GM Accessories: cupholder and footwell lighting, INSTALL

88 E5PR1T

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS, '64 Karmann Ghia, '06 Elise
Lights are in! I'm on my iPad right now, so I can't upload pics, but I'll get them when I get back to my PC. Overall im happy with them, though the instructions are HORRIBLE -- I think it was a bad edit of the LaCrosse instructions.

The kit is not made by GM, it's made by ACSCO www.acsco.net ... It is, however, customized specifically for the Regal (cable lengths, connectors, LED color).

There is a switch that cycles the lights dim, bright, and off. The whole thing is powered by the 12V aux in the center console (next to your USB/SD slots, so all the lights will turn off when the car is turned off. DIM is a really nice accent lighting, BRIGHT is, well, bright.

Are they worth $300? Probably not, but I like footwell lights and this kit is the right color and specifically made for our cars. I honestly could have done without the cupholder lights. If you don't want to spend the money, just tap into the ashtray 12V and put some footwell lighting in on your own. No center console to remove, ALOT less hassle.

1. The instructions list a whole bunch of steps on how to remove the center console. THEY'RE WRONG, and they're also written for an automatic. All you need to do it take off the side extension panels, then remove the ashtray (oops, cubby pocket), then pull up on the top half of the center console.
- the side extension panels pull off easily, but reinstalling them the right way is critical. More on this later.
- the ashtray comes out fairly easily. Careful not to ding any of the other trim pieces while you snap it out of place. Remove the connector on the back of the lighter/12V aux.
- before pulling up on the center console, raise the armrest (and remove whatever you have in the pocket/cupholder/USB slot). I did not remove the shift knob, (a) because the instructions didn't say how, and (b) because once the console is free (see next step), you really don't need to.
- unplug all the connectors on the underside of the console. This includes the parking brake, key fob reprogrammer, nav wheel and buttons, 12V aux, and USB, which was the toughest one to remove.

2. Once the console is "free," simply raise it towards the moonroof, and remove the screws that hold the entire assembly on (cupholder, its sliding cover, and USB/SD slot.
- this would have been much easier if you removed the shift knob, but it's not too bad of a job. PUT A SHEET DOWN so when you drop screws, they won't drop into the center console opening. The sheet also protects the corners of your center console where it's pivoting near the shifter.
- the tougher part is figuring out which screws to remove. They're the six outer-most screws that hold the whole assembly... no need to remove the screws that hold individual pieces to the assembly.

3. Now that the cupholder is free, follow the instructions to drill holes and install LEDs. Remove the rubber and punch those holes later. The LEDs are not long enough to go thru both the plastic and the rubber.
- you can't install the LEDS exactly where the instructions suggest. I've got a picture where I drilled mine.

4. Follow the instructions to install the switch.
- same thing here, the instructions suggest installing the switch somewhere that doesnt work with our cars. I've also got a pic where I drilled mine.

5. Follow instructions to wire the rest of the cupholder LEDs. At this point you should be done under the center console, and have three newly installed wires to route up to the front of the car (12V power, LED wire, switch wire).

6. The instructions to install the footwell lights are much better, and just require the removal of two cardboard-foam pieces underneath the dash.
- the adhesive on the back of the LEDs doesn't stick well to that surface, so be careful when sticking them. The screws hold it in fairly well, but we'll see what happens over time.
- if you pull the carpet back, you'll see how easy it is to route the wires from one side of the car to the other.
- I did not secure the wire to the coolant line as the instructions suggest, I think it would get way too hot. I tied them up to a plastic support.

7. The control box is supposed to be installed on the passenger side support leg. No eff'n way; it's too tight to install there. Plus one of those three wires isn't long enough to reach all the way over there. I installed in on the drivers side next to that support leg. Same thing, i think the i structions were originally made for a LaCrosse. Use your judgement, it's just a control box.

8. Test, then reinstall the console, ashtray and other panels that were removed. Make sure the carpet is sitting correctly, and make sure ALL your console's electrical connections are made before securing it. Press each button and even disengage the parking brake before snapping it in place.

9. The side extension panels go on last. They need to be installed into their correct holes or your dash will look like crap. They hold the ashtray and center console in, and they will pop out and not sit flush if installed wrong. When they are installed the right way, they'll pop. Line up ALL your clips and make sure they're lined up with the ashtray, center console, and the console base.

Last edited:

GTXgp

Las Colinas (DFW), TX
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
20100504_133304_useless_without.jpg

88 E5PR1T

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
Yeah I agree. You'll have to wait till Monday when I get back to my laptop!

If I get ambitious I'll snap some pics with the phone and upload them to SkyDrive :cool:

Last edited:

eazyz

Buick Ownership
Buick
Do the lights turn on automatically with the interior lights? Or do they have to be switched on manually?

88 E5PR1T

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
They turn on with the key on. The control box remembers its last state (off, dim, or bright) and will power up in that mode everytime you turn the car on.

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
They turn on with the key on. The control box remembers its last state (off, dim, or bright) and will power up in that mode everytime you turn the car on.

That sounds pretty cool. As I mentioned, my door sills are tied to the dome light circuit so they come and off with the doors (all together, not independent). Of course you can't see them when the doors are closed and covering them.

Are footwells and cups on a single switch or independent? Do the Regals come with any existing footwell lighting? Mine does but it's white like the rest of the dome/entrance lights and only stays on for a short time. When I turn the domes on with the overhead switch the footwells light up. Normally left on 'Auto' they fade out a few seconds after closing the doors.

Cool project, like everyone else, I'm anxious to see your pics. Wonder if the cupholder LED's could be tied to pressure switches in the bottom of the cups. Might be neat. Congrats on a successful install :)

eazyz

Buick Ownership
Buick
That sounds pretty cool. As I mentioned, my door sills are tied to the dome light circuit so they come and off with the doors (all together, not independent). Of course you can't see them when the doors are closed and covering them.

Are footwells and cups on a single switch or independent? Do the Regals come with any existing footwell lighting? Mine does but it's white like the rest of the dome/entrance lights and only stays on for a short time. When I turn the domes on with the overhead switch the footwells light up. Normally left on 'Auto' they fade out a few seconds after closing the doors.

Cool project, like everyone else, I'm anxious to see your pics. Wonder if the cupholder LED's could be tied to pressure switches in the bottom of the cups. Might be neat. Congrats on a successful install :)

You installed a door sill light kit on a Regal?? If so, I would very much like more information on this please!! I really wanted to do this and never thought you could on the Regal.

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
No no. On my lacrosse. Sorry for the confusion. I'm also interested in these cup holder lights so I'm hanging around this thread too :)

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
Is that first pic the switch? Looks like you did a nice clean job there, so how do you like it?

12GSMN

5.7L Member
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.asp...5E783895EF4B7C18!112&authkey=!AEeLj7xe3osfExc

A couple pics from my phone. I can't seem to get the lighting right at night, so I'll use the real camera if anyone wants to see more.

What is the indentation at the bottom of the cupholder? I noted somewhere in my owners manual about accessing under the cupholder (i think for manual start overuse for the push button start or something) but the bottom of my cupholder is flat. Nice job, I bet it looks great at night.

88 E5PR1T

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
The indentation is for reprogramming a key (IIRC). If you remove the rubberized surround for the cupholder, you should see the same indentation.

I've got to get some nighttime pics with a better camera. Maybe that new iPad will do the trick haha.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!