• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Getting ready to buy a TourX next week

KingDapostrophe

Iowa
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Hey guys, new member here. I made this account because I'm fairly certain I'm buying a TourX next week, and I was hoping I could lean on your expertise.

I'm a current Volvo S80 V8 (07, 145k miles) owner, and absolutely love the power and comfort the Volvo has. The only issues I have with it are reliability and maintenance costs, which are not great. Gas mileage is also dismal, I'm averaging 14mpg at the moment, although this summer I hit my record of 20.8mpg average. It's time I switch to something more practical and reliable.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a local TourX, but I recently found out it was a lemon law repurchase, and the dealership was working on fixing a roof leak and was waiting on a new panoramic sunroof shade to come in, which is apparently on backorder. The car has a branded title now, so I'm probably staying away. Not to mention there's no telling when they'll get the part.

1. Have y'all heard of this issue? I haven't seen much about it. Not sure if it's documented as fairly common or not, but scrolling through these forums it seems like there's sometimes a leak near spare tire storage. Is that true?

I'm planning on traveling to a nearby metro area next week to take a look at 3 different TourXs. All 2018 Essences, all black with black interior, with the panoramic sunroof.

a. 46k miles with DC1, DC2, SS, white needle, $24k
b. 44k miles with DC2, SS, red needle, $24k, aftermarket(?) tow kit
c. 9k miles (!) with DC1, SS red needle, $26k

2. Out of those listed models, do y'all have any opinions on which one would be a better deal? All the prices seem a bit high to me, so I'm planning on some healthy negotiations no matter what. I've hit up a lot of threads here and I still can't tell whether y'all tend to prefer the red or white needles on an objective level.
3. Coming from the Volvo with the Haldex AWD system, I'm used to going through snow like a hot knife through butter. I've driven through 10 inches of powder no problem in that thing. How does the TourX do in the snow? We deal with it here like 6 months out of the year, and sometimes I work with our municipal government snow clearning operations.
4. Is the AWD pretty reliable? Haldex units are known for not being that reliable. A lot of them just stop working without throwing a code. I have no experience with any other AWD system.
5. I like to work on all my vehicles myself, so I was hoping at the very least to be able to do oil changes, brakes, and minor suspension work in my garage. How's the TourX with DIYs mechanics? It's a GM product so I assume it's decently easy, although the fact that it's made in Germany makes me question it.
6. It seems like the parts for the TourX are readily available through most GM parts suppliers. Has anyone had any issues getting any parts they need?
7. Is there anything specific I should be looking for in my test drives?

I started my car search Audis, then moved on to Volvo Wagons, then I read up on the TourX, then I moved onto Tacomas, Ridgelines, Rams, Rangers, various Mazda's, and now I'm back at the TourX because the value seems off the charts. I appreciate y'alls help and any insight you could provide. Thanks!

Last edited:

ascii42

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Most people haven't had both a red and white needle, so can't really personally compare.
However, I did previously have a 2016 ATS, which had a similar infotainment system to the red needle's, and overall I think I prefer the one in my white needle.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Aftermarket tow package? I'd definitely want to have that one inspected by a trusted independent mechanic.

Does that mean it has a transmission cooler installed? Just a hitch and wiring? Dafuq? My old Highlander with factory tow package had a transmission cooler, external engine oil cooler, bigger brakes, and higher output alternator. I doubt the TourX has that.

FishOhio

Central Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal Tourx Essence White Frost Tricoat
2018.5 White Needle here.
- no issues with water in the spare tire area
- no issues with the sunroof shade
- I did have the lower control arm 'thunk' fixed under warranty (there is a TSB)
- I've had the infotainment software updated twice and the latest version 22.10 seems more stable. Note, the system still takes a good 45-60 seconds to boot up. If you put the car in Reverse before the system is fully booted up, gremlins will appear.
- re the above bullet, I wait to plug in my phone until the factory navigation finishes loading which makes Apple Carplay more reliable.
- for now GM is continuing to issue updates for the White Needle infotainment system. I don't know about the Red Needle system.

- AWD is fantastic
- comfort on highway trips is very good
- headlights are very good. (overall the Tourx looks great lit up after dark)
- turbo power when you need it is good
- stock tires are just 'ok'. if the car has the foam filled tires some people have had issues as the foam comes loose inside the tire
- MPG is quite good
- Consumer Reports lists the 2018 Regal reliability as "much better than average"
- My only trips to the dealer have been for regular oil changes and tire rotation (and lower control arm TSB and software update)

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
My vote is for C.

Red needle infotainment is mostly baked and reliable. Ive had nothing but a good experience with mine, which is a DC1, SS and Pano car.

weeblackskelf

Buick Ownership
None yet
I'm hoping someone will answer on wrenching yourself/parts and which deal looks best.

I'm probably a month away from finally getting one myself!

KingDapostrophe

Iowa
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Thanks for the replies guys! The feedback is helpful.

@PrincipalDan, I guess I shouldn’t assume it’s aftermarket and I shouldn’t have called it a package. It has what looks like either a class 1 or class 2 receiver on it. The aesthetic doesn’t look factory, but I’m also not even sure if it’s a dealer option or what. It threw me off and I plan on asking about it.

The infotainment being buggy kind of bothers me, so if the red needles have more reliable software that’s definitely a plus. I’ll just have to weigh that with DC2 I guess, but adaptive cruise real nice.

@FishOhio, any specific examples of what happens if you don’t wait for the UI to load before driving?

FishOhio

Central Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal Tourx Essence White Frost Tricoat
@KingDapostrophe on the White needle cars if you don't wait for the system to boot up the backup camera lines disappear and the camera has a fish eye look like it is zoomed, Carplay / Android Auto may not connect, and the factory navigation will not load.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Thanks for the replies guys! The feedback is helpful.

@PrincipalDan, I guess I shouldn’t assume it’s aftermarket and I shouldn’t have called it a package. It has what looks like either a class 1 or class 2 receiver on it. The aesthetic doesn’t look factory, but I’m also not even sure if it’s a dealer option or what. It threw me off and I plan on asking about it.

The infotainment being buggy kind of bothers me, so if the red needles have more reliable software that’s definitely a plus. I’ll just have to weigh that with DC2 I guess, but adaptive cruise real nice.

@FishOhio, any specific examples of what happens if you don’t wait for the UI to load before driving?
Sorry "hot button" for me King. The GMC Terrain which has the same basic 2.0T engine (but different trans and different AWD system) has a factory tow package that includes trans cooling and electrical system upgrades. I would have liked that option on the TourX, not because I want to tow but because I liked having the pieces of a tow package that enhance overall longevity of the vehicle.

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hey guys, new member here. I made this account because I'm fairly certain I'm buying a TourX next week, and I was hoping I could lean on your expertise.

I'm a current Volvo S80 V8 (07, 145k miles) owner, and absolutely love the power and comfort the Volvo has. The only issues I have with it are reliability and maintenance costs, which are not great. Gas mileage is also dismal, I'm averaging 14mpg at the moment, although this summer I hit my record of 20.8mpg average. It's time I switch to something more practical and reliable.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a local TourX, but I recently found out it was a lemon law repurchase, and the dealership was working on fixing a roof leak and was waiting on a new panoramic sunroof shade to come in, which is apparently on backorder. The car has a branded title now, so I'm probably staying away. Not to mention there's no telling when they'll get the part.

1. Have y'all heard of this issue? I haven't seen much about it. Not sure if it's documented as fairly common or not, but scrolling through these forums it seems like there's sometimes a leak near spare tire storage. Is that true?

I'm planning on traveling to a nearby metro area next week to take a look at 3 different TourXs. All 2018 Essences, all black with black interior, with the panoramic sunroof.

a. 46k miles with DC1, DC2, SS, white needle, $24k
b. 44k miles with DC1, SS, red needle, $24k, aftermarket(?) tow package
c. 9k miles (!) with DC1, SS red needle, $26k

2. Out of those listed models, do y'all have any opinions on which one would be a better deal? All the prices seem a bit high to me, so I'm planning on some healthy negotiations no matter what. I've hit up a lot of threads here and I still can't tell whether y'all tend to prefer the red or white needles on an objective level.
3. Coming from the Volvo with the Haldex AWD system, I'm used to going through snow like a hot knife through butter. I've driven through 10 inches of powder no problem in that thing. How does the TourX do in the snow? We deal with it here like 6 months out of the year, and sometimes I work with our municipal government snow clearning operations.
4. Is the AWD pretty reliable? Haldex units are known for not being that reliable. A lot of them just stop working without throwing a code. I have no experience with any other AWD system.
5. I like to work on all my vehicles myself, so I was hoping at the very least to be able to do oil changes, brakes, and minor suspension work in my garage. How's the TourX with DIYs mechanics? It's a GM product so I assume it's decently easy, although the fact that it's made in Germany makes me question it.
6. It seems like the parts for the TourX are readily available through most GM parts suppliers. Has anyone had any issues getting any parts they need?
7. Is there anything specific I should be looking for in my test drives?

I started my car search Audis, then moved on to Volvo Wagons, then I read up on the TourX, then I moved onto Tacomas, Ridgelines, Rams, Rangers, various Mazda's, and now I'm back at the TourX because the value seems off the charts. I appreciate y'alls help and any insight you could provide. Thanks!
I have 2 old Buicks now and had a GM Lumina daughter destroyed a year ago. My advice is for you to go buy a Honda Mazda or especially a Toyota. Honda is more fun to drive than Toyota but Toyota is more reliable. I say this from hearing people and especially mechanics. YouTube video after video. Toyota Toyota Toyota. GM? GM has decided to spend $27 Billion to push the electric vehicle Democrat party global warming save the planet agenda! I like to buy made in the USA but GM is actually more of a Chinese company. Your choice just my advice.

KingDapostrophe

Iowa
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
and had a GM Lumina daughter destroyed a year ago. My advice is for you to go buy a Honda Mazda or especially a Toyota. Honda is more fun to drive than Toyota but Toyota is more reliable. I say this from hearing people and especially mechanics. YouTube video after video. Toyota Toyota Toyota. GM? GM has decided to spend $27 Billion to push the electric

Although I appreciate the made in USA sentiment, your comment isn't useful whatsoever, not to mention just plain wrong. Toyota does have a penchant for reliability, but also their seats on lower trims aren't great, and I'm not a fan of their design language. The Tacoma or the Prius (!) are the only two Toyotas that pique my interest. But I'm sure you know Toyota is pushing manufacturing to Mexico this year, so for a guy that likes made in USA, pushing Toyota is a weird hill to die on.

That being said, I've had two GMs in my garage and driven many more for work, and they were remarkably easy to work on. I currently have a K1500 with 245k miles on it that runs like it's brand new with a little elbow grease, and is more invincible than Tom Brady in the fourth quarter. I've had Suburbans and Equinoxes that I've beat the crap out of and towed boats all over the state with (10,000 miles in a summer), and they've needed just regular maintenance to get by. The market is global, whether you like it or not, and everything you buy in some way sends money overseas. So I'll let GMs engineers do their thing, and I'll let the people on this forum speak to the quality of their product, specifically the TourX, before I make any decisions based on your personal politics - which by the way, are probably better kept out of this forum.

If you're not happy with China, I hope it warms your heart to know that the TourX is made in Germany.

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Although I appreciate the made in USA sentiment, your comment isn't useful whatsoever, not to mention just plain wrong. Toyota does have a penchant for reliability, but also their seats on lower trims aren't great, and I'm not a fan of their design language. The Tacoma or the Prius (!) are the only two Toyotas that pique my interest. But I'm sure you know Toyota is pushing manufacturing to Mexico this year, so for a guy that likes made in USA, pushing Toyota is a weird hill to die on.

That being said, I've had two GMs in my garage and driven many more for work, and they were remarkably easy to work on. I currently have a K1500 with 245k miles on it that runs like it's brand new with a little elbow grease, and is more invincible than Tom Brady in the fourth quarter. I've had Suburbans and Equinoxes that I've beat the crap out of and towed boats all over the state with (10,000 miles in a summer), and they've needed just regular maintenance to get by. The market is global, whether you like it or not, and everything you buy in some way sends money overseas. So I'll let GMs engineers do their thing, and I'll let the people on this forum speak to the quality of their product, specifically the TourX, before I make any decisions based on your personal politics - which by the way, are probably better kept out of this forum.

If you're not happy with China, I hope it warms your heart to know that the TourX is made in Germany.
You can buy and fix whatever you want. What you might want to do is research YouTube videos and other Google searches on car reliability and one thing stands out is that few mechanics are suggesting buying GM Ford or Chrysler products. Sure the Ford 150 is an exception. America? You have choices so if one wants a Buick made in Hammatrack or Germany go for it! The Camry is assembled in Kentucky. It is what it is and MOST mechanics Consumer Reports and people will say go Toyota Honda for reliability. There are exceptions for sure. Cheers!

fng

Delaware Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
Regarding DIY maintenance/repair:

GM still hasn't made the service manual for my '18 Regal available yet. To me, that's completely unacceptable.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
There is still a lingering issue with the red needle that may not be a deal breaker.
The speed limit sign will not stay on the instrument panel after each ignition cycle.
Not to pour cold water on that, but need to state some facts.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
That is true...mine does do that but it always turns back on if I select it even if the car just got turned on. But with that said I would rather have this issue than random instability or a back up camera that doesn't work when I am backing out of a space.

bollox74

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I have the reverse camera issue and it's no big deal.

Put it in reverse and it switches to the good camera with lines - great.
Put it in reverse and it switches to the good camera THEN it switches to the ok camera, less great but fine - it's still a fully functioning reverse camera. It's just with out some fidelity and no added reverse graphic lines. You can still see behind the car clearly.

I've always suspected that it's not the infotainment but rather something in the shift lever position sensors.
Behavior: I switch from P to N it shows the reverse camera with lines while in N, it's when it's shifted into R that the camera (sometimes) switches to what I believe would be the N position camera (no lines less fidelity)

Otherwise with a 18.5 Essence + D1 D2 with no navigation I have no other Infotainment issues. Bluetooth, apple, android, having an AT&T 4G wireless connecton to the car from my phone account, thumb drive in the console usb, usb to usb C adapters, have all been flawless for over 2 years & 16K miles.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
There is still a lingering issue with the red needle that may not be a deal breaker.
The speed limit sign will not stay on the instrument panel after each ignition cycle.
This is for cars with DC2, right?

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
This is for cars with DC2, right?
DC1 as well. I did see a documented case of someone getting their cluster replaced to fix that issue, though. So if it bugs you, you can twist the dealer's arm to get that solved. I never use it.

Also LOL @ the irony of BuickGuy telling everyone to buy Toyotas yet saying buy what you want. Danged enviro-snowflakes pushing their climate loving EVs. How dare they!! How dare I be told what to buy as well!! :rolleyes:

When I can buy an EV SUV with 3rd row that doesn't cost as much as a small country I will be the first on board. Seeya ancient rod/piston engines.

KingDapostrophe

Iowa
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Could you please go into detail about this? I'm not completely familiar with this yet, so I'm not sure what that means. Is the speed limit displayed while using Nav? And when you turn the car off it goes away?

Thanks again for all y'alls replies!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!