• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Got some stock TourX ¼ mile time numbers.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
As absurd as taking a TourX to an X-Cross is getting ¼ mile time numbers.
Wednesday at NEWD newenglanddragway | Wednesday Street Night
I was out of place with my TourX.

They have changed the rules considerably for 2008 cars and newer to allow fast tuned daily drivers to run.
Certified Cage only required for cars running under 10 seconds and or+140 mph.
Slicks are allowed for test and tune only, No side by side racing on Wednesday with slicks.

To put things in perspective., there were at least ½ dozen typically old, well off gentlemen with their tuned Audi , AMG, & BMW sedans running low eleven second ¼ miles trapping over 125 MPH. There was also a pair of Caddies that ran the same or better, with ice coolers in the trunk for their inter-coolers.

A fellow with an RS7 showed me video of a timed 1-1/2 mile run at lta-lsr
He trapped at 192mph, One mile speed was 173 MPH in a luxury sedan.

Also a 700 WHP very nice WRX that did not look or sound the part, but went like 10 seconds, and 860 RWHP Charger Hell Kitty former Hendricks racing toy that was sandbagging to keep it under 10 seconds . (He accidentally trapped at 143 mph & was shut down for night and let off with a warning.)

Older “muscle cars” were few, but there were a lot of old very tattered looking Honda's and Mitsubishi’s . etc that were well into the 12’s.
A turbo C4 Vette ran high eights at +150’s, but most corvettes , Mustangs and truck were relatively slow.

But everything was faster than my TourX, even a 2.0L LGT Camaro. I managed to hold off a Honda Civic type R of the 1/8 mile.

Conditions:
The Pb was 29.93” Hg. Ambient temp was from 62 to 55F, so DA was about 1.01
I forgot get a race weight, darn it.
I was carrying at least 100 lbs of tools, road travel & safety gear, Doggy gear &, heavy rubber double mats everywhere stuff from shopping I left in the car.etc.
I should have cleaned out the car. I’m also 240 lbs plus. 2/3 to ¾ tank of 60% Shell 93, 40% 87 Octane.

Car GVWR is 4894 Lbs, Capacity is 944 Lbs, so my TourX weighs 3950 lbs. plus driver & stuff works out to be about 4,300 lbs.
It's hard to go fast with just 250 HP at best.

Here is what I learned:
It's hard to go fast with just 250 HP at best pushing plus two tons.
Engine Management does don’t want you to spool up the turbo and brake torque.
If you try to launch at 2000 RPM , Tour X will be soft of line. Launch at idle did not work well either.
So Flash the converted when tree starts to move to 1500-1800 RPM and just go.

At least in my car it would shift into 4th gear early , like before 5600 RPM
I learned late that you let it shift into 2nd by itself but use manual mode to do the 2-3 & 3-4 shift at about 6100 RPM. Engine rev limiter on mine is 6,300 rpm

I think the magazine test data seems optimistic I say my Tour X is a 15 second 94 MPH car best conditions.

Trifecta tune will happen, but I’ll try to wait till next spring.
A bit more power & transmission tune needs a good tweaking.

I am doubtful if my TourX could run 14 flat, 100 mph with a tune. But another 30-40 hp would sure help.
We will see next year, God willing.

Attachments

Last edited:

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Still sounds like a helluva lotta fun. The RS7 speed certainly got my attention :oops:
You would park next to the that RS7 at Costco and have no idea. Owner could take grandma out for lunch and she would never know. = Idiot next to you at a stoplight would have no idea until you showed him. Got to love a sleeper. But I saw the video and speed readouts, plus it was running 125 to 127 trap speeds in the 1/4 mile. Darn thing would spank my 03 Cobra & probably rides nicer than the TourX.
I wonder how reliable and expensive the car is to service?
I would love the TourX to move like a tuned RS6 wagon. Sad to say comparing the fast Caddies to the German stuff was like a Vette to a 911.
The Caddies while just as fast, had obvious mods, while the German cars looked completely stock.

Last edited:

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I wonder how reliable and expensive the car is to service?
Don’t own it past 40k miles and you never have to worry about those things.

Own it past 40k and you should have some very deep pockets.

S Cars are $$$
RS Cars are $$$$$

A lot of those cars end up being beat down by folks that don’t know what they’re getting into after the rich old white owner trades it off.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Don’t own it past 40k miles and you never have to worry about those things.

Own it past 40k and you should have some very deep pockets.

S Cars are $$$
RS Cars are $$$$$

A lot of those cars end up being beat down by folks that don’t know what they’re getting into after the rich old white owner trades it off.
So cost of ownership of an AMG 6.3 Tuned wagon is not like a 140 HP 2003 Mazda Protege5 that ran 300K miles just fine until it rusted to dust?
So much for dreaming.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
TourX & Cobra, Happy to have what I got and some health.
I guess I have to give my Slowbaru Forester a pat on the hood too so not to hurt it’s feelings.

Last edited:

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
15.0 is not bad for a 4 banger AWD wagon.
In this game there are always tradeoffs.

I managed 14.3 @ 96 last summer in my FWD Sportback, Preferred-II trim, on 2 separate hot humid days. First time I had 3/8 th tank of 91/94 mix octane. Second time I put 102'ish octane and it didn't help, which tells me the knock sensors didn't pick up much ( if any ) pre-detonation running the 91/94 mix.

My FWD Sportback with me in it tips the scale just shy of 3,800 lbs.

DoUSail2

Buick Ownership
Her 2018 Regal TourX Essence, Frost, Convenience 1&2, S&S
From a post of mine last year that explains why 102 octane made no difference:
Modern ECM's have learning functions built into their software. If you run 87 octane and drive sporty you will set off the
knock sensors
and the ECM will start pulling timing. If you do that enough it will eventually learn that as the new timing map. It is easy to know when you have to much timing as the knock sensor goes off. It is much harder to determine if you have margin because you have to add timing back in until you start getting knock again and it does so very conservatively over time. What that means is the car is quick to learn it needs to pull timing and create the new timing map for 87 octane fuel. When you go back to 93 octane you will still be using that timing map with less than desirable timing and performance will suffer for some time until the ECM realizes more performance is actually available by advancing the timing. Bottom line is you cannot switch back and forth and have more performance when you pump 93 and cheaper fill ups when you pump 87. You will just constantly be using the wrong timing table for the gas you have in it. So you should be consistent with the gas you put in your car so you are using a timing table that is proven over time for your driving habits.

My Summer car is a Pontiac (Holden) G8 GT that makes 425 Horsepower at the rear wheels and is tuned with HP Tuners software and logging data both from street driving and 1/4 runs at my local dragstrip. It runs low 12 sec 1/4 miles on street tires and trim. Sad thing is, if my wife ever caught me hooking up my laptop to her TourX I would be dead meat. And to think, turbo cars have so much potential with just a good tune.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
From a post of mine last year that explains why 102 octane made no difference:
Modern ECM's have learning functions built into their software. If you run 87 octane and drive sporty you will set off the

knock sensors

and the ECM will start pulling timing. If you do that enough it will eventually learn that as the new timing map. It is easy to know when you have to much timing as the knock sensor goes off. It is much harder to determine if you have margin because you have to add timing back in until you start getting knock again and it does so very conservatively over time. What that means is the car is quick to learn it needs to pull timing and create the new timing map for 87 octane fuel. When you go back to 93 octane you will still be using that timing map with less than desirable timing and performance will suffer for some time until the ECM realizes more performance is actually available by advancing the timing. Bottom line is you cannot switch back and forth and have more performance when you pump 93 and cheaper fill ups when you pump 87. You will just constantly be using the wrong timing table for the gas you have in it. So you should be consistent with the gas you put in your car so you are using a timing table that is proven over time for your driving habits.

My Summer car is a Pontiac (Holden) G8 GT that makes 425 Horsepower at the rear wheels and is tuned with HP Tuners software and logging data both from street driving and 1/4 runs at my local dragstrip. It runs low 12 sec 1/4 miles on street tires and trim. Sad thing is, if my wife ever caught me hooking up my laptop to her TourX I would be dead meat. And to think, turbo cars have so much potential with just a good tune.
You're correct for the most part. There are "Knock Adaptive Learn" tables.

I scanned my 1/4 mile times both times with 91/94 mix and 102 mix. Neither runs had any KR, therefore the ECM was not pulling timing.
The only way I could take advantage of higher than 91 octane is to add more timing, otherwise it's a waste.

I always tell people to get a smartphone scanner for their car and scan for knock because the car will ALWAYS make more power on the lowest octane that doesn't induce Pre-Detonation.

If at full throttle my car never shows KR with 91 octane then 94 octane not only would be a huge waste of money, but also the engine would not be the most efficient with the 94 octane. Only if you have a way to bump up the timing, then higher octane could show more power, and only way to know is to run the 1/4 mile or the dyno and compare.

I got my HPTuners Pro in 2007, so I have a vague idea about ecm/tcm/fscm tuning.
But unfortunately HPT does not support the 2018+ Regal ( hopefully they will ). I can only scan :pokeit:

Last edited:

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
>
I always tell people to get a smartphone scanner for their car and scan for knock because the car will ALWAYS make more power on the lowest octane that doesn't induce Pre-Detonation.<
THIS is so true- and so often misunderstood by SO many. I'm surprised (ok, no I'm not) how many people just think higher octane means the fuel has "more power" in it.

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
GM rates the engine at 259hp. Did they get that number with 91 octane? Was it 93? Pure gas or the 10% ethanol stuff? I’m new to GM but I know Ford uses 93 octane and 100% gas to get their power numbers. I see quite a few posts from people saying they pump X amount of 87 and X amount of 93 to achieve 91. Just wondering if it’s to save a couple bucks or because that’s the most efficient octane.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Rumor has it GM tested LS3 for Pontiac G8 on lower octane fuel then Chevy LS3 thus SAE rating of only 415HP. This goes back to GM's biggest mistake Corvette, when they should have used F88 or Bonneville Special.
They would not let Pontiac build the Banshee which were outperforming the Vettes during testing.

Last edited:

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
Rumor has it GM tested LS3 for Pontiac G8 on lower octane fuel then Chevy LS3 thus SAE rating of only 415HP. This goes back to GM's biggest mistake Corvette, when they should have used F88 or Bonneville Special.
They would not let Pontiac build the Banshee which were outperforming the Vettes during testing.
Sounds like Ford when the 93 Mark VIIIs were smacking mustangs around. They changed the PCM tuning halfway thru the model year on the Lincoln to dull it a little.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Sounds like Ford when the 93 Mark VIIIs were smacking mustangs around. They changed the PCM tuning halfway thru the model year on the Lincoln to dull it a little.
If GM had half a brain, the mid engine Vette would be a Caddy!

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
"If GM had half a brain"
They do have half a brain, barely. Need more if you are going to make and sell cars today.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
If GM had half a brain, the mid engine Vette would be a Caddy!
Wait I keep forgetting ..I should have said it correctly, then it makes perfect sense.
If Chevy had half a brain, the mid engine Vette would be a Pontiac..I mean Chevy.

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
As absurd as taking a TourX to an X-Cross is getting ¼ mile time numbers.
Wednesday at NEWD newenglanddragway | Wednesday Street Night
I was out of place with my TourX.

They have changed the rules considerably for 2008 cars and newer to allow fast tuned daily drivers to run.
Certified Cage only required for cars running under 10 seconds and or+140 mph.
Slicks are allowed for test and tune only, No side by side racing on Wednesday with slicks.

To put things in perspective., there were at least ½ dozen typically old, well off gentlemen with their tuned Audi , AMG, & BMW sedans running low eleven second ¼ miles trapping over 125 MPH. There was also a pair of Caddies that ran the same or better, with ice coolers in the trunk for their inter-coolers.

A fellow with an RS7 showed me video of a timed 1-1/2 mile run at lta-lsr
He trapped at 192mph, One mile speed was 173 MPH in a luxury sedan.

Also a 700 WHP very nice WRX that did not look or sound the part, but went like 10 seconds, and 860 RWHP Charger Hell Kitty former Hendricks racing toy that was sandbagging to keep it under 10 seconds . (He accidentally trapped at 143 mph & was shut down for night and let off with a warning.)

Older “muscle cars” were few, but there were a lot of old very tattered looking Honda's and Mitsubishi’s . etc that were well into the 12’s.
A turbo C4 Vette ran high eights at +150’s, but most corvettes , Mustangs and truck were relatively slow.

But everything was faster than my TourX, even a 2.0L LGT Camaro. I managed to hold off a Honda Civic type R of the 1/8 mile.

Conditions:
The Pb was 29.93” Hg. Ambient temp was from 62 to 55F, so DA was about 1.01
I forgot get a race weight, darn it.
I was carrying at least 100 lbs of tools, road travel & safety gear, Doggy gear &, heavy rubber double mats everywhere stuff from shopping I left in the car.etc.
I should have cleaned out the car. I’m also 240 lbs plus. 2/3 to ¾ tank of 60% Shell 93, 40% 87 Octane.

Car GVWR is 4894 Lbs, Capacity is 944 Lbs, so my TourX weighs 3950 lbs. plus driver & stuff works out to be about 4,300 lbs.
It's hard to go fast with just 250 HP at best.

Here is what I learned:
It's hard to go fast with just 250 HP at best pushing plus two tons.
Engine Management does don’t want you to spool up the turbo and brake torque.
If you try to launch at 2000 RPM , Tour X will be soft of line. Launch at idle did not work well either.
So Flash the converted when tree starts to move to 1500-1800 RPM and just go.

At least in my car it would shift into 4th gear early , like before 5600 RPM
I learned late that you let it shift into 2nd by itself but use manual mode to do the 2-3 & 3-4 shift at about 6100 RPM. Engine rev limiter on mine is 6,300 rpm

I think the magazine test data seems optimistic I say my Tour X is a 15 second 94 MPH car best conditions.

Trifecta tune will happen, but I’ll try to wait till next spring.
A bit more power & transmission tune needs a good tweaking.

I am doubtful if my TourX could run 14 flat, 100 mph with a tune. But another 30-40 hp would sure help.
We will see next year, God willing.
I’ll bring it back on topic a little. 15.0 isn’t bad for that car. Honestly I’d be shocked if my 2016 Regal AWD did even that. Keep playing with your launch and shift points and you’ll probably knock a tenth or 2 off. Keep in mind too that the magazine times you see are corrected times. These engines don’t seem to be tuned for performance at all and really do beg for a tune. I’m hoping I can fight that urge but I’ve never driven a car stock for long.

Pedal Commander