• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Front Suspension Noise - Looking for Similar Experience!

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Thanks for the picture.... Was going to have mine done tomorrow, but my concern was, is this a noise only issue, and not a structural problem.... Cancelling my appointment and sticking with my forged steel arms for now, rather than these stamped metal versions... Maybe well get a full explanation of the change from Buick...
Maybe well get a full explanation of the change from Buick...
Yeah, that TSB is rather vague regarding what the issue actually is.
As the local deal insists the the replicate the noise and it only does it when cold for first few miles. i think I can sit on this until next winter.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Maybe well get a full explanation of the change from Buick...
Yeah, that TSB is rather vague regarding what the issue actually is.
As the local deal insists the the replicate the noise and it only does it when cold for first few miles. i think I can sit on this until next winter.
I asked nicely and they ordered the parts for me without an in-person diagnosis. ;-)

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Finally got above 40ºF here in KC when I had my dealer appointment Friday. (Had asked on phone if they could order parts w/o seeing it, was told no.)

Went for a drive with dealer tech and of course could not replicate the noise that is so evident in colder temps. Tech talked to Service Manager upon our return and he was like, YES, ORDER THE PARTS ANYWAY. There's also a factory paint issue on my driver door -- I showed Tech and she saw it right away and said yep we'll fix that too, and said they'd remove the front license plate bracket no problem.

I was impressed with this dealer which is a different one from my selling dealer. I went to this one Friday b/c it's a large dealer (#2 in Buick sales USA) and I figured they'd seen this issue. And they have. So that's another plus as my car won't be the guinea pig. Parts will be in next week.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Thanks for the picture.... Was going to have mine done tomorrow, but my concern was, is this a noise only issue, and not a structural problem.... Cancelling my appointment and sticking with my forged steel arms for now, rather than these stamped metal versions... Maybe well get a full explanation of the change from Buick...
Doesn't sound like a structural issue, but could be that the old control arm causes some kind of rubbing.
What is the source about the original part being forged steel while the new part is stamped metal? Looks to me that a part like this should be made by stamping, not to mention stamping itself can be forging process.

I did also, they said no way. Note I did not buy the car locally.
I think because I have described the issue very professionally, including the accurate triggering conditions, my dealer decided to just order the parts for me.

mooooo

Buick Ownership
tourx
Doesn't sound like a structural issue, but could be that the old control arm causes some kind of rubbing.
What is the source about the original part being forged steel while the new part is stamped metal? Looks to me that a part like this should be made by stamping, not to mention stamping itself can be forging process.

I think because I have described the issue very professionally, including the accurate triggering conditions, my dealer decided to just order the parts for me.
Lucky you. I got told "We can't reproduce the noise, but brake noise is normal." After they'd had the car for three days. I said, "you've read the TSB?" <silence> "Why don't you do that, and get back to me." Morons.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
So my car is back at the dealer getting the control arms replaced again. It recently developed a clicking noise in the steering which the dealer says is from the control arms.

The steering noise started after about 1000 miles on the replacement control arms.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Maybe one of the ball joints in one of the new a arms was demaged or strut top plate is binding or outer tie rod ? It be easy to diagnose if you had a knowledgeable mechanic trying to pin point where the noise is coming from while you're cranking the wheel.

Bald Regal

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
This
So my car is back at the dealer getting the control arms replaced again. It recently developed a clicking noise in the steering which the dealer says is from the control arms.

The steering noise started after about 1000 miles on the replacement control arms.

This scares me. My new car has the control arm clunk and I was under the impression there was an updated version. You’ve had yours done and now needs to be done again?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I wouldn't worry too much...there are plenty of others here that had the fix and are good and others that never had it.

PBTourx

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I have a 2018 TourX Essence build date 7/18 which has started making this noise in the morning. I noticed it at around 3,000 miles, now at 3901 miles. While LA doesn't get that cold it does get into the 40s over night and sometimes has condensation on the car. I can't say if the condensation has anything to do with the noise. I do get the noise braking on smooth or uneven pavement when a fair amount of pressure is applied on braking in the morning or at night if the car has been sitting. Not sure if it's one side or both. It seems like it's coming from the front so I think it's both sides but my wife hasn't noticed it when she's been in the car. Though she's usually in the car later in the day when it's not doing it. Once the TourX is driven some or the temps warm up, it goes away. Haven't contacted my local dealer (who doesn't stock 2019 TourX but sold some 2018s) about this yet. I didn't buy the TourX there. I plan on bringing this up at my first oil change. Hopefully things will go smoothly, a couple of Buick owners who use them are happy with their service.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
This

This scares me. My new car has the control arm clunk and I was under the impression there was an updated version. You’ve had yours done and now needs to be done again?
Yes the control arms were done already and fixed the noise that happened when braking. This new noise is a new issue that's heard when steering. Its either some other defect in relation to the control arms or it wasn't put back together correctly.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Yes the control arms were done already and fixed the noise that happened when braking. This new noise is a new issue that's heard when steering. Its either some other defect in relation to the control arms or it wasn't put back together correctly.
I bet, it wasn't put back together correctly.
I have the noise, but I'm scared to have someone touch an otherwise near perfect car.

Skcoop80

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
GM now knows of the sounds, it’s caused by faulty control arms on the 17 lacrosse and 18 regal. There is a GM memo out about it. Mine did it, sounded alonost like abs was activated, or a vibrating grinding knocking type sound when braking. They fixed it and now we are all good.

WeLikeIt

North Carolina
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX, 2003 Century, 1989 Regal
Yah I noticed this noise right at the beginning and it don't bother me. It has not gotten worst nor has the car developed any handling / braking issues. All I can say is my Sportback has extremely competent brakes.

One of the car magazines tested the braking of the Sportback and the GS and Audi A5 and BMW 540. and the Sportback stopped in the shortest distance !
:LOL:

I am not very nice to my cars. Front tires have less than half tread left. I've had the car for 6 months lol.
If I can't abuse it, I don't wanna use it.

The thing I don't get, is why people say they feel safe with me driving LMAO.
One cannot operate a vehicle at its limits, without knowing what happens when those limits are broken.

Pedal Commander