• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Glass Replacement - Tic Toc

IanMitch

Buick Ownership
1979 LeSabre, 2010 Enclave, 2018 TourX
We suspect that parts for our cars might be a little hard to find. Well the clock started this afternoon on finding a replacement windshield and rear window for my 2018 which I bought 2 weeks ago. My dealer in Illinois agreed to replace both since they scratched them both very heavily when detailing the car before delivery. The dealer is treating me well, and this is not a complaint about the dealer or the car in any manner. But what is everyone's guess in terms of how long it takes to source a rear window? GO!

Love the car - 900 miles, so on and so on.

Gracie615

My guess, just a few days. We ordered splash guards for our GS, and had them 2nd day. Turns out they did not fit and we had to send them back. I know we are talking windshield and rear window here, but you would think GM would of stocked some of those at their parts warehouses in this country.
BTW, Just curious. How did they manage to scratch your glass just doing detailing?

bespinct

Buick Ownership
TourX
I took delivery of my TourX on Wednesday. During the delivery we discovered scratches that require the windshield being replaced. The service manager expects the windshield to arrive during the middle of next week, or roughly 5 business days after ordering.

IanMitch

Buick Ownership
I took delivery of my TourX on Wednesday. During the delivery we discovered scratches that require the windshield being replaced. The service manager expects the windshield to arrive during the middle of next week, or roughly 5 business days after ordering.
I think my back window will be the interesting one.

IanMitch

Buick Ownership
My guess, just a few days. We ordered splash guards for our GS, and had them 2nd day. Turns out they did not fit and we had to send them back. I know we are talking windshield and rear window here, but you would think GM would of stocked some of those at their parts warehouses in this country.
BTW, Just curious. How did they manage to scratch your glass just doing detailing?
When I test drove the car before buying they had used some form of chalk paint to paint messages on the rear and one side window. I think that rather than rinse it off, someone scrubbed it off with a dry cloth. I am not sure why they hit the windshield so hard, but they did. It isn't noticeable until in direct sun light. I picked the car up during a rain shower, so I didn't notice a thing.14350

G-439099

When I test drove the car before buying they had used some form of chalk paint to paint messages on the rear and one side window. I think that rather than rinse it off, someone scrubbed it off with a dry cloth. I am not sure why they hit the windshield so hard, but they did. It isn't noticeable until in direct sun light. I picked the car up during a rain shower, so I didn't notice a thing.View attachment 14350
Wow, they used a little too much elbow grease huh? I now know to be careful when cleaning mine. Thanks!

IanMitch

Buick Ownership
Update - two weeks tomorrow that the glass was ordered. The rear window is waiting at the dealer, but the windshield is on national back order.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
It's sort of GM, Fuyao Glass America took over the Moraine, Ohio GM plant which closed 2008. Fuyao, a Chinese company, is a GM OEM glass supplier along with others. LOL GM use to make SUV's here talk a cluster F.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Nine years ago, I broke the windshield on my 2009 Genesis V8 returning from my third location of Roswell NM to home, Mt. Dora FL.
Had my dealer Orlando Hyundai order me an OEM windshield which came in a Cardboard Hyundai box.
Don't know who made it, but was perfect.

BTW, I-20 west of Jackson MS noted for broken windshields due to all the rubble and stones from trucks.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Regal GS
Interesting, my dealer got the windshield as quickly as promised, just under a week. However, it doesn't appear to be a GM windshield.
I personally would not accept a non GM product. Its a new car, and there IS a difference in quality of glass on aftermarket windshields. I question glass without the GM stamp. I work at a Buick/GMC service center and thats just what I look for when a customer is questioning glass quality. There is usually a noticeable difference when comparing windshields with the GM stamp, and one with other names stamped. So im curious if you would see a difference when comparing side by side. Even though its from a GM supplier, the service side of me would want to compare it.

Last edited:

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Have not looked at my Tour-X windshield, but. because it is made in Germany by Opal (and Opal is owned by Peugeot, PSA Group), I wonder if replacement Tour-X Windshields say GM?

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
From Wikipedia:
"It is one of the largest auto glass producers in the world,[1] with customers including large international automobile manufacturers such as Ford, General Motors, Subaru and Volkswagen Group. "

And it is kind of interesting that Subaru is the only non-linked name here
I saw an amazingly well-done documentary on Fuyao at a film fest a few weeks ago, specifically about the plant they opened in Dayton, Ohio (just north of where I used to live in Cincy). Titled "American Factory," the doc took a very objective look at the challenges of opening a foreign plant in the US, from both ownership and management views to employee views. It touched on cultural, economical, regulatory challenges, etc. It was quite fascinating. Several times I had to gasp or just mouth a silent "Wow" at some of the things that were said.

Fuyao is an enormous operation with plants all over the world. Many of the people in the doc, from the Fuyao CEO to the most entry-level factory line worker, were not at all what I expected to see at first glance. There was certainly a lot more grey area in all of them, and in some very surprising ways. The film makers also did a Q&A afterward that was very insightful. I highly recommend this film; I think it provides a great snapshot of today's American manufacturing situation, the good and the bad. Try to catch it, should be on Netflix soon as they purchased worldwide rights to it.

That said, they are OEM glass makers to several major car brands as noted above (and in the doc), so I'd think their quality is fine.

Fleuger99

Austin, TX
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
On the subject of windshields, as the technology of our cars gets more complex so does the cost of windshields. Two years ago driving my Volvo XC70, a stone shot up and cracked my windshield. I was originally quoted $350 for a new one until they found out my car had the Collision Avoidance/Pedestrian Detection system and that windshield was $850. Along those lines, my wife's X5 has a HUD and on the BMW forum someone had to replace their windshield whom had a HUD and it was $1500. The glass on the windshield where the HUD projects the image is different to the rest of the windshield glass. Scary stuff.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I believe I read that these cars use acoustic glass. Aftermarket glass may not be - so just be carefull when replacing.

Also, I carry a $0 deductible comprehensive coverage on my auto insurance. Helps tremendously when looking at a $500 (or more) windshield. Over the years it has paid for itself.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
I believe I read that these cars use acoustic glass. Aftermarket glass may not be - so just be carefull when replacing.

Also, I carry a $0 deductible comprehensive coverage on my auto insurance. Helps tremendously when looking at a $500 (or more) windshield. Over the years it has paid for itself.
That's a great idea...I'm gonna look into that as I'm getting ready to switch my auto and home insurance.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I personally would not accept a non GM product. Its a new car, and there IS a difference in quality of glass on aftermarket windshields. I question glass without the GM stamp. I work at a Buick/GMC service center and thats just what I look for when a customer is questioning glass quality. There is usually a noticeable difference when comparing windshields with the GM stamp, and one with other names stamped. So im curious if you would see a difference when comparing side by side. Even though its from a GM supplier, the service side of me would want to compare it.

Here is an original piece of glass.

FUYAO is the OEM supplier for GM, and OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. The GM brand on the glass means little to none because either way it is not manufactured by GM.

Pedal Commander