FWD or AWD

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
We haven't had a lot of snow yet. But we've had very slippery conditions and so far it's been no different than any other FWD vehicle I've owned.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
I'm the odd man out. I miss driving RWD in the snow. I always found it better in heavy snow than FWD. Maybe because I'm old enough to have learned how to drive in RWD cars. Except in a PU. If my truck didn't have Auto 4WD I would not be able to drive it in the snow.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
I'm the odd man out. I miss driving RWD in the snow. I always found it better in heavy snow than FWD. Maybe because I'm old enough to have learned how to drive in RWD cars. Except in a PU. If my truck didn't have Auto 4WD I would not be able to drive it in the snow.
LOL... I have an '03 Toyota Tacoma 4X4. Love my truck, but even a dusting of snow can make it a handful in 2WD.
In 4WD, I swear that truck can go anywhere, it amazes me all the time. Note: The tires are fairly aggressive tread all terrains.

With that being said... I also learned on and grew up driving RWD drive vehicles in all kinds of weather and snow. If you don't get stupid and understand some of it's limitation RWD is fine. People got along just fine for decades in RWD cars before FWD started taking over. Now I just laugh when people tell me they "need" AWD SUV's for winter driving. If the roads are so bad that you actually need AWD or 4WD, then you should probably re-think whether you really "need" to go out.

Exception to my above opinion. If you live in or have to commute in remote or mountainous areas that get a lot of snow. Then you most definitely can justify owning an AWD or 4WD vehicle.

Last edited:

OldWhiteChevy

So much depends on the tires. I had an '87 Thunderbird with Firestone Supreme radials that wasn't too bad despite having RWD, but my '95 T-Bird (Firestone FR480s) was immobilized by the tiniest amount of the white stuff. Meanwhile, my present car, a 2012 Cruze, was absolutely squirrely in the snow...until I replaced the OEM Firestone FR710 tires with a set of Continental TrueContacts. It's like a completely different car now. The FWD Buicks of my past, a 1980 Skylark and 1982 Century weren't bad in snow even with their OEM tires.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.