GM GPS Navigation Update

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
I have a 2013 Verano, 2.0T, Premium.
I see GM has finally offered an update to the GPS Nav System for several of their 2013 models.

Has anybody ever purchased any of the GM Nav updates?
I've "heard" more negatives than positives over the years regarding these updates.
Most of the complaints I have heard is that the maps are already out of date on the latest releases.
And that it obviously takes WAY TOO LONG for new updates to be offered.
I believe this is the first Nav System update even offered for the 2013 Verano.
4+ years to get an update??!!!

The regular price for the GM updates is $160 plus shipping.
They are currently running a "special" for 2013 models through June 30th, 2017.
Price is $140 and free shipping.

It is beyond ridiculous that these updates have to be purchased.
Especially given the outrageous markup price for the Nav System option.
I bought my Mom a TomTom last Christmas for around $140 and it came with free lifetime map updates and live traffic notification.

GM needs to get out of the GPS Navigation Business and just partner with one of the GPS Companies like TomTom, Garmin, etc.
And have update capability either through OnStar, Wifi, Bluetooth, even USB via a laptop computer.
Or... They could link the car to something like Google Maps.
Or... Offer the ability to link/interface your SmartPhone Navigation App with the car and have it show on the info. screen.

Anybody want to weigh in?

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Or... Offer the ability to link/interface your SmartPhone Navigation App with the car and have it show on the info. screen.

Anybody want to weigh in?
I think that's part of the functionality in Apple's CarPlay and Android Auto. The disadvantage, from what I understand, is that the maps are downloaded in real-time over the air using the smartphone, whereas the builtin navigation units load the maps from memory and don't require anything external to function. Someone with a big data plan in a city would be fine with the smartphone solution, whereas someone with a limited data plan in an area with mediocre/sporadic cell coverage might still want a dedicated Nav device.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
Thanks for the Smart Phone information.
Good to know and consider.

Personally, I've never been a big smart phone user.
And I'm even a computer programmer by trade.
I have never used any Nav. Apps. on a smart phone.
However, I have on a few occasions, rode and driven with people we were.
Overall, I was less than impressed with the results, but maybe that's just me, or them not using the phone/app correctly.

I do have a TomTom I bought maybe 5 or 6 years ago, it came with free lifetime map updates and live traffic notifications.
I have kept the unit up to date and have no complaints with it.
I'm guessing I probably get a complete map update from TomTom around 4 times a year. Quarterly?
You also get periodic firmware updates and bug fixes.
The live traffic notifications are also very useful and have helped me avoid some real traffic delays a few times.

I just find it perplexing and even ignorant with the way GM manages their onboard navigation systems.
I could accept a nominal fee($20) for updates, since GM is not in the Nav Business.
But at $140+ for very sporadic and out of date updates(oxymoron), really makes no sense.

With that being said, I will be even more ignorant and probably buy the latest update for $140.
Just so I can keep the car "up to date".
And if I am ever in a pinch, and need to use the on board nav, there will be a "better" chance that it will give me correct directions.

Michael121

Buick Ownership
2015 Verano Turbo
I have a 2015 Verano Turbo and I ponied up the "discounted" $140 for an update 3-4 months ago - received a USB thumb drive in the mail and it took about 20-30 minutes to install (via the USB input in the console between the seats). It's only a map update, not a system function update -- the nav system runs no differently.

So far, I have not encountered any situations where I can see that the map update affected me and I don't recall any mapping problems with the version that came with the car. Like you, I just wanted to be "up to date". I doubt that I'll purchase the next update that's offered - I think I'll skip a cycle or two.

I also agree that it's ridiculously overpriced.

Michael

mmoretti

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2017 Regal with Navigation that needs an update - firmware and possibly maps - can I download to a USB stick and do this myself?

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
I have a 2017 Regal with Navigation that needs an update - firmware and possibly maps - can I download to a USB stick and do this myself?

Unfortunately, No. At least not that I have been able to find.

It appears the only way to update the Nav. System is to purchase the update from GM.
The update is mailed to you on a USB drive along with instructions on how to install.

The whole process is ridiculous, not to mention over priced.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
Finally broke down and just ordered the GM Nav Update.
"On-Sale" for $139.99 and Free Shipping - $3.95 savings (whoopee!!!)
And then they tack on $10.15 Sales Tax (Ohio)
Final Total: $150.14

What a Rip-Off, and yes I'm probably a fool for buying it.

g_375819

Kevin,
I agree it feels like a rip off.
It would seem that to keep up with the market standard (free map updates and phone streaming) GM would offer this to owners free as part of a customer care package. This could be a free dealer service too. I'd even pay 10 bucks to cover the cost of the USB. But !160 or 140 is ridiculous - even the "special" $99 (plus shipping and taxes) is crazy.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.