• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Front Suspension Noise - Looking for Similar Experience!

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Why do you ask @liuby33 ? Are you hearing something, too?
As you might have noticed I opened this thread last year. Just was interested in your experience and knowing if the fix was a permanent fix or temporary. I don't have anything yet (which is interesting since I'm in Toronto, probably among the coldest cities here)

xrd7

Austin TX
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
To those who have the noise.

It does NOT happen when going over large bumps.

It only happens when going over very slight ripple bumps, or even no bumps, or even very light braking, and then only when the outside temperature is down around 50F or lower. Sounds like something is loose in the front suspension or brakes. Even when doing it, as the outside temperature warms up, the noise stops.

That is how it was with my car before they changed out the Lower Control Arms. Much less complicated repair than I thought. Brought car in around 8:30 and was finished by noon.

Either way, car is NOT Unsafe. Just live with it until they can get the parts in.
Just noticed this almost ABS-like chatter/rattle noise while braking on my GS last week (we had our first "cold" weather spell in Central Texas since I purchased it in July - we went down into the 30-40s). It's at the dealer now.

I was initially pretty scared that something worse was going on because honestly, it's not too reassuring when you hear it. But then I thought: "what could possibly go this bad on a 4,200 mile car?" and had the good fortune of finding this thread where I could see this was common.

Really glad for the folks who posted the TSB number and details, allowing me to point it to my dealer right off the bat (thanks!).

Last edited:

xrd7

Austin TX
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
UPDATE: Just heard back from the dealer who wasn't able to replicate the issue, because of course now temperatures are back in the mid-70s here. They didn't want to perform the TSB if they can't hear it, so I'm going to be waiting for colder temperatures again to see if I can get them to hear it. I'll try to take one of the techs on a drive when I pick the car up later this afternoon but I'm not confident it'll be making the noise.

Magnusinc

Buick Ownership
2018 tourx
Anti lock brake noise I think. Mine makes noise some times

xrd7

Austin TX
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
UPDATE: Just heard back from the dealer who wasn't able to replicate the issue, because of course now temperatures are back in the mid-70s here. They didn't want to perform the TSB if they can't hear it, so I'm going to be waiting for colder temperatures again to see if I can get them to hear it. I'll try to take one of the techs on a drive when I pick the car up later this afternoon but I'm not confident it'll be making the noise.
UPDATE: I actually got lucky and was able to make the car produce one of the noises by braking hard while going over speed bumps (of which there were tons around the dealership complex) with the shop foreman sitting in the passenger seat and they took the car back in to perform the TSB and replace both front lower control arms. I got it back yesterday, hopefully this fixes my issue for good. :)

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I don't have anything yet (which is interesting since I'm in Toronto, probably among the coldest cities here)
Oddly enough, I think there's a temperature 'sweet spot' for this to happen. I'm in southern Ontario, and now that it's been below 0° in the mornings I hardly hear it. But a few weeks ago when the temp was somewhere in the high single digits, it rattled like crazy. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, so hopefully it makes enough noise for them to fix it.

Last edited:

Gteunuch

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Mine was pretty noisy in the 30-40* range, and the dealership was able to replicate it but ONLY after I referenced the TSB.

GM Strike has made the parts take forever, I am ready to get out of this Enclave :sick:

DSB

SE MI
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I took mine in to get fixed for front suspension chatter. Diagnosis didn't happen for a day, but once they looked at it, parts were in the next day and fixed. Also had them apply an update to the infotainment system and clear out the drain in the fuel filler door. Something to remember as we get into winter are those body panel drains that can get clogged by spiders, insects, or debris.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I am worried that the car will not steer as perfect once the Techs replace the lower control arm and re-aligns. I've had a lot bad experiences with alignment shops and only a few good ones. Also getting the wheel at 3-6 O'Clock seems to beyoud most tech's abilities.
The fix may we worse than the problem.

eccs19

Buick Ownership
Regal
Update on my car. Dealer ordered the new parts on 19-Oct-2019 and parts arrived at dealership 13-Nov-2019. I've now scheduled an appointment to get them installed between Christmas and New Year. I know people were asking about delivery time, so hence the update.

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Going to a dealer today. Will print out TSB. I'm afraid that having no experience with these cars they would screw something up.
Update:
They had car up on the lift, just to make sure nothing else is causing the noise. Drove with service manager, he heard the noise. Parts are getting ordered.

Last edited:

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I'd really like a definitive answer of just what is causing this noise. If it is loading of the control arm bushing from the reaction forces while moderate braking over bumpy surfaces at colder ambient temps, why does it sound like brakes grinding? My poor little engineer's brain just finds this all hard to accept.

Pedal Commander