• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Gas tank filler pipe replacement 2001 LeSabre

G-527465

Is it possible to replace gas tank filler pipe on a 2001 LeSabre without dropping fuel tank?

97PA

Buick Ownership
1997 Park Avenue
I did it on my 2001 LeSabre without any problems. You need to take out the screws holding the filler neck, disconnect the ground strap (good luck not stripping or breaking the bolt) and loosen the filler pipe hose clamp to the fuel tank.

Carleton

Buick Ownership
LeSabre
Congrats on replacing the gas tank filler neck on your 2001 LeSabre without having to drop the fuel tank. I have the same year and model but have been told by two Buick dealers that dropping the tank was the only way to replace the filler pipe.
So, for starters you said that you need to take out the screws holding the filler neck. Other than the two screws which seem to be part of the door hinge mechanism on the gas cap compartment itself, I can't locate screws securing the filler neck unless they're located under the gasket around the neck itself.
Once the screws had been removed, did you then disconnect the filler pipe (plastic piece on my LeSabre) from the adjoining rubber piece leading to the fuel tank? With the driver's side rear tire removed, I found an access door in the wheel well with an easily removed cover that revealed the clamp securing the connection of the two pieces (plastic and rubber).
Once the clamp was off (assuming my assumptions are correct and you had enough room to work with the clamp through the access door), could you then pull out the filler pipe through the opening at the gas cap housing? But this whole procedure depends on first removing the screws securing the neck, which I have not been able to see.

97PA

Buick Ownership
1997 Park Avenue
It's been a few years (2011) since I did this and I sold the car back in 2017 but I know I had to get the filler out from the inside of the fender. I looked at a picture a replacement filler neck on RockAuto and it has a larger round plastic flange (no tapped metal flange) on the filler to seat against the metal housing inside the filler door. I would disregard my previous post about the screws inside the filler door area. I did remove the left driver's side tire and loosened the clamp to the filler pipe where it attaches to the gas tank, as this is the only way to get the wiggle room needed. I pulled the filler after removing the gas cap from the inside of the fender by bending it downwards. There's just enough clearance to get the filler to clear the inner flange and remove it. I wish I had to car to clearly remember the procedure but I know I was able to do it without removing the gas tank, which my local GM dealer was surprised when I told them.

Carleton

Buick Ownership
LeSabre
Do you remember how you installed the new filler pipe? Was it through the opening in the gas cap compartment or did you have to do it from inside the fender (were you able to get to the connection of the filler pipe and the pipe leading to the gas tank from inside the fender to reconnect them)?

97PA

Buick Ownership
1997 Park Avenue
I had to install it through the inside of the fender and it took a little wiggling to get the smaller tube at the end of the filler pipe to get into the fuel tank. I ended up repairing my filler pipe, as I didn't want to pay the over $400 dealer price for a new one and no aftermarket pipes were available back in 2011. I used JB Weld to secure the outer steel flange which had come loose and was causing a P0440 code (large leak). I posted my repair on another Buick forum site and several others were able to fix their filler pipes without having to go to the dealer.

Waiex191

Poplar Grove, IL
Buick Ownership
2000 Century
I have this repair coming up on my 2000 Century. I figured I'd harvest one from the junkyard, clean and fiberglass it up, then replace it. This would both let me practice the job and be able to make the part ready ahead of time.

Pedal Commander