Front Suspension Noise - Looking for Similar Experience!

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Parts arrived and vehicle has been in the shop since Thursday morning. Not sure what the hold up is but I also asked them to look into the faint sweet smell upon startup when the car sits for a while. I should have checked the coolant level before dropping it off.

DoUSail2

Buick Ownership
Her 2018 Regal TourX Essence, Frost, Convenience 1&2, S&S
Another note, My dealer got the parts within a couple of days so I don't understand posts with people waiting long times for parts.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Another note, My dealer got the parts within a couple of days so I don't understand posts with people waiting long times for parts.
Parts are on back-order and for regions with low Regal sales the shipping time can be long.
I'm in Toronto, Canada where there is literally no Regal on the streets. My parts order took 5 weeks to arrive.

BrianCoasters

Buick Newbie
Greensboro, NC
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
Took mine in for an oil change today and brought up the noise/TSB. They confirmed it and got the parts on order - estimated to arrive in 10 days. Hopefully that timing holds true :)

4wheelforay

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
I purchased my car mid November (before the huge discounts, just the big ones) my car made noise from day 1. I assumed it was sway bar bushings groaning from sitting for so long.

I came across this thread a month ago, but I didn't go in because parts were on BO.

I will probably go in with the TSB number soon, I just don't want to be without a car. Being in the Detroit area there isn't an opportunity for the car to get warm enough to not make noise and the roads aren't smooth enough to keep the suspension from working overtime.

LoneWanderer

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Replacing the lower control arms identified in the TSB fixed my issue (rattle while braking over bumpy surface). I bought the car in July and have 8000 miles on it. I noticed the rattling after a few thousand miles but took a while before I eventually took it in for service. Not quite sure why they have not simply recalled this since it obviously affects (or will eventually) any cars built with the old part number. The new control arms do have a new part number and is part of the reason for the long lead time on getting the new parts ordered. Took 3 weeks for my parts to come in. Hopefully the fix is permanent and doesn't come back in another 5k miles.

Last edited:

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
1. One of the Service Writers (Dick Head) would not put it on the RO (Repair Order) unless he hears it. Florida mornings have not been too cold and by the time I get to dealer, the undercarrage warms up enough that it is quiet. I did call Buick and have a case number from them.

Strange, it was very loud a couple mornings ago, but this morning (although colder) it was not quite as loud.

As it warms up in Florida, in a few months, I will take car in for oil change. If Dick Head still will not put it on the RO, I'll call Buick back, give them the RO, and let Buick hash it out with dealer.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
1. One of the Service Writers (Dick Head) would not put it on the RO (Repair Order) unless he hears it. Florida mornings have not been too cold and by the time I get to dealer, the undercarrage warms up enough that it is quiet. I did call Buick and have a case number from them.

Strange, it was very loud a couple mornings ago, but this morning (although colder) it was not quite as loud.

As it warms up in Florida, in a few months, I will take car in for oil change. If Dick Head still will not put it on the RO, I'll call Buick back, give them the RO, and let Buick hash it out with dealer.
Don't wait- call Buick customer service now and tell them that they would not document your concern.
I took mine in and of course, it would only barely do it and the guy couldn't pick up on the sound. They said they couldn't find the TSB at all and the only thing they could find was to put copper paste on the brake pads for brake pad clicking. It's not brake pad clicking... but it worries me that they couldn't find a simple TSB. I try to be nice to them because I want my car fixed, but their service department never seems to have their proverbial sh*t together. It's frustrating- more so because I used to be a fixed ops and warranty manager for GM and know how it is supposed to be done.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
It's eliminated in the case of braking on rough pavement, so it's gone in most cases. I have found myself going over large speed bumps too fast and I hear it still.
Whacking a speed bump is going to likely cause a noise that wouldn't happen in otherwise normal use. If you look at the modern suspension designs, they use relatively soft sleeve bushings with a fair amount of deflection. This actually makes them ride better and more quietly, but respond to fast movement poorly which creates the noise. If they went with stiffer bushing design, it would sacrifice ride quality.

Kahuna1963

Buick Ownership
TourX
I've tried to do a little digging into some Vauxhall forums from the UK. One person mentioned a creaking when turning at slow speeds and going over bumps. I have noticed a sound change in the suspension when hitting certain bumps... from a normal low 'thud' to more of a 'creak/rattle' so I believe there is some validity there.

I'd say the sound we are experiencing in this thread is more of a 'grind/crunch' but the more data we can collect the better. I have no faith a dealer is going to be able to solve this issue without just throwing parts at it.
My car just turned 6000 miles and it’s develop these symptoms what do I do

Kahuna1963

Buick Ownership
TourX
I could understand the harsher ride but the noise seems too loud to be ignorable, it's like two pieces of metals under friction, not healthy at all.
I have the same issue

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
What I want to know is what is actually making the noise? Are two parts knocking on each other? Are parts sliding and striking the bumpers at the end of travel? Are the control arm bearings or grommets the wrong size?

Although Buick (and Opal and PSA) seem to think it's not unsafe, I'd still like to know what exactly causes the lower control arm noise, not the fix.

carmudgeon

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tourx
What I want to know is what is actually making the noise? Are two parts knocking on each other? Are parts sliding and striking the bumpers at the end of travel? Are the control arm bearings or grommets the wrong size?

Although Buick (and Opal and PSA) seem to think it's not unsafe, I'd still like to know what exactly causes the lower control arm noise, not the fix.
They way the service bulletin is written it sounds like the bushing was deflecting to the point where metal on metal contact occurred. Just got mine back today after waiting about about two weeks for the parts, noise is gone.

Loodle

Buick Ownership
Tourx
My 2018 Tour X with 800 odd miles does this same thing. Reaching out to the dealer to see if I can get it done at my first oil change.

The Invisible One

Had my lower control arms done yesterday. The new ones are nice and quiet. The front bushing mount is different than the originals on the car. Must have been a design issue with that one version or vendor. One thing to watch for though, my dealer damaged both side skirts on my car with their lift. They didn't use a tall enough standoff pad on the lift so the arms contacted the side skirts on both sides and crushed them. One is punctured nearly all the way through, the other is just scuffed. They are getting new parts and haven't argued the issue at all, so I give them credit for owning up to the problem and making it right.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Could you please post pics of your damage? I have picked up scratches since my control arm repair.

BrianCoasters

Buick Newbie
Greensboro, NC
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
Got mine fixed yesterday, and so far the noise is gone (temperature was in the low 20s on my commute this morning). Very happy with how willing the dealer was to find the TSB and take care of it.

On a side note, they gave me an Enclave loaner while they were working on my car, and while it was a really nice vehicle, that thing is freaking huge LOL. I was very happy to have my TourX back.

sined240

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Mine is in service overnight, they found the parts locally but had to get them delivered and will finish up by noon the next day. Hoping this will take care of it for good...