g

Froman1977

Buick Ownership
1983 Buick Riviera
I bought an 83 Buick Riviera I was told the headlights flickered upon the 1st night driving at home the headlights went completely off I went to rock auto bought a brand new switch I was told that was most likely the problem when I went to replace this which I found this please give me advice where I go from here 20210227_164150.jpg

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
"I was told" isn't really much information other than the original owner was getting rid of a problem. Plastic doesn't melt unless there is a short so it may require a inspection of the wiring harnesses and connection.

Froman1977

Buick Ownership
1983 Buick Riviera
Can you plug in the switch to test it?
I have know idea how to test the switch would it be quicker to replace wires form headlights back to the switch the marker lights stayed on head lights would come and go

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
I have know idea how to test the switch would it be quicker to replace wires form headlights back to the switch the marker lights stayed on head lights would come and go
You plug it in and turn it on. If it starts to heat up turn it off. The old switch may have had an internal short.

Froman1977

Buick Ownership
1983 Buick Riviera
You plug it in and turn it on. If it starts to heat up turn it off. The old switch may have had an internal short.
So plugging in will not instantly destroy the in new switch will try tomorrow I keep the battery disconnected because there is a Parasitic drain on the battery I assume that could be a very good culprit the way that switch connector is. Another problem I have is the front Springs are extremely tired I cannot find front Springs anywhere for it upon my maiden voyage the car bottomed out I didn't realize at the time they created a transmission leak I cannot find a new pan anywhere to To replace it if that is the issue I think the bolts are leaking were it got Jarred and dipstick broke when I took it in-and-out checking the fluid I can't find that anywhere either. Being a Riviera its Front wheel drive.

Froman1977

Buick Ownership
1983 Buick Riviera
If the front ride height is correct you need shocks not springs.
The front left is 6" lower than the right and the whole car is 8" lower in the front than it is in the back you still think it's shocks

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
The front left is 6" lower than the right and the whole car is 8" lower in the front than it is in the back you still think it's shocks
Your other option is find a spring shop that will either custom make you new ones or recondition the old ones.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
It's a torsion bar front suspension, you will need to check if the components that are connected to the torsion bars are still in working condition and check the bars themselves. Confirm if the shocks are actually correct size and support mountings are good.

Had the Eldorado, Toronado being the other, which have some unique features and parts to these models only.

If you plan on keeping it getting a good shop service manual should be on the list.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Well that's interesting, torsion bars.
Here are some used ones.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Toss in Oldsmobile engines, some of the earliest fuel injection and a few other goodies makes having a good service manual almost mandatory or a full fridge of beer, luckily I had Mopars before so torsion bars weren't a foreign item.

Froman1977

Buick Ownership
1983 Buick Riviera
It's a torsion bar front suspension, you will need to check if the components that are connected to the torsion bars are still in working condition and check the bars themselves. Confirm if the shocks are actually correct size and support mountings are good.

Had the Eldorado, Toronado being the other, which have some unique features and parts to these models only.

If you plan on keeping it getting a good shop service manual should be on the list.
Thanks
Well that's interesting, torsion bars.
Here are some used ones.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!