Fuel pouring from throttle body into air filter

jdg1108

Buick Ownership
2000 Buick lesabre
My car cranked on morning and went dead. Wouldn't crank again. My husband saw fuel leaking from fuel line under hood. He replaced the egr hose. Today when trying to crank it fuel started pouring from throttle body into air intake soaking air filter....what did he do wrong? Lol. And how to fix it....HELP please???

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Not sure what he did as the EGR has nothing to do with the fuel. So how it got from the injectors through the plenum into the TB and then flood the air filter is something that wouldn't be possible, not saying impossible, but it would be something really on purpose.

My suggestion is get it to a good shop or get a person who knows what they are doing to take a look at it.

jdg1108

Buick Ownership
2000 Buick lesabre
Not sure what he did as the EGR has nothing to do with the fuel. So how it got from the injectors through the plenum into the TB and then flood the air filter is something that wouldn't be possible, not saying impossible, but it would be something really on purpose.

My suggestion is get it to a good shop or get a person who knows what they are doing to take a look at it.
And he may not have done it. Lol. But before he replaced the lines under the hood there was a small fuel leak from a line under the hood. after he replaced whatever he replaced the fuel poured out and soaked the air filter.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Not sure on how to even do it intentionally but here's a diagram on fuel #1, fuel return #2 and EVAP #3 lines which might help to take a look at.
001215GM03-053.png

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
PCV has nothing to do with fuel. There is no PCV hose on a Lesabre. The valve is inside the Upper Intake Manifold and vents the gases from the crankcase into the intake.
The connections 1 and 2 at the engine are where fuel could leak. Either your husband is doing something wrong or he's giving you misinformation (or both). Get a knowledgeable mechanic to look at it.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Can't offer much help as it seems there is some confusion on what was actually done, first it was the EGR and now it's PCV, so getting it to a qualified shop will be the best route.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
If your husband is a prideful person, just from now on always assume it needs another opinion from someone first before acting or going down a rabbit hole. if you can, you can take pictures of your engine bay from a "few encompassing shots of the engine, and post them, and we can possibly tell whats north vs south and factory vs rigged but no guarantees either atm.Something tells me fuel pressure regulator had some issues and then vacuum harness, which is connected to the TB, is involved + either a backfire or gravity and the right slope of your car.

Fuel pressure regs this old are due for change
a car that stalled from sucking gas through the regulator would probs spit liquid gas back as it sputtered, which means if on your filter your MAF needs cleaning and your filter replacing and make sure rubber parts in intake are OK. if that sounds too much, it means youll need someeones involvement probably. but pictrues of your engine bay and situation could at least find any scary or simple solutions. We that is, we can help possibly and knowledge is power

HotZ28

Full Member Since 2005
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
There was a factory recall issued, concerning the fuel pressure regulator on that engine installed between '97 & 2000. It was a big problem and caused upper intakes to explode & catch on fire. I hope that is not the problem, but if it is, be careful and keep a fire extinguisher in the car. Good luck!

Last edited:
Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners