Front Suspension Noise - Looking for Similar Experience!

Thread starter #1
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Hi All, I've been experiencing this noise in the front suspension when the car is under braking while going over a bump. (Any bump) This issue persisted about 3000 kms already. There is no noise that I can identify when driving over bumps/potholes while not braking.

sample video here

This is also very temperature-sensitive and will more likely to happen in cold weather. Last time I went to the dealer the car was not in the mood of reproducing the noise and the dealer said that this is a new vehicle and some times the issue is not readily identifiable or solvable, which I'd say is really bullsh*t since the front suspension is basically just a regular McPherson from the Malibu.

I'm planning a re-visit late autumn when the issue is more reproducible. I don't want to leave it long like this if it's a lubrication issue.

Looking for similar experience owners! In this way I can provide the dealer about the additional information so that they know where to look at. Last time they were not able to pinpoint the issue despite hearing the noise themselves. Thanks!

brand213

Buick Ownership
TourX
Hi All, I've been experiencing this noise in the front suspension when the car is under braking while going over a bump. (Any bump) This issue persisted about 3000 kms already. There is no noise that I can identify when driving over bumps/potholes while not braking.

sample video here

This is also very temperature-sensitive and will more likely to happen in cold weather. Last time I went to the dealer the car was not in the mood of reproducing the noise and the dealer said that this is a new vehicle and some times the issue is not readily identifiable or solvable, which I'd say is really bullsh*t since the front suspension is basically just a regular McPherson from the Malibu.

I'm planning a re-visit late autumn when the issue is more reproducible. I don't want to leave it long like this if it's a lubrication issue.

Looking for similar experience owners! In this way I can provide the dealer about the additional information so that they know where to look at. Last time they were not able to pinpoint the issue despite hearing the noise themselves. Thanks!
Same issue.
My car has been the dealer for 3 days now.

brand213

Buick Ownership
TourX
Dealer has finally replicated the sound.
They are pointing to the brake pads.
I new set has been ordered, guess I’ll find out tomorrow!

MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I've tried to do a little digging into some Vauxhall forums from the UK. One person mentioned a creaking when turning at slow speeds and going over bumps. I have noticed a sound change in the suspension when hitting certain bumps... from a normal low 'thud' to more of a 'creak/rattle' so I believe there is some validity there.

I'd say the sound we are experiencing in this thread is more of a 'grind/crunch' but the more data we can collect the better. I have no faith a dealer is going to be able to solve this issue without just throwing parts at it.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Yah I noticed this noise right at the beginning and it don't bother me. It has not gotten worst nor has the car developed any handling / braking issues. All I can say is my Sportback has extremely competent brakes.

One of the car magazines tested the braking of the Sportback and the GS and Audi A5 and BMW 540. and the Sportback stopped in the shortest distance !
:LOL:

I am not very nice to my cars. Front tires have less than half tread left. I've had the car for 6 months lol.
If I can't abuse it, I don't wanna use it.

The thing I don't get, is why people say they feel safe with me driving LMAO.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Well brakes have been replaced, noise still exists.
Could be sway bar bushings. Probably the bushings are fairy hard rubber to increase their lifespan. At least it's the only thing I can think of.

Only way to validate my theory is to take the sway bar mount bushings off and grease them inside and out before re-installing.

I'd have to look at the sway bar end links to see if they could also creak. But I'll do that when I change to winter tires.

brand213

Buick Ownership
TourX
Could be sway bar bushings. Probably the bushings are fairy hard rubber to increase their lifespan. At least it's the only thing I can think of.

Only way to validate my theory is to take the sway bar mount bushings off and grease them inside and out before re-installing.

I'd have to look at the sway bar end links to see if they could also creak. But I'll do that when I change to winter tires.
Car only has 1000 miles on it, dealer can keep it until they figure it out.

fng

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
Or, the bushings are relatively hard to improve handling. It's quite common for aftermarket performance sway bars to come with urethane (harder) bushings. Less movement in the harder bushings typically translates to crisper handling, but results in a bit harsher ride.

Thread starter #10
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Yah I noticed this noise right at the beginning and it don't bother me. It has not gotten worst nor has the car developed any handling / braking issues. All I can say is my Sportback has extremely competent brakes.

One of the car magazines tested the braking of the Sportback and the GS and Audi A5 and BMW 540. and the Sportback stopped in the shortest distance !
:LOL:

I am not very nice to my cars. Front tires have less than half tread left. I've had the car for 6 months lol.
If I can't abuse it, I don't wanna use it.

The thing I don't get, is why people say they feel safe with me driving LMAO.
From a Mechanical Engineering background I'd say if a noise is generated, something is rubbing against another - and if something's rubbing against another, it means they are both going to wear faster. I don't like anything in the suspension to wear faster than they should.

Thanks guys for the reply by the way, really helped me understand if the issue is wide-spread or just a single-case.

Back to your post, I have no doubt that the brakes are amazing, but it doesn't justify the noise. There are loads of cars equipped with strong brake and I've only heard of the current Regal to have this issue.

Also another piece of information, the noise is noticeable ONLY when the car is cold, for some reason. The day I went to the track, there was no noise I could notice and that was after a 100km drive to the track

Thread starter #11
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Or, the bushings are relatively hard to improve handling. It's quite common for aftermarket performance sway bars to come with urethane (harder) bushings. Less movement in the harder bushings typically translates to crisper handling, but results in a bit harsher ride.
I could understand the harsher ride but the noise seems too loud to be ignorable, it's like two pieces of metals under friction, not healthy at all.

Buick Ownership
Buick
I have the front end clunking under moderate braking on my TourX. It has done it since new and has 8k on the odometer now. Didnt mention to the dealer during my first visit as I didnt have time to deal with it and I couldn't duplicate.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
Heard it again a few days ago and it's sort of like a loose balljoint sound, or a sway bar hitting something sound.
But besides the sound, there is no other symptoms to collaborate any diagnosis.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
Dealer has now replaced both control arms.
Awaiting tech to drive to to see if it’s still making noise..
A few more days in the shop and this Tourx is a lemon!
A noise doesn't make a car a lemon.
It starts, it drives, it brakes, everytime. I see no problem.
If it was something serious / safety wise, any mechanic would find the problem.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Car has been out of commission for over 20 days.
Oh my. I'm going to bring mine in soon for the same issue. I hear it (at least) every weekday as I leave work and apply my brake at the bottom of a hill on a rough road.

I can't believe they haven't figured this problem out yet... "It's just a noise" is not a valid excuse for a brand new car. I have never been in a car that made noises like this upon braking, short of ABS activation. My car also has a couple of interior rattles they're going to have to remediate as well. It seems like a reasonable expectation for a "quiet tuned" car to not make lots of weird noises.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.