• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

H&R Springs for Buick Regal now available in North America

Rk54Strat

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
TourX
So for someone who is mechanically capable though has no experience changing a set of springs what actually is involved in the process and what would also be need besides the new springs ?

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Their distributor here in Ontario Canada is a very professional-looking racing car service shop lol, I wonder what the total cost would be to buy and install the set

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
When I changed struts on our Maxima I replaced the complete struts assembly. That can be done with hand tools and didn't require an alignment since it was a stock replacement.

Changing springs on a strut is a completely different animal. I wouldn't dream of disassembling a strut since I don't have the necessary tools. If I was going to do it myself I would remove the struts, then take them to a shop to have the assembly compressed, disassembled, springs changed, assembly recompressed and reassembled with the correct torque settings. Then back home to reinstall the strut assemblies and off to the alignment shop.

RedX

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal TourX
Its easy.

Buy spring compressors, compress spring, losen generally 17 to 19mm nut on top of strut, remove top hat and old spring, replace with new spring a replace top hat. May have to trim bump stops. Then re assemble.

Torque properly. Reinstall.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Easy in writing. I’ve seen springs slip off compressors and shoot through windows or bounce all over a shop.

I pay shops for strut assembly.

RedX

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal TourX
Easy in writing. I’ve seen springs slip off compressors and shoot through windows or bounce all over a shop.

I pay shops for strut assembly.
I've heard that old wives tale so many times but any competent person can do it. Slowly back nut off strut, don't just blast it free and you will be fine.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I've heard that old wives tale so many times but any competent person can do it. Slowly back nut off strut, don't just blast it free and you will be fine.
No thanks, guy. And don’t blast the competence of techs who deal with this nonsense on a daily basis. Lots of people read these forums so giving the “any old shade tree guy with kmart tools can do it” vibe is misleading.

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
View attachment 30194

I've been watching the H&R Springs NA site for a while, waiting for word after contacting a local distributor about ordering some for the Insignia GSi. I don't have the other part numbers in front of me for comparison, but they look similar.
I admit I have no idea about springs in general. Are these supposed to lower the car or improve ride/handling/cornering?

adam728

Buick Ownership
Buick
I admit I have no idea about springs in general. Are these supposed to lower the car or improve ride/handling/cornering?
According to the link they lower the car 1.2 inches front and rear. I assume that comes with improved handling as well.

As for changing springs - it's like many other automotive tasks. There are some risks and dangers, and if it's outside of one's comfort zone, then pay someone to do it. I mean, simply jacking a car up to change a tire can be deadly dangerous. As can improperly using spring compressors.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Depends on the application. But in general springs for cars are usually designed to lower the car. But since they are shorter the spring rate is higher. This lower center of gravity helps with handling and to a point so does increasing the spring rate. Both will be problematic at the extreme unless you are only on a track. But also speaking generally, these will not improve the ride though this one is more subjective. Often cars that were not designed for and even many that did come with stiff springs will ride pretty rough. I doubt they went too stiff with these but sometimes it also causes issues with the dampers because they are not valved to deal with the extra force of the spring. But in general this type of spring will tighten things up a little but not too much. For most people it will be a good compromise.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Apart from the topics of handling and performance, any one know if these kind of stuff can mess with the electronics in the car? I know there's a position sensor for the suspension for the adaptive damper and it looks possible to me that a different spring may trick the system into thinking it's not working properly.

grizzx

Buick Newbie
Wisconsin
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I checked in with my local distributor and H&R doesn't have any availability on the springs for the GS. I'm going to try and follow up with H&R directly to see when they might have some in stock.

Greyfixer

Back in 2000 when I lowered my Civic, I was able to rent a spring compressor from Autozone. I don’t know if they still do that.

Edit: yup.

Last edited:

bhleroy

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Tourx
Their distributor here in Ontario Canada is a very professional-looking racing car service shop lol, I wonder what the total cost would be to buy and install the set
A year ago, I paid ~US$300 including shipping and VAT. My local mechanic charged me 2.5 hrs labor to install. You'll also need an alignment. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Get your turbo buick badge right here!