• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Halogen Headlight upgrades; LED swap?

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Here is the difference. I'll drive around the block tonight, to see if people are going to get blinded by LEDs. If not, will give them a shot for a while.
But it looks like they are going to be too bright.

20191110_130716.jpg20191110_134919.jpg

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
They will be fine, my wife and son both have LED bulbs in their cars.
I hope so...there are ones with the built in fan...but I just don't understand how fan is going to help with the heat management...it just circulates the hot air inside the closed enclosure... the ones I've got have no fans...Did you get one with or without fans?

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Theirs have fans. Which I don't feel is necessary since LED's are much cooler than halogens and those don't have a fan either.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Ok that seems logical, but the 120 volt LED light bulbs I installed in my home don't have a fan or a heatsink and they have 10 times the voltage.

Tdwpgtp

Buick Ownership
Tourx
Ok that seems logical, but the 120 volt LED light bulbs I installed in my home don't have a fan or a heatsink and they have 10 times the voltage.
It's not the voltage that matters as much as the wattage. Headlight LEDs consume 55ish watts while those led light bulb for your house are like 10. The diodes used in the headlights are much more powerful than the light bulb diodes

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
That's the kicker, more voltage, less current on the same wattage and vise versa

Tdwpgtp

Buick Ownership
Tourx
Ahhh that makes sense now. I know very little about electricity except that it can kill me.
Those led light bulbs can even get too hot to touch at the base sometimes. The translucent plastic cover stays just about room temp, but the plastic around the base gets hot.

And I can't blame you, electricity isn't something that everyone fully understands because there's no practical reason for everyone to know fully. I don't claim to know all about it, either, but I do tinker with electronics and have taken circuits in college.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I hope so...there are ones with the built in fan...but I just don't understand how fan is going to help with the heat management...it just circulates the hot air inside the closed enclosure... the ones I've got have no fans...Did you get one with or without fans?
I put 7 hours a day for over 30 days and never had a problem. The fans can get a little nosey with a soft hum.

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I put 7 hours a day for over 30 days and never had a problem. The fans can get a little nosey with a soft hum.
I almost want to put them on the test bench at work and measure the temp)

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Alright, quick update here. I wasn't impressed with them. Feels like the beam width got narrower and length shorter.
Pictures do exaggerate an output, but I think next try for me would be halogen bulbs (extraversion or similar). No one was flashing high beams, so I think, it is not blinding oncoming drivers.
As far as heat exchange goes, the light bulbs' bases were cold enough, so I could touch them after 15-20 minutes being on.
Low beam
20191110_175640.jpg
Low beam plus LED fog lights
20191110_175633.jpg
Low beam
20191110_180315.jpg
Low beam +fog lights
20191110_180322.jpg

Last edited:

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
It looks like they light up the road ok to me, they have a nice bright white light output. Without changing your headlight assemblies to projector lenses you won't see much improvement with any bulbs, even HID's.

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
It looks like they light up the road ok to me, they have a nice bright white light output. Without changing your headlight assemblies to projector lenses you won't see much improvement with any bulbs, even HID's.
Like I said, pictures do exaggerate, but I feel like they are producing less lumens and beam is not reflecting right from the reflector.

Last edited:

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
I have factory HID's in my Regal and I feel the LED bulbs in my wife's Regal light up the road just as well as my HID's. I don't think you will get any more light output from Xtravision halogen bulbs because they aren't any brighter they are just whiter like the LED bulbs.

Pedal Commander