Front Suspension Noise - Looking for Similar Experience!

Thread starter #44
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I can make the OP's noise by coming to a sudden stop. But normally it is just a rubbing-ish sort of sound/rattle... With the colder weather it's definitely becoming more pronounced like others have reported. Now that there's a TSB I hope they'll be able to address it quickly. (Wonder how the parts availability is...)
Mine only makes the noise when under moderately hard braking, with no braking there is no noise that I can notice.
With the car warming up, the required hardness of the braking increases.

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Tour X
My dealer ordered the parts today, the left control arm is a week to two weeks out. 3 days on the right control arm. Anyone know how many hours the repair takes?

Buick Ownership
Buick
Dealer was able to replicate the noise and confirmed it is the lower control arms. Parts are ordered with unknown ETA. They said it could be up to 3 weeks. Just glad to hear there is a fix and kudos to the dealer for ID'ing the source and taking care of it. Repair order references TSB #18-NA-163

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Mine only makes the noise when under moderately hard braking, with no braking there is no noise that I can notice.
With the car warming up, the required hardness of the braking increases.
Your braking issue could be this soon to be recall...

18279: Safety Recall – Rear Brake Piston Degassing Causing Soft Brake Pedal – 2018-2019 Buick Cadillac Chevrolet GMC & Holden

18279: Safety Recall - Rear Brake Piston Degassing Causing Soft Brake Pedal - 2018-2019 Buick Cadillac Chevrolet GMC & Holden

And when they do this recall, they have to know that the 2018+ Regal takes Dot 4 brake fluid, unlike the rest of the cars involved in the recall take dot 3 fluid.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
And when they do this recall, they have to know that the 2018+ Regal takes Dot 4 brake fluid, unlike the rest of the cars involved in the recall take dot 3 fluid.
One would hope that Buick service departments know what type of brake fluid to install? Though mine wasn't even sure what to do for license plate screws when I bought it...

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Tour X
So my service department called to say they couldn't recreate the problem. I asked them if they had parked the car inside, they said yes. I said park it outside and check it again in an hour. We'll see.

Last edited:
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS
So my service department called to say they couldn't recreate the problem. I asked them if they had parked the car inside, they said yes. I said park it outside and check it again in an hour. We'll see.
Control arms fixed my issue. I waited for it - took about 2 hours.

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hi All, I've been experiencing this noise in the front suspension when the car is under braking while going over a bump. (Any bump) This issue persisted about 3000 kms already. There is no noise that I can identify when driving over bumps/potholes while not braking.

sample video here

This is also very temperature-sensitive and will more likely to happen in cold weather. Last time I went to the dealer the car was not in the mood of reproducing the noise and the dealer said that this is a new vehicle and some times the issue is not readily identifiable or solvable, which I'd say is really bullsh*t since the front suspension is basically just a regular McPherson from the Malibu.

I'm planning a re-visit late autumn when the issue is more reproducible. I don't want to leave it long like this if it's a lubrication issue.

Looking for similar experience owners! In this way I can provide the dealer about the additional information so that they know where to look at. Last time they were not able to pinpoint the issue despite hearing the noise themselves. Thanks!
Lower control arm bushings...gm came out with a bulletin...took week for buick to get new bushings....

Buick Ownership
Buick
It definitely sound more like a grinding noise from two parts rubbing together, I think ABS noise is different (more of a series of impact noises with noticeable vibration).

In my case it is also temperature related but it first developed during August, which is not exactly cold. Right now it is definitely more noticeable during colder mornings and less so when the car is already driven tens of kilometers on the highway. Sometimes the noise completely vanishes, especially after a >50km trip or when the temperature is in the high 20s.
Def lower control arm bushings.. mine being repaired with new bushings

2018TourX

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
My 2018 TourX with under 200 miles on it went into the dealers service department this morning for the same front end clunking noise under braking. They just called me to tell me there are "updated control arms being manufactured". No ETA available for the new control arms or replacement in my TourX. I will write another review if or when this problem gets fixed. This was a $40K Buick. Not happy with the dealership sales department or that my new Buick already has problems.

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Tour X
My 2018 TourX with under 200 miles on it went into the dealers service department this morning for the same front end clunking noise under braking. They just called me to tell me there are "updated control arms being manufactured". No ETA available for the new control arms or replacement in my TourX. I will write another review if or when this problem gets fixed. This was a $40K Buick. Not happy with the dealership sales department or that my new Buick already has problems.
Well they're wrong, got mine replaced and sound is gone.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.