• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

GKN Twinster

IanMitch

Buick Ownership
1979 LeSabre, 2010 Enclave, 2018 TourX
I'm curious and don't really care to experiment or experience first hand. If you go aggressively into a corner but not under acceleration, does the GKN system put power to the appropriate back wheel to help you through? If not - are you better off accelerating through so the outside rear wheel is powered? Just curious. I've watched a couple of videos but I'm not clear on whether the car will accelerate for you.

JoeBlog

Buick Newbie
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
You’ve got me thinking. The other day, I entered a downhill grade off ramp a little hot. I’d say I was going 55 thru the turn while coasting. It got ahead of me just for a second, and I got on the brakes. I noticed a light coming on in the DIC just left of the gear indicator and right of the odometer. It was an icon of a gear. I can’t find any reference to it in the owners manual, nor does it illuminate when in accessory mode. I’m wondering if the GKN system was telling me something.

IanMitch

Buick Ownership
1979 LeSabre, 2010 Enclave, 2018 TourX
You’ve got me thinking. The other day, I entered a downhill grade off ramp a little hot. I’d say I was going 55 thru the turn while coasting. It got ahead of me just for a second, and I got on the brakes. I noticed a light coming on in the DIC just left of the gear indicator and right of the odometer. It was an icon of a gear. I can’t find any reference to it in the owners manual, nor does it illuminate when in accessory mode. I’m wondering if the GKN system was telling me something.
You understand exactly what I'm asking. If you coast quickly or too quickly into an off ramp, what will the car do if the driver doesn't do anything. Apparently it will engine brake a little by holding in gear. But is the GKN otherwise inactive - and is the driver better off powering through and getting the benefit of the AWD to kick in.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
You understand exactly what I'm asking. If you coast quickly or too quickly into an off ramp, what will the car do if the driver doesn't do anything. Apparently it will engine brake a little by holding in gear. But is the GKN otherwise inactive - and is the driver better off powering through and getting the benefit of the AWD to kick in.
I've slid around on some muddy dirt roads and last two days driven (& played) in snow and ice storms. So much for April!
I have not overcooked a curve on dry pavement, (yet). When in doubt, I say just give it a bit of throttle.
GKN system is weird, I haven't really figured out just how it behaves. I'm still learning communication between man and machine.
My Subaru's stability control is straightforward, the Buick's is more complicated.

justiz00

Buick Ownership
Tourx
The gear comes on when off the throttle going almost too fast around a curve. I experience this when taking winding turnpike off ramps here in OK.

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX 2019
I'm curious and don't really care to experiment or experience first hand. If you go aggressively into a corner but not under acceleration, does the GKN system put power to the appropriate back wheel to help you through? If not - are you better off accelerating through so the outside rear wheel is powered? Just curious. I've watched a couple of videos but I'm not clear on whether the car will accelerate for you.
Great question, is the answer to stay on the throttle? I like that one.

Last week , had my first emergency maneuver in the TourX on a windy Adirondacks road - so glad I didn't hit those animals. I know shouldn't have tried to avoid, but the car handles better than I expected - I think no throttle or brake applied, not sure if GKN did anything

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
No, the system will not accelerate the outside rear wheel on its own. All it can do is engage the clutch on that wheel. Its still up to you to input throttle to benefit.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
No, the system will not accelerate the outside rear wheel on its own. All it can do is engage the clutch on that wheel. Its still up to you to input throttle to benefit.
Need to experiment in empty parking lot, see how the AWD behaves in rain.
Remind me to put on my to do list...will put right after, start my to do list.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence