Got 26,000 out of my Brembo pads...looking for a low dust replacement

cmgww

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac, GMC
Took my GS in for a few small things to get fixed the other day. I had noticed the familiar "warning screech" as I was driving about a week ago. I knew, given what I've read on here and the softness of the OEM pads, that I was probably due for new ones. 26,000 miles isn't too bad considering how I drive. The dealer wants to charge me $475 for new ones. I laughed in his face. I've changed pads before and it's not a hard job. What a rip-off. Anyway, I've searched a bit on here and can't seem to find a consensus on what is the best replacement pad. I definitely don't want the ridiculous dust the OEMs put off....so I am thinking ceramic. I don't want to sacrifice too much stopping power, bc those Brembos saved my ass a few times in heavy traffic (I drove the 26k since Jan 2nd, I'm in sales and drive a LOT).
Recommendations are welcome. I looked around and the good brands are pricey! If anyone knows of a decent pad or site where I don't have to shell out $300 that would be great.

MayorMcCheese

Buick Ownership
Buick
To be honest , I had such a headache with my brake pads , I'll find the link in a minute .. to be honest.. just buy ONE .. There on Amazon I have the link on here there like 120 dollars

I had hawk HP plus .. I wanted really good pads that I thought would be better than OEM brembos .. first off they weren't..they were good but oem we're better.. the.squeaked so often and so bad that I had.to replAce them twice still terrible .. go to the deAler .. have them look and I ended up buying ONE again since there new still the dust isn't so bad I love how a tap on the brake.stops the car

I don't like EBC yellows and there's none other I like .. you can look at camaro SS pads since we share same brakes but honestly just go OEM

fgriff1

Contributing Member
Rockland, NY
Buick Ownership
Buick 2012 Regal GS, 06 C6, 08 G6 GXP
I have had these on for about 3000 miles. Dust is almost non existing . they do squeak for the first few presses of the brake, especially when cold. a quick hard press gets rid of the squeak. Besides my OEM pads squeaked as well.very good stopping power, very slightly less then OEM.

Too me giving up such very small difference in stopping power was well worth the price of clean rims. even the inside barrels stay exceptionally clean. Before it seemed I was cleaning dust every round trip to work ; about 50 miles.

Akebono is the OE Manufacturer; OE Pad Material is Ceramic! I would suggest AKEBONO Part # ASP1001 Front; GS Model; w/Brembo Brakes & AKEBONO Part # ACT1430 ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic Pad Rear.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1504744&parttype=1684

MayorMcCheese

Buick Ownership
Buick
Akebono isn't.the OE manufacture of the brembos ..unless I'm interpreting something wrong
For my GS , I'd rather crash it into tree before I buy brakes from rock auto
ACDelco 171-1089 GM Original Equipment Front Disc Brake Pad Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BZS6KW/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_z9bPub034XCRK
Those are our OEM brembos pads with cold weather the pads don't dust as much and anything.else your losing.stopping power it's one or the other

NHRATA01

New York
Buick Ownership
'01 Trans Am, '12 GS
Heh, if you think changing front pads is a joke, wait til you do it on a Brembo caliper. Not a single bolt to turn, just need a punch to knock out the retaining pins and the pads slide right out.

I went with the Akebonos 4 months ago and they do not dust a hair, stopping power is still excellent and they should do better than 25K miles. You have 4 piston front calipers, even a harder pad is still going to out-brake your average car and with that much stopping power treadware rating of the tires becomes a bigger factor in stopping distance than pad material.

QSilverGS

Holland, MI
Buick Ownership
2012 GS, 2006 Rendezvous
Friend at work just changed out the fronts on her GS with ebc reds. Said she likes them so far, very little dust. Not a very aggressive driver though and got over 30k miles out of the first oem set.

cmgww

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac, GMC
Went with Akebonos from TireRack.com, $74 for an axle set. Thanks for the input! Should have them on by next week.

ZoomZoom Diva

5.7L LS1 Member
Apple Valley, MN
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal GS "Bruce"
Friend at work just changed out the fronts on her GS with ebc reds. Said she likes them so far, very little dust. Not a very aggressive driver though and got over 30k miles out of the first oem set.

EBC RedStuff are a great reduced dust option. I had 2 sets on my Mazda6 and they worked great.

One note on replacing Brembo pads that a friend in the STi community told me about. In order to avoid patent issues, the sizing of the pads can be slightly different than the OEM Brembos. This can cause initial squealing and other noise issues for an adjustment period until the new pads get seated properly. I don't know if it applies to the Regal GS, but considering some symptoms mentioned, and the experiences of the Scooby folk, there seems to be a commonality.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!