Fuel Guage Reading 2001 Limited

Outlander 2001

Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2001 LeSabre Limited with a gas gauge that goes haywire when the tank is less than half full. I am guessing the sending unit is going out and was wondering if this can be done by a person with limited skills as a mechanic or do I need to take it in to the shop. What am I looking a cost wise? Thanks for the help.

imidazol97

Top Dog
I have a 2001 LeSabre Limited with a gas gauge that goes haywire when the tank is less than half full. I am guessing the sending unit is going out and was wondering if this can be done by a person with limited skills as a mechanic or do I need to take it in to the shop. What am I looking a cost wise? Thanks for the help.

If your car has lots of miles, it might be cost effective to replace the pump and the sender if you have to pay an independent mechanic. Use a Delphi or AC Delco pump is my opinion. If the car has been run low on gas often, the pumps may be nearer the end of life. You'll have to decide.

If you can do the work yourself and can work around fuel in the trunk--no sparks, use brass drifts to tap loose the lockring for example, have a low fuel in the tank, there are some repairs and videos to help.

A replacement float and electrical contact sender unit are $135 on RockAuto.com. A short cut replaces only the wiper arm where the contact prongs have worn by using a $35 harness piece for the sender for a Tahoe or Aurora repair. They disassembly the piece to get the wiper and tap it into your old gauge. Voila! New contacts. Working gauge--assuming that's is what's wrong with yours.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7cY_IPCVfI[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FST1whbcOk8[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N16YmV9xcw[/ame]

This is a popular guide. The part he's using is the one I have sitting in the post office for me to pick up Monday from RockAuto now to repair my 2003 leSabre at 120K which just started the same bad readings.

Last edited:

Outlander 2001

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks

I think I am going to replace pump and sender unit as stated in your post. Thanks for the help.

imidazol97

Top Dog
Thanks

I think I am going to replace pump and sender unit as stated in your post. Thanks for the help.

Please post back after you do it with your own experiences. I've got mine to do and may wait until son is home from OSU in June...

Merkava_4

5.7L LS1 Member
Clovis, CA
Buick Ownership
2000 Buick LeSabre
The fuel gage in my 2000 LeSabre will always drop a whole 1/4 tank at a time. I'll be driving along
thinking this car is getting excellent fuel mileage and then Bam! The needle will drop a whole 1/4 tank.

dondeere

London,Ontario
Buick Ownership
Buick LeSabre,1997,2000,2003
I had the same problem with my 2001 LeSabre more than a year ago. I removed the sending unit. The plastic float hinge was wore giving intermittent resistance values. I removed the brass pivot pin and soldered the diameter slightly to fit the wear of the plastic hinge. Had about 1.5 hours to do this and about a nickels worth of lead/tin solder. Could most likely do it in 1/2 hour next time. Saved a lot of money. lol

Outlander 2001

Buick Ownership
Buick
Just installed the fuel pump. Pretty easy for a non mechanical guy. Did not wack the engagement ring hard enough to break corrosion so my friend dragged me out of the trunk and told me I was limp wristing it. Four manly wacks later, installed new o ring gasket, plug in wires and reattach fuel lines, wack ring the opposite direction and I was on my way. Took about thirty minutes. You Tube video helped allot as well for removal. Thanks for all the help.

Outlander 2001

Buick Ownership
Buick
I forgot to add that I got a Delphi Fuel pump on EBAY for $150.00. Can't beat that with a stick. Most were around $300.00.

DonP

VA
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick LaCrosse.
I replaced the fuel tank sending unit on my 2004. Not difficult just awkward to reach, I worked thrugh the access port in the trunk. The retaining ring in the tank was the hardest part because I did not have the special tool used to open it. But be prepared for some fuel spill when you remove the pump unit.

(However, the 2001 may be different.)

yaya

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
What is the $35 part# for the contacts

Get your turbo buick badge right here!