried all three sensitivity levels; nothing will give me any alert.
I've checked the collision avoidance settings in the vehicle settings area but there are no options dealing with forward collision detection.
The lane-drift warnings work just fine. The parking assist works great (but you have to activate it each and every time you want it).

I'm thinking I got one of the first 2015 cars off the line at Daewoo and forward collision detection doesn't work and it has a defect that Buick is not acknowledging.
Buick is not listing my VIN with any recalls.

Do you get any warnings if you are in a near-collision with your 2015 Encore?

CPatrice

Boston, MA
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore Premium named "Java Joe"
It's so interesting that you brought this up. I had my car at the dealer's two weeks ago for two days for the exact same issue. They swore that the Front Collisi on Avoidance alert was working jut fine. Here is what I noticed with my 2014 Encore:

First, I put it on a low setting because Boston is very difficult city to drive in, and aggressive driving,i.e. sudden stops and starts and getting right up behind people who are going slow is just normal. Most of the time, the green car light will appear, but it won't beep at all, even when I've done some death-defying moves involving going airborne, nearly missing a family of four, etc (JK). But once out of every ten drives, the near collision system will go crazy, beeping wildly at Boston moves it normally ignores. Again, after two days at the Buick dealer, I was told that the system works just fine. Really? I don't believe them.

You shouldn't have to re-select Park Assist each time. On the 2014, it's a button on the center console near the bottom that stays on once it's pressed.

My infortainment system was pretty messed up, and the dealership did a hard reset of that. Perhaps you should stay on your dealer to "reset" your forward collision detection reserccu?

texan

Buick Ownership
Buick
The forward collision alert on my 2014 Encore works just fine, although some times I do get false alerts. It is a camera-only system (no radar); so it will get tripped up by tree shadows or discolorations on the road. Given that your lane departure warning works fine, I imagine the camera is OK, since both systems use the same camera.

Also, my park assist is on by default whenever I shift in reverse. I believe there's a setting in the menu for that.

One thing to try before taking the car to the dealer is to reset to factory settings (should be in personalization menu).

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
Did you push the button for it? Mine must be set for close, as the button only works at very slow speeds.

Detroit, USA
I bought a new (but on a dealer lot since manufacture in 12/14) 2015 Encore, loaded.
I like almost everything. But the front collision avoidance system does not seem to work.

I set it for the most-distant detection.
It detects the car in front of me when I'm over 25 mph, and the green car icon lights up just fine.
I speed up to close in on the car in front of me, my wife is freaking out, I'm getting worried.
There is NO warning chime or warning display. I slam on the brakes to avoid the collision.

I have tried all three sensitivity levels; nothing will give me any alert.
I've checked the collision avoidance settings in the vehicle settings area but there are no options dealing with forward collision detection.
The lane-drift warnings work just fine. The parking assist works great (but you have to activate it each and every time you want it).

I'm thinking I got one of the first 2015 cars off the line at Daewoo and forward collision detection doesn't work and it has a defect that Buick is not acknowledging.
Buick is not listing my VIN with any recalls.

Do you get any warnings if you are in a near-collision with your 2015 Encore?

Hello Ross Koning,

I’m sorry you are experiencing difficulties with your Front Collision Avoidance System and we certainly want to get that working for you. If we can look into this further, please send us a private message with your VIN, contact information, mileage and preferred dealership.

Sincerely,

Alison B.
Buick Customer Care

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
All my cars have the pre-collision alert system in them with the Subaru Eyesight system being the most advanced I've used to date. The Lexus even has Driver Attention Monitor, which actually monitors the position of your eyes.

So that being said, the Buick system is very basic. But it does work, and it works pretty good. You just have to remember, if it starts beeping, you BETTER have your foot on the brake....NOW!

I think the problem of why you can't set it off by coming up on someone rear end is the difference in closing speeds isn't enough to set off the system. And I don't doubt you don't have big enough kahoonas to come up on someones tail fast enough to set off the system.

Sometimes when there are a few parked cars along the side of the road, and it is a slight left hand bend, and I am going about 35 mph, when it looks like I'm coming up on those cars, but I am watching and following the bend of the road, my warning system will think I'm heading into those parked cars and beep at me.

One time I was looking down (at what I can't remember) and the cars started to slow and stop in front of me, it beeped, I looked up and hit the brakes at the same time, and it actually saved me. At least I want to think so.

mwwerner

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I just bought a Premium 2017, and the Foward Collision Alert is absolutely worthless and very disappointing. How can Buick brag about their lineup when a lower priced Subaru Crosstrex has an excellent Autonomous Braking and Adaptive Cruise in the Eyesight system?

I have tried to test the system, but don't have the guts to come up on a vehicle as fast as i was. I would think the system could surely give me the audible warning far before i'm sweating bullets in a test. if the system goes off, you better be ready to lock up the brakes and pray.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
Buick's forward collision avoidance (FCA) alert is a basic but efficient system. For those of you claiming it doesn't work, have you cleaned your windshield, particularly in front of the camera lens? Maybe you have a damaged front sensor or two? While I have a different Buick model, my FCA alert works well, sounding both when I approach another vehicle too fast and when one stops quickly in front of me. It could use some tech upgrades to recognize when it is on curves that bend left (as others noted above) because while driving, parked cars, cars driving the other way on a divided highway and when I am on elevated ramps have all set off false alarms. I wish it recognized turn signals on vehicles in front of me, too.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners