• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Got car back from the body shop

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
Why can’t I win?

got the car back

the wheel arch trim is not glued evenly

sticks out at the bottom

bumper cover has few dirt specs trapped underpaint

when I open the hatch see wax or some other residue on the rough trim pieces

one of the trim pieces is loose
- next to the light

Certainly does not have the same feel as “before”

Attachments

• C8E403D2-9143-485B-A448-9709F185ED3E.jpeg
    C8E403D2-9143-485B-A448-9709F185ED3E.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 03460032-6257-40A8-A115-0C7F22136B23.jpeg
    03460032-6257-40A8-A115-0C7F22136B23.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 61
  • E03816E8-4856-445D-A467-498FF61790E5.jpeg
    E03816E8-4856-445D-A467-498FF61790E5.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 48C04A6D-4FEA-4D0C-B489-A8378F0A20BB.jpeg
    48C04A6D-4FEA-4D0C-B489-A8378F0A20BB.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 60

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
Do I have grounds for them to replace both wheelwell trim attached to the rear bumper cover?
(the photos are taken with an old phone so they are not of the best quality)

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Opel Insignia Country Tourer with Buick steering wheel, HMI and floor mats
I hate body shops, I hate dealerships as well.... It is so rare to find good place that have some proud in work they are doing. I think you have all the grounds to have them re-do trims work, as this is not how it came from the factory(and they were supposed to put it back to the factory specs). When I had an accident earlier this year - I brought it to the recommended bodyshop. They had side trims scratched, while lifting the car - so they went ahead and replaced both without me telling them to do so. They told me that, when I was picking up the car and they showed me the damage(there were few scratches here and there). As far as defects on the paint - could it be buffed out?

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
As I was picking up the car I noticed (what I think is dirt specs) under paint or clear. Again I'm not a body or paint guy. Just a car fan.

They say to bring it back to wet sand it.
Then I noticed the wheelarch trim not fitting in evenly - as if it has gaps in the tape and stick in more where the tape is plus the bent trim on the bottom on the driver side.

Then once I got home and looked things over more I see one of the trim/clips has what I think is wax, and another one is loose - you can move it with a finger.

I took it for a quick drive last night and then to work today. I hear small constant squaks coming from the rear. The whole thing is annoying as hell.

I'm about to call my ins co so that it's on file.
I looked at body shops in the area (and chose from the preferred list) and read many google reviews, etc.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
My dealer (Danny Lenn Buick-GMC) has their own body shop.
I’ve had friends get their cars repaired there. They only have two repair guys and one paint guy. They do FANTASTIC work.

A friend of mine put me on to them before I bought my Buick. He got his Mercedes fixed there and the work was exceptional.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
Question:
Would a new bumper cover OEM come pre-painted the correct body color?

Why would they need to repaint a used cover?
I see the "cladding" bottom bumper trim is not new and also not mine (as I had a scuff mark) and I looked in the hitch area and there is dirt there that should not be present.
All this leads me to believe that the bumper cover I have received is a used one.
Car is one year old (from the date of original sale) with less than 10k miles.

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Opel Insignia Country Tourer with Buick steering wheel, HMI and floor mats
Question:
Would a new bumper cover OEM come pre-painted the correct body color?

Why would they need to repaint a used cover?
I see the "cladding" bottom bumper trim is not new and also not mine (as I had a scuff mark) and I looked in the hitch area and there is dirt there that should not be present.
All this leads me to believe that the bumper cover I have received is a used one.
Car is one year old (from the date of original sale) with less than 10k miles.
It might come with primer coating maximum. They never pre-paint.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
OK, thanks for that note.
Still the way the top and bottom pieces are mated together is not to the factory spec. I think the pieces are held by snapped plastic and doubleside tape (that's my speculation) and the way the two pieces flow together is uneven. Some spots things stick out more on the bumper.
The lower bumper trim (like the cladding stuff on the lower bumper on the sides and around the exhaust does not look like it's mine and does not look new - shows fading or staining)

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Not clear on why it was at a body shop to begin with warranty work or insurance damages? Who decided on the body shop to do the work? Have you gone back or contacted the shop about the problems, explained what was noticed and what was expected? Did they offer to fix the issues?

I would start with the source of the problem and see what results come from the original shop. If it's not satisfied then move on to the next step. Seeing how no one on the forum knows the shop or it's quality of workmanship you may have had 2nd stringers working on, it's a chun and burn shop or they assume that it's good enough until it's brought to their attention. Document it with description, details of your observations and include photos then if necessary send it to the insurance company and the shop via email so everyone is working off the same sheet.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
Got into a light hit in the back while at the light.

took the car to a body shop which was on the approved preferred list from my ins co.
Close to me with plenty of Google and Facebook feedback.

I picked up the car yesterday.
I wanted to reach out to the online forum to gauge if my expectations are on par.

mom not familiar with body shopans or paint process and only know that wet sanding help to cure the orange peel. I don’t know if it can fix specs of dirt trapped under.

If the metal bumper cover is new too is it expected to have scratches as in from shipment or install? Does it come shipped wrapped in protective plastic foil or cardboard box, or loose?

based on what I have noticed so far I wonder if the items were replaced with new or used...

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Asking the shop may yield how and what was used. Depending on insurance companies policies for repair or replacement parts could also be something that might be considered asking about or at least looking into. Some may request new OEM, some aftermarket and some salvage parts are approved for repairs and it could be all the above being used.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
The shop said they would use a remanufactured bumper cover. I insisted on a new.
They told me soon afterwards that they got approved for new

They said ins insisted on brand new metal support bumper.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
I’m picking up my GS at the body shop tomorrow and have my fingers crossed. My Buick dealer, Paul Masse, is superb and they recommended the body shop which is just down the road. The shop has many good references. The right front quarter was damaged as well as the right front suspension. Damages total 10000.00 and the other drivers insurance company has handled it well. I do intend to get an appraisal shortly and go after Diminished Value damages.
OEM parts took no longer than 3-4 days.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
You still have parts you questioned in your post if new, used or even replaced so it's not something that you may be able to find the answer in a forum. Back to the body shop and ask what was done on each part that is in question and let them explain what they did or didn't do.

remmy

Hampton, VA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Got into a light hit in the back while at the light.

took the car to a body shop which was on the approved preferred list from my ins co.
Close to me with plenty of Google and Facebook feedback.

I picked up the car yesterday.
I wanted to reach out to the online forum to gauge if my expectations are on par.

mom not familiar with body shopans or paint process and only know that wet sanding help to cure the orange peel. I don’t know if it can fix specs of dirt trapped under.

If the metal bumper cover is new too is it expected to have scratches as in from shipment or install? Does it come shipped wrapped in protective plastic foil or cardboard box, or loose?

based on what I have noticed so far I wonder if the items were replaced with new or used...

Ding! Ding! Ding!

This right here! You have the choice of taking your car back and bringing this fact up to the body shop to reverse-fornicate their repair f*** ups (which I cant believe they delivered the car back to you with a straight face while fenders flairs are peeling off) or you can call your insurance and throw it into their face by asking why a preferred shop on their accord is delivering you a trash workmanship product. That is the ONLY benefit of using a 'preferred' shop on their list.

That being said, this should be a lesson learned that just because the insurance co. happened to list this shop on their 'preferred' list doesnt mean that all will perfectly end in your favor. It means that they do in fact work together on mitigating cost. Want to be a body shop that gets tons of free business from a major insurance company? Awesome, then that means you have to play by their rules, adjusters, and money pay outs. For future reference, by law you can go to any body shop you damn well please. The catch is the insurance company will not cover for you if the shop screws the pooch.

Im not ranting because I have a tin foil hat, its because I know form experience... multiple times.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
Today I fill up the windshield fluid and I see fine dust crap all over the engine bay with clear marks if something being wiped off.

fir the record I did mark my finger over the strut area (not sure ifit will show in photos)

I think it’s either some body filler compound sanded off in the air
Or
Fire extinguisher powder

years ago I had a small extinguisher in the car and got the car back from body shop with this yellow powder in all creavices

this has slightly different color

but obvious signs of attempted cleanup.

now I’m pissed even more

Attachments

• C3E32A59-AD26-4076-905A-CE48951065FF.jpeg
    C3E32A59-AD26-4076-905A-CE48951065FF.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 27B90C8D-8586-406F-ACEC-78F00A2B0B71.jpeg
    27B90C8D-8586-406F-ACEC-78F00A2B0B71.jpeg
    392.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 478F2EBA-609E-4954-82E4-ED62D5B9344E.jpeg
    478F2EBA-609E-4954-82E4-ED62D5B9344E.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 126DFD76-A1C2-404F-ABA3-070920507D6A.jpeg
    126DFD76-A1C2-404F-ABA3-070920507D6A.jpeg
    456.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 5165F52B-FBFF-48B9-913C-DB52A16AB7A3.jpeg
    5165F52B-FBFF-48B9-913C-DB52A16AB7A3.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 16

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
I'm fairly certain last time I took the car to the dealer was for the fact I could not get the hood closed and the engine bay was clean. I mean pretty damn clean "still from when it was cleaned/detailed before I got the car in May".

Last time I checked under the hood is when I could not get the hood to close. I did have the AC checked but not sure if it was before or after that issue. I will call the dealer and verify. And the I'll know for sure if it's on the body shop or not.

EDIT:
Confirmed with my dealer the last time the car was in for service at the dealer was the day before the crash. I brought in the car to the dealer because I could not close the hood. I distinctly remember the engine bay being clean. I took the car to the shop few days after the accident.

It's on them.

Last edited:
Get your turbo buick badge right here!