• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

GM offering true factory warranty

Rk54Strat

Buick Ownership
TourX
I’m not sure if this has been discusses previously though GM is offering a true factory warranty extension program. I brought it to the attention of the F&I guy when I closing my deal and he claimed he wasn’t aware of the program or he was just playing hardball. I had him bring the GM into the discussion and after 10 minutes of going back and forth they “found” the information. Their initial price quote was absurd and after going back forth for another 15 minutes we agreed on a price. I normally don’t do any extended coverages on new car purchases though the TourX will be a long term vehicle for us.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Is there a difference between this Extended Warranty and their Extended Service Plan.

Also, Car and Driver says it reimburses you after you have paid for the work.

You will NOT get a discount on the price in Florida. Florida considers the Extended Service Plans, INSURANCE and dealers not allowed to charge anything other than the price set by the insurance (manufacturer) company. Stems from years ago, insurance salesmen (health, life, vehicle, etc) were charging more than what the insurance company listed. Florida passed a consumer law forbidding it. Unfortunately, the law does not differentiate between charging more, or less.

How do I know this?? Good question. Back in 2001, I purchased a Honda in Florida. Dealer said he could not discount the price. Was not about to pay the high price so I waited until I got to my NY location. My dealer sold me the policy at a large discount. Two days later, I was at that dealers office talking to the office girls. Phone rang and one of the girls said, “yes, he is right here in front of me”. Honda corporate wanted to know if I was buying by phone, or mail, because I had a Florida address. Honda corporate was not going to let the dealer sell me the policy. Well, I also had a NY address, so using my NY address, my NY dealer could discount the Extended Service Policy to me.

Rk54Strat

Buick Ownership
TourX
The GM offer is not a service plan. It extends the factory warranty by a pre-set duration and or mileage. It’s not a stand alone policy or outside company supplying the coverage. It’s GM corporate

Loodle

Buick Ownership
Tourx
The article seems to indicate it must be done at the point of purchase, but I was under the impression that it could be bought up within the first year of ownership.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Unfortunately its not available for vehicles sold in California, Florida, Hawaii, Maine, Minnesota, or Missouri, or else I would have got it.
I suspect those are the states with real consumer protection laws that the GM lawyers advised corporate that it would get expensine when GM weasels out of honoring the extended warranty?

I'm just feeling dark today.

Loodle

Buick Ownership
Tourx
It definitely needs to be purchased at the same time the car is purchased. It’s was in the coverage explanation disclosure.
That's wierd, because I remember specifically asking that question of the finance manager when filling out the paperwork. I suppose it's possible what he was offering wasn't the official Buick warranty but I doubt it. I need to follow up.

Rk54Strat

Buick Ownership
TourX
This is from the original GM press release.
We're offering dealers and customers another choice. It's up to the dealers which product they choose to sell," spokeswoman Rita Kass-Shamoun told C/D.
But buyers need to make the deal at purchase or walk away without another chance. Unlike most factory extended warranties that allow owners to add the coverage at any time before the original warranty expires, the one and only time you can take GM's offer is at the point of sale. It's also only valid for new-car buyers starting today. If you purchased a new Malibu last week, forget it. Certified pre-owned models that carry their own factory extended warranties are ineligible. Since the extended warranty carries all the same terms as the standard warranty, GM considers it a permanent replacement instead of an add-on. That means customers can't cancel and receive refunds before the extra coverage begins, a practice some other automakers follow.

Loodle

Buick Ownership
Tourx
This is from the original GM press release.
We're offering dealers and customers another choice. It's up to the dealers which product they choose to sell," spokeswoman Rita Kass-Shamoun told C/D.
But buyers need to make the deal at purchase or walk away without another chance. Unlike most factory extended warranties that allow owners to add the coverage at any time before the original warranty expires, the one and only time you can take GM's offer is at the point of sale. It's also only valid for new-car buyers starting today. If you purchased a new Malibu last week, forget it. Certified pre-owned models that carry their own factory extended warranties are ineligible. Since the extended warranty carries all the same terms as the standard warranty, GM considers it a permanent replacement instead of an add-on. That means customers can't cancel and receive refunds before the extra coverage begins, a practice some other automakers follow.
I guess I don't see how this is better than the GMEPP Platinum Protection, am I missing something?

Rk54Strat

Buick Ownership
TourX
You're probably not missing anything and for that matter either am I. I feel the GM extended warranty provided a good value to me. I did my research and factored in my past experiences with other after sale warranty products and choose the GM product. YMMV

Loodle

Buick Ownership
Tourx
You're probably not missing anything and for that matter either am I. I feel the GM extended warranty provided a good value to me. I did my research and factored in my past experiences with other after sale warranty products and choose the GM product. YMMV
I agree, I wish my dealer would have mentioned that as an option, looking back at my paperwork he certainly did not.

Rk54Strat

Buick Ownership
TourX
I think the GMEPP program is handled by a company called ALLY.
The GM extension is really nothing more than buying extra time/miles and having it add to the actual factory warranty. So it’s all in house handled by GM. No approvals needed, no deductibles and no gray areas.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Regal GS
So here is some inside information. Finance guys up in sales get a larger bonus for selling the aftermarket contracts usually. At the dealer i work for, we sell Ally and GM extended warranties when purchasing a new car. More often than not, finance ends up selling the customer Ally instead of GM warranty. All because it means a bigger kick back for them. As a service adviser........it makes ZERO sense to me. Ally is junk compared to GM extended warranty. and now GM is offering a FULL BUMPER TO BUMPER extended warranty for new vehicle purchases.......it SHOULD be a no brainer right??? Unfortunately the all mighty dollar wins. :cautious:

Rk54Strat

Buick Ownership
TourX
That was my experience. The F&I guy just kept pitching the Ally coverage while claiming ignorance of the GM product. I finally told him I was leaving and I just wanted to sign off on the loan. It finally clicked with him that I wasn’t buying the Ally package and I only wanted the GM coverage.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
So here is some inside information. Finance guys up in sales get a larger bonus for selling the aftermarket contracts usually. At the dealer i work for, we sell Ally and GM extended warranties when purchasing a new car. More often than not, finance ends up selling the customer Ally instead of GM warranty. All because it means a bigger kick back for them. As a service adviser........it makes ZERO sense to me. Ally is junk compared to GM extended warranty. and now GM is offering a FULL BUMPER TO BUMPER extended warranty for new vehicle purchases.......it SHOULD be a no brainer right??? Unfortunately the all mighty dollar wins. :cautious:
Speaking of ALLY bank, the dealer I purchased from sent me documentation out of the ordinary lite the GM to dealer build sheet etc. because I was out of state and being a real fussy pain in the butt. I think they sent the floor plan info by accident. Part of that info indicated that ALLY was financing their floor plan and had a date that according to the people who deciphered it for me at my wife's corporate insurance office where she works, if the dealer went past that date, ALLY would start charging them credit card interest rates to the dealer on the floor plan for my car.
That sort of explains what they let it go at about 68% of MSRP. I had to Finance thru ALLY also.
The ALLY loan is paid off, and I switched to Pen-Fed. I figure going with Ally for that short time cost me an extra $400.
So I imagine there is all sorts of stuff going on in a dealers finance department regarding warranty's.

G-840445

If you are buying an extended warranty, do yourself a favor and negotiate that price down too. They make huge commissions on extended warranties so don't take their first offer.

Kybuck83

Orange County, CA
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Some history - Ally Financial used to be GMAC, as in a subsidiary of GM for nearly 100 years. This unit kept GM profitable for a while via their mortgage business, but ultimately contributed to the eventual GM bankruptcy. The company was spun off and rebranded as Ally.

GM then set up a new subsidiary, GM Financial, which hopefully stays out of the mortgage business.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
I didn't want the extended warranty. I didn't want to wait 2 more years before I could put a tune on the wife's car.
If the tune causes something to fail, then only the warranty on that part is voided. Everything else not affected by the tune is still covered. For example if you have a tune and the power window motor goes bad, they will still fix it.

Pedal Commander