Front Suspension Noise - Looking for Similar Experience!

MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Could it be the calipers jamming due to ABS, and then releasing?
That’s what I had kind of thought, but what makes me think otherwise is that the sound (at least for me) goes away after I drive the car for a bit and it warms up. I can drive over the same rough patches that caused noise and the noise is gone when it’s warmed up.

Side note: As the temps in MN drop, I notice the sound a lot more during braking when the car is cold.

brand213

Buick Ownership
TourX
That’s what I had kind of thought, but what makes me think otherwise is that the sound (at least for me) goes away after I drive the car for a bit and it warms up. I can drive over the same rough patches that caused noise and the noise is gone when it’s warmed up.

Side note: As the temps in MN drop, I notice the sound a lot more during braking when the car is cold.
Same, I can not replicate the sound once the car warms up.

Thread starter #23
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
A noise doesn't make a car a lemon.
It starts, it drives, it brakes, everytime. I see no problem.
If it was something serious / safety wise, any mechanic would find the problem.
No and No.

A car does so many things on top of starting, driving and braking. That's what paying 40+K is for. If I am looking for a car that does no more than starting, driving and braking, then I would have spent 1000 dollars on it.

A lemon is a new car that is not functioning as it should. A new car designed and advertised to be quiet is not functioning properly if it is making noises and thus, not quiet. I understand you are a rather hardcore Buick fan but a majority of Buick customers buy the car because it is a good car, not because they can bear whatever issues it may develop.

Thread starter #24
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Could it be the calipers jamming due to ABS, and then releasing?
It definitely sound more like a grinding noise from two parts rubbing together, I think ABS noise is different (more of a series of impact noises with noticeable vibration).

In my case it is also temperature related but it first developed during August, which is not exactly cold. Right now it is definitely more noticeable during colder mornings and less so when the car is already driven tens of kilometers on the highway. Sometimes the noise completely vanishes, especially after a >50km trip or when the temperature is in the high 20s.

carbob08

Washington
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
As others have already noted, the cooler weather has now made my car also exhibit this noise under braking. It has happened a few times to me as well. Once I can replicate it consistently I will take it in for a look by the dealer. I have very low expectations from my dealer being able to fix it though.

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
I took my car into the dealer today for a recently developed sound.

The sound can best be described as an intermittent sounding ABS activation without the ABS motor sound. Front suspension

To replicate, drive below 25 MPH and brake inbetween "normal coming to a stop" and "OH NO THE GUY 10 FEET IN FRONT OF ME JUST SLAMMED ON HIS BRAKES"...so about 50% brake pressure. Not standing on it, but getting close.

Pro tip: Replicating this on a slightly bumpy section of road (where too many trucks have stopped at a light so there are some bumps or waves in the pavement) it made the noise "cascade" and continue for a few more seconds.

The noise was pretty easy to replicate by the tech.

I got a call today from the dealer saying the issue looked like a control arm bushing.

Essence with all the fixins', 1200 miles.

I'll report back when the part is replaced if this fixes the issues.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I hope they're right. sometimes the noise reminds me of metal and rubber creaking.

It could be a couple different noises being made by 2 different issues.

Sometimes....

...I feel the brake pads when they're cold. But that could be the cold control arm bushings stretching.

...I feel the steering gear (rack & pinion) making a slight click every 1/4 turn (or so) when accelerating from a corner when the steering wheel is turning back to the straight position.

brand213

Buick Ownership
TourX
Dealer called me today. Both control arms have been replaced and they are claiming the noise has now gone away.
I will be picking it up in the AM and will report back.

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS
Same noise - same solution. There is a TSB out now for the control arms to be replaced. It specifically states "Sounds like an ABS event". My parts were ordered today - sigh.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
The noise in OP's sample video is 100% NOT the same noise as my car.
I can make the OP's noise by coming to a sudden stop. But normally it is just a rubbing-ish sort of sound/rattle... With the colder weather it's definitely becoming more pronounced like others have reported. Now that there's a TSB I hope they'll be able to address it quickly. (Wonder how the parts availability is...)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.