front struts

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Going by the vehicle name maybe one of the Canadian forum members will chime in for something regional.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800
For the OP, enter your VIN on a US based GM dealer (such as here: Genuine GM Parts | GM Parts Outlet ) that sells parts to figure out the part number for your front struts/strut cartridges. I would want KYB struts myself but there does seem to be some confusion as to whether they are compatible with your larger wheeled car or not; RockAuto lists them as excluding 17" and above wheels while TDotPerformance shows the same KYB SR4089 as being compatible with ALL submodels of your car? One might call the manufacturer for clarification (particularly for what front strut CARTRIDGE you need in your case; again, have the factory part number for an interchangeability search) but it also appears Delco parts are available (but be mindful to order at least their OE level; I would go for KYB only because they may likely be better).

When you do figure out what you need; given yours is a W-Body I believe you can replace just the strut cartridges from under the hood. This means you can keep and not even have to touch nor remove the original springs, which are probably fine, and not have to bother with an alignment and all that jazz. See the video below for more info:

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
It appears they may have changed it on the later W-Bodies then but I can't tell for sure whether there is access from above or not to just change the cartridge, which isn't typical on most models. It does look different anyways.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Here's the front and rear suspension for a 2008 Buick Allure - Lacrosse, so you are now specifically proven wrong!
090428MW06-061.png
030204MW07-010.png

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
That's right, A 2008 Buick Allure, but not necessarily THE 2008 Buick Allure in question which has "17" and larger wheels." That's why it would be best for the OP to search with his VIN on a GM dealer's website that sells parts online and which will specifically list the part number of the front strut specific to HIS Allure through GM's own system. Once that part number is obtained it can be searched alongside interchange numbers for the corresponding part of other brands, of which there may be better ones available than were used from the factory.

As shown in the video earlier W-Body cars used a strut where its cartridge could be advantageously replaced from under the hood without otherwise having to touch the spring; I indicated this MAY be the case for the Allure that is also a W-Body and what it would mean if it were. If it weren't like that, it should be fairly instant to figure it out for the OP given I don't have one in front of me. The video you gave shows the whole assembly being replaced, not the cartridge. Typically if only the cartridge is to be replaced the entire assembly has to be removed but at least it's not the case on some earlier vehicles of the same platform. The cartridge alone is also available for this car but appears to be the type that will require fastening at the bottom, meaning it indeed likely can't be replaced as previously suggested. Thanks and congratulations on your occasionally being so on top of things?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Your post is wrong, again, ACDelco doesn't use that type of cartridge strut on the Lacrosse or Allure for any wheel size front or rear. I don't have the time or the crayons to explain it any further.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
Ironic given the elementary attempt at a shot.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
For the OP, enter your VIN on a US based GM dealer (such as here: Genuine GM Parts | GM Parts Outlet ) that sells parts to figure out the part number for your front struts/strut cartridges. I would want KYB struts myself but there does seem to be some confusion as to whether they are compatible with your larger wheeled car or not; RockAuto lists them as excluding 17" and above wheels while TDotPerformance shows the same KYB SR4089 as being compatible with ALL submodels of your car? One might call the manufacturer for clarification (particularly for what front strut CARTRIDGE you need in your case; again, have the factory part number for an interchangeability search) but it also appears Delco parts are available (but be mindful to order at least their OE level; I would go for KYB only because they may likely be better).

When you do figure out what you need; given yours is a W-Body I believe you can replace just the strut cartridges from under the hood. This means you can keep and not even have to touch nor remove the original springs, which are probably fine, and not have to bother with an alignment and all that jazz. See the video below for more info:

GM doesn't show a cartridge for any of the suspensions including the FE4 sport suspension, see the link below.

The KYB SR4089 isnt a cartridge either.

Rockauto shows struts with and without springs but no cartridges.

Last edited:

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
A VIN specific search through GMPartsDirect or a similar site would be best and yes the KYB SR4089 is the complete unit for the front, but question is whether it's compatible with all models of the Allure or not.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
KYB SR4089 is not Rob's question, nor anyone else on the forum. ACdelco makes the strut for the CXS V8 Allure Lacrosse confirmed by seeing it on the site for the 18" wheel, time to move on!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!