GM Card earnings does not apply to Encore?

CyberBob859

Buick
I'm in the market for a new car, and drove the Encore this weekend. LOVE IT!! Perfect size for me, a nice, refined ride for a vehicle this size, very quiet, decent power, and respectable fuel economy. I drove a Black AWD Leather and was very impressed. Pretty much had everything except for a sunroof and nav.

I received an offer from my GM Card where my earnings have been topped at $3000, so I thought I would apply it to the Encore. However, I checked the eligible vehicle list, and the Encore is not on it!! Is this a typo? I'm wondering if this will be changed fairly soon? The earnings expire at the end of February, I need a car now, and I really like the Encore.

Anybody know anything here?

mmadden2

Northern VA
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
For whatever reason I wouldn't want my dealer knowing I was using GM bucks until negotiations were hammered out. So... Just call a couple other dealers far away and ask them, I assumed a dealer will know the answer. Get a few to give you matching answers and you should be good to go.

caddycruiser

Sometimes, but not always, GM Card bonus points aren't applicable to brand new introduced vehicles, as supply is barely reaching dealers. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Back in 2008 when the new Malibu was just introduced, according to the GM Card bonus mailer it didn't look like it applied to Malibu. But within the GM system and dealer incentive check it did, so we could use them, it was just an incorrect printing in the flyer.

Just ask your dealer where you drove to confirm in the system you can or cannot apply earnings (don't even have to say "bonus earnings", if you don't want to, it makes zero difference and is nothing to hide) and have them confirm. Very easy.

Good luck!

mmadden2

Northern VA
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
Just ask your dealer where you drove to confirm in the system you can or cannot apply earnings (don't even have to say "bonus earnings", if you don't want to, it makes zero difference and is nothing to hide) and have them confirm. Very easy.

Good luck!
That's your opinion. I don't like to show my cards to any sales people until I'm ready. I thought I had negotiated a good starting number and then told my salesman that I wanted the $500 loyalty bonus (it was available at the time) and the yoyo told me he already had that baked in. F You Two Times! I never told you I had a GM and didn't pull up in one so find another $500 jackass. I eventually got my way (which I should have), you just can't trust salesmen, EVER. Maybe there's a good one out there somewhere but how the heck would ever assume that with all the idiots in the mix.

It's my job to protect as much of my family's money as possible, a car salesman's job is the opposite.

The last guy we bought a car from has relentlessly contacted my wife (phone, email, snail mail) asking for reference letters and help getting a job where she works. As if anyone would vouch for a guy they've known all of 30 minutes. "You know Mike, you're being a bit of weirdo, knock it off".

NiTR0Racing21

Buick
For whatever reason I wouldn't want my dealer knowing I was using GM bucks until negotiations were hammered out. So... Just call a couple other dealers far away and ask them, I assumed a dealer will know the answer. Get a few to give you matching answers and you should be good to go.
You realize your going to get the money off regardless right hahaha

Milehighassassin

Buick
So you're mad because the sales guy gave you a discount without you asking for it? Really? You're pissed over that?

There is nothing wrong with a dealer making some money. They are a "business".

slukster

Northern NJ
Encore (first Buick)
So you're mad because the sales guy gave you a discount without you asking for it? Really? You're pissed over that?

There is nothing wrong with a dealer making some money. They are a "business".
It's like when you get one of those flyers from a home improvement company with a coupon for $100 off any job (for example) and "must present coupon to receive deal" written on it. Then the guy comes to do an estimate and after you wait for him to give you the quote, you show him the coupon but then he says "oh, I already included that discount in the quote". Shady. I agree that you shouldn't tell the salesman about a trade-in, GM points or that you even know about the factory cash back that is advertised. Negotiate the price before these are on the table because the salesman uses the "2500 factory cash" as it is coming out of the dealers pocket and that should be good enough. No, I want a lower price off the MSRP before all of these other incentives.

If you look at most advertisements for cars showing great prices they all say in the fine print "includes all offers and incentives" even though when you show up you don't qualify for all of them so your price is higher. Since it is written in the fine print I don't see anything wrong with that. You have to be an informed consumer and understand the fine print. But I agree with mmadden2 because if the salesman never asked whether you qualify for the rebate, how could he have included it and if they didn't qualify, I bet he would have given the same price which means he didn't originally include it.

Last edited:

Milehighassassin

Buick
If its not obvious I sell buick GMC and Honda. I consider it part of my job to do a good interview so I can determine what vehicle they need or at least I can show them as well as finding out what rebates they may or may not qualify for. If they pull up in a Nissan, I may ask. Is that your car? If it is, I'll automatically give a buick customer the conquest cash. Why should I wait for a customer to ask for it? Many don't know it exists. So they would just lose out on it. If I can give them conquest and customer cash Maybe a holiday bonus cash right off the bat, why not? Sure I haven't discounted the car yet but of GM can give them $4500 off and that makes them happy, then it is a win win. I make a little money and the customer walks out happy with the vehicle they bought and with the price they paid.

All that really matters is that the customer is happy with the vehicle they bought and the price they paid. It doesn't matter how we got there.

If you like the dealer, they need to make something or they won't be in business for long. If you don't like them, don't trust them then find a new dealer.

GM's profits are set. Anytime they sell a vehicle they are usually guaranteed x amount of profit. Sure a rebate or bonus cash comes out but they already accounted for that. All dealers pay the same amount for a vehicle. There is some regional differences with advertising and what not but not major amounts.

mouseworks

Buick
I'm in the market for a new car, and drove the Encore this weekend. LOVE IT!! Perfect size for me, a nice, refined ride for a vehicle this size, very quiet, decent power, and respectable fuel economy. I drove a Black AWD Leather and was very impressed. Pretty much had everything except for a sunroof and nav.

I received an offer from my GM Card where my earnings have been topped at $3000, so I thought I would apply it to the Encore. However, I checked the eligible vehicle list, and the Encore is not on it!! Is this a typo? I'm wondering if this will be changed fairly soon? The earnings expire at the end of February, I need a car now, and I really like the Encore.

Anybody know anything here?
I have the GM World MasterCard and was able to use all of my $3822.00 in points when I purchased my Encore. The dealer did tell me never to get rid of that card, as the others don't always let you use all of your points.

slukster

Northern NJ
Encore (first Buick)
I have the GM World MasterCard and was able to use all of my $3822.00 in points when I purchased my Encore. The dealer did tell me never to get rid of that card, as the others don't always let you use all of your points.
My wife has had GM credit card forever and we were able to use all 2900 of her points towards our Encore. The newer GM credit cards have a cap on how many points can be used on a vehicle (varies between vehicles). GM keeps sending my wife offers to "upgrade" her credit card but if she did she would lose her "grandfathered in" status which allows use of unlimited points towards a GM vehicle. mouseworks, I imagine you have had yours for quite a while as well.

mouseworks

Buick
I have had it for some time, since 1994, I believe. Used $3,500 in points in 2003 on my Rendezvous, too, on top of $5,000 manufacturer incentive. Ahhh, those were the days.

gjc

Buick Newbie
Buick
So what happens saleman loses his job because you got 500 more off cost of car come on get real all sale people know how much there are allowed to mark down

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
2018 TourX
Those were the days for sure! The newest Capital One GM Card is not as good. Where the old card could match price increases throughout the year. This latest does not.
I have had it for some time, since 1994, I believe. Used $3,500 in points in 2003 on my Rendezvous, too, on top of $5,000 manufacturer incentive. Ahhh, those were the days.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!