Gas gauge all wonky

Thread starter #1

TerryP

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
This past weekend we went camping and loaded the 2004 LeSabre pretty heavy the previous week. It was squatting pretty good and after driving it all week, I noticed that it was still on 1/2 tank when I filled it up (which took 10+ gallons) and the needle took it's own trip into another dimension and ended up pointing straight down. It does move when I turn on the key but still ended up pointing South.
After running about 200 miles or so the needle started moving the temp gauge , they kept jockeying for position on the trip back home and the gas gauge now ends up pointing closer to the E but under it (not where it's supposed to be when it's Full.)
Now the temp gauge looks to be pointing in the correct direction but not the gas gauge.
Can I pull the face off of the bezel cover off of the gauge and move the needle when it's Full? or will I not be able to touch the needle? Any ideas on how to fix this?
*** This is the pic I took the morning after I had just filled it up ***
gas_gauge_sm.jpg

Thread starter #3

TerryP

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Here's a few ideas, can't say if they may work for yours or not.
OMG, that second video sounds like a guy but MUST be a woman, I've never heard a man talk THAT much! Video is twice as long as necessary. His stand-up routine is terrible!

Last edited:
Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
LOL, yep there's some real interesting ones I've seen, thank god for mute and fast forward. I don't do them as my mom said I have a face for radio:cool:

Thread starter #6

TerryP

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
OK, so I was finally able to get some magnets but they didn't have ANY effect on the gauge, the needle didn't even quiver! Do I need rare earth magnets to do this? Anyone else done this?

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
I just found the links and haven't had the need, greatfully, but it may need more pull then a refrigerator magnet. If you get a clear plastic cup and a sowing needle estimate the distance of the dash plastic to the gauge it may tell you if it's strong enough to explore. I've had rare earth ones where if you put them flush on a piece of metal you needed a vise grip to pull it off LOL, so I'm a little cautious with those around electronics.

Thread starter #9

TerryP

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I just found the links *snip*
I've had rare earth ones where if you put them flush on a piece of metal you needed a vise grip to pull it off LOL, so I'm a little cautious with those around electronics.
Was there supposed to be a link there?

I would think that these are strong enough but like I said didn't even make the gas needle quiver!
IMG_20181002_204523.jpg
And this is about how far I have to be to get it to move that paper clip, maybe that's not close enough!!
IMG_20181002_204731.jpg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.