• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Halogen Headlight upgrades; LED swap?

Tdwpgtp

Buick Ownership
Tourx
Our Tourx has the halogen lights, which are pretty disappointing, especially at highway speeds. Is it possible to upgrade to the LED headlights easily? Does anyone know what the differences in the systems are? Housing, driver, bulbs, controller, etc? Does anyone know where parts could be purchased? I figure finding a wrecked one being parted out would probably be the best choice at this point, if swapping the parts isn't too hard.

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
The thing that may make that difficult is the auto level functions. Also the OEM led option has cornering lights and adaptive lighting. That is routed through the vehicle options on the infotainment ctr. Not sure how you'd be able to add that aftermarket. I would try to replace the halogen bulbs with aftermarket led bulbs. Easy cheap modification that get you most of the way to better night visibility.

Tdwpgtp

Buick Ownership
Tourx
While I admit that I do not have any personal experience with the most recent bunch of aftermarket LED bulbs, I am hesitant to simply switch the halogens out for another bulb type. It often provides poor beam pattern and often glare. If anyone has any specific experience otherwise for LED bulbs in our cars, my mind is open.

Would it be possible to swap over the OEM LEDs and required hardware, but omit the auto leveling and other adaptive features?

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
I installed Ebay LED bulbs in my wife's Regal and she said they light up the road so much better than the halogen bulbs. She said oncoming cars don't ever flash her with their bright lights, so evidently the LED bulbs project the correct beam pattern.

Tdwpgtp

Buick Ownership
Tourx
I installed Ebay LED bulbs in my wife's Regal and she said they light up the road so much better than the halogen bulbs. She said oncoming cars don't ever flash her with their bright lights, so evidently the LED bulbs project the correct beam pattern.
Which ones did you buy?

LOGO

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I just swapped mine over because the H7 halogens were absolutely terrible!

My Audi has LED's from the factory and it has spoiled me.

Here's the ones I went with and the other day it said they were out of stock, but as of now it looks like they're back in stock:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074GZBPRW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Made a HUGE difference....

I haven't done the high beams or the fogs yet but for now the cart is at least able to be driven at night, where before it wasn't.

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
FWIW I've installed Simdevanma brand LED lightbulbs in multiple vehicles over the past 3-4yrs. It now appears like they have a spinoff brand Lasfit on amazon(as well as the old branding). Installed in: 2003 Honda Odyssey, 2012 Prius V, 2011 Sienna, 2009 Ford Escape, 1999 volvo v70.

Simdevanma Direct @ Amazon.com: Simdevanma

Overall I think they are a pretty good upgrade for the cost($30-50 per pair)..I can most distinctly see a difference in range(esp high beams) but also in clarity. The white light really makes the road paint "pop" out at you in distinction...likewise with reflective road signs. Out of all these they are all still working with exception of one bulb which failed early(within 1 mth)-- I contacted mfr and they sent me replacement free of charge.

My experience mirrors what has been said by another poster-- they do work best in the projector beam headlights. With the Toyotas(projector beam) I noticed the biggest improvement over stock--although I do recommend for all--the difference was less noticeable in the Ford and Honda that have 1 Bulb for both Hi/Lo beam. The Volvo has separate beams for hi/low so it was better than the Ford, but not quite as good as the projectors.

In a couple years now I have only been flashed 2x..both in the ford...I don't think the spread is quite as good as the stock halogens..but increased brightness and "white" clarity make up for it and then some.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800 (1991 Cadillac Fleetwood coupe 4.9 & 1990 Lincoln LSC SE 5.0 HO)
LED lights are horrid looking and truly blinding for oncoming drivers. Look for Sylvania zXe which are the best halogen headlamps one can buy. I believe these are the right ones for the TourX: https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-SilverStar-Performance-Headlight-Contains/dp/B079ZCG8M2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sylvania+zxe+h7&qid=1572747549&sr=8-1&th=1

With the zXe I've even once or twice over 10k miles had people in oncoming lanes highbeam flash me because they thought my highbeams were on. Guess they were surprised when I flashed them back with the actual highbeams. Now they have zXe Gold which I suppose are probably even better.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
You don't know what you are talking about, Silverstar bulbs are lame. The LED bulbs I put in my wife's Regal are great. They look good and are so much brighter, plus nobody EVER flashes their bright lights at her. My son put them in his 2015 Impala and he loves them too.

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
LED lights are horrid looking and truly blinding for oncoming drivers. Look for Sylvania zXe which are the best halogen headlamps one can buy. I believe these are the right ones for the TourX: https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-SilverStar-Performance-Headlight-Contains/dp/B079ZCG8M2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sylvania+zxe+h7&qid=1572747549&sr=8-1&th=1

With the zXe I've even once or twice over 10k miles had people in oncoming lanes highbeam flash me because they thought my highbeams were on. Guess they were surprised when I flashed them back with the actual highbeams. Now they have zXe Gold which I suppose are probably even better.
Well I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion...

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800 (1991 Cadillac Fleetwood coupe 4.9 & 1990 Lincoln LSC SE 5.0 HO)
You don't know what you are talking about, Silverstar bulbs are lame. The LED bulbs I put in my wife's Regal are great. They look good and are so much brighter, plus nobody EVER flashes their bright lights at her. My son put them in his 2015 Impala and he loves them too.
Yes, basic Silverstars are trash but zXe are not. They are literally the best halogen headlights available. If you want made in China LEDs in your car that's on you but it's not unheard of for random electrical issues to pop up as a result.
The guy has a 1993 Regal with horrible headlights. No wonder he doesn't like the LED bulbs.
Right, "horrible." I would take glass assemblies over plastic ones any day and have been nothing but happy with zXe bulbs. And at least I drive a Buick with what is considered the best motor ever made.. your car is a rebadged Opel. I bought exactly what I wanted and went through a great deal of trouble to find it.

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
Yes, basic Silverstars are trash but zXe are not. They are literally the best halogen headlights available. If you want made in China LEDs in your car that's on you but it's not unheard of for random electrical issues to pop up as a result.

Right, "horrible." I would take glass assemblies over plastic ones any day and have been nothing but happy with zXe bulbs. And at least I drive a Buick with what is considered the best motor ever made.. your car is a rebadged Opel. I bought exactly what I wanted and went through a great deal of trouble to find it.
The old my car is better than your car routine? Why the f are you even here...you obviouly don't have a Buick from this century...

The fact you drive a 25yo Regal totally changed everything for me...thanks for the entertainment. Now excuse me while I go back to the adults who are trying to have a mature conversation.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
My car wasn't built by Opel, it was built in North America by GM. Obviously your car doesn't have the best Buick motor since my little turbo four puts out 300 hp to your 200 hp. Regardless of what you say halogen bulbs are crap, no matter what they call them or how much they cost. Not only that, they cost more than the LED bulbs.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
My car wasn't built by Opel, it was built in North America by GM. Obviously your car doesn't have the best Buick motor since my little turbo four puts out 300 hp to your 200 hp. Regardless of what you say halogen bulbs are crap, no matter what they call them or how much they cost. Not only that, they cost more than the LED bulbs.
Regardless of who built it, it's an Opel. Moreover the greatness of an engine is not measured in horsepower but rather several factors including reliability, longevity, ease of maintenance etc. Mine doesn't even put out 200 horsepower; if I wanted that I would have got a Series II 3800 which I have owned already and went back to the Series I because I preferred it exactly because it has less power to harm itself. Some of the things I'm reading around here regarding issues that I'll never have such as turbos already blowing up, rotting wiring, and batteries dying in nearly brand new cars doesn't give me much confidence in what the brand is doing nowadays. Mine will likely still be on the road when some of these newer ones are being taken off. The 3800 is found on Ward's Best Engines of the 20th Century list for a reason.
The old my car is better than your car routine? Why the f are you even here...you obviouly don't have a Buick from this century...

The fact you drive a 25yo Regal totally changed everything for me...thanks for the entertainment. Now excuse me while I go back to the adults who are trying to have a mature conversation.
The OP's car has halogen headlights and I suggested the best halogens available, based on my own experience of using them in several vehicles, at what is a far more reasonable price than generally putting in LEDs for up to $1500 as someone else noted using OEM parts. The age of my car is irrelevant. I've owned several newer cars, including those of "this century," and when looking for another Buick bought exactly what I wanted. Nothing that will be said will make me regret buying a fully loaded Series I 3800 coupe vehicle that will outlast anything being put out by "Buick" nowadays. You are clearly the immature ones here for even bringing up and continuing on with such childish irrelevance. There is well over 100 years of automotive history available out there and one should be free to buy whatever suits them in style, mechanically, technologically, or whatever regardless of a vehicle's age rather than thinking "newer is better" and perpetuating a throwaway and consumerist culture.

IMG_2646.JPG
IMG_2650.JPG
IMG_2651.JPG

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Opel stopped making the Regal in 2013 and I have a 2014 model which was produced TOTALLY by GM. My motor is easy to maintain and is very reliable even with a performance tune. You really need to find out the facts before you start posting incorrect information here.

By the way, what's up with your wrinkled leather seats?????? Mine don't look like that!

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
Pedal Commander