• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Happy with your purchase?

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Just came back from my first long TourX road trip Florida to North Carolina. While not as well composed on gravel roads near my cabin in NC as my past Forester the TourX is so much better in every other way than the Subi was. This car eats up both winding roads and long highway stretches and gets 30+ mpg. There's a few missing features that they should have offered that would make it even better but I'm very happy with mine, I want a second one. I didn't see another one the whole trip.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Just came back from my first long TourX road trip Florida to North Carolina. While not as well composed on gravel roads near my cabin in NC as my past Forester the TourX is so much better in every other way than the Subi was. This car eats up both winding roads and long highway stretches and gets 30+ mpg. There's a few missing features that they should have offered that would make it even better but I'm very happy with mine, I want a second one. I didn't see another one the whole trip.
"While not as well composed on gravel roads..... as my past Forester."
I have a 14 Forester 6MT Premium.
I honestly think the TourX GKN AWD is superior to the Forester.
Certainly the Buick crashes through the bumps and dips with less suspension travel and low ground clearance, so you have to go real slow on poorly maintained roads. Unmaintained roads and trails, the TourX would be way out of it's element, a no go.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
"While not as well composed on gravel roads..... as my past Forester."
I have a 14 Forester 6MT Premium.
I honestly think the TourX GKN AWD is superior to the Forester.
Certainly the Buick crashes through the bumps and dips with less suspension travel and low ground clearance, so you have to go real slow on poorly maintained roads. Unmaintained roads and trails, the TourX would be way out of it's element, a no go.
The AWD on the TourX is fine, that wasn't an issue, I was never in fear of getting stuck. Nor was lack of ground clearance a problem. But roughish maintained gravel roads and TourX suspension don't get along as well as the Forester did, I didn't expect it would do great but even at slow speed it feels like the 2 fillings I do have might fall out.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
The AWD on the TourX is fine, that wasn't an issue, I was never in fear of getting stuck. Nor was lack of ground clearance a problem. But roughish maintained gravel roads and TourX suspension don't get along as well as the Forester did, I didn't expect it would do great but even at slow speed it feels like the 2 fillings I do have might fall out.
Agree, I don't think the TourX would be good for a stand in a a "Dukes of Hazzard" movie.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
The only concern I have is that the TourX hood and front doors are the only major body parts share with the still rare Buick Regal. Chatter on the internet seems to indicate getting Body replacement parts is not easy or reasonably priced.

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
It is a part of driver's confidence package. I have an essence with no heated mirrors.
Edited: According to the Buick web site it is standard for preferred and essence, but I still don't have one.
1565810127466.png

Last edited:

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
The only concern I have is that the TourX hood and front doors are the only major body parts share with the still rare Buick Regal. Chatter on the internet seems to indicate getting Body replacement parts is not easy or reasonably priced.
Plenty of TourX parts at car-part.com

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Also, looks like hands free liftgate is a standard for an essence trim, but I don't have a hands free part of it.
1565810436207.png

Pathy01

I was not happy with many things about my TourX, mainly the overall build quality and attention to detail, so I traded mine in before hitting 5k miles. On the surface it's a great vehicle, and if you've never owned something not from the Big 3, it may live up to or exceed your expectations, but for me, living with it I just found too many things not up to snuff. I made the decision to give up the extra space and go back to a VW, albeit a Golf R this time rather than GTI like I had before the TourX. The R impresses me everyday while the TourX disappointed me almost everyday. If they sold the Golf R Variant (wagon) in the US, that would be perfect, but I'd rather give up the space than give up on enjoying my car.

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I was not happy with many things about my TourX, mainly the overall build quality and attention to detail, so I traded mine in before hitting 5k miles. On the surface it's a great vehicle, and if you've never owned something not from the Big 3, it may live up to or exceed your expectations, but for me, living with it I just found too many things not up to snuff. I made the decision to give up the extra space and go back to a VW, albeit a Golf R this time rather than GTI like I had before the TourX. The R impresses me everyday while the TourX disappointed me almost everyday. If they sold the Golf R Variant (wagon) in the US, that would be perfect, but I'd rather give up the space than give up on enjoying my car.
Wow, that's different. Me too coming from VW ownership, don't have a lot of things to complain about.
What were the things you didn't like? Would be interesting to see for people considering TourX.

Red_X

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I was not happy with many things about my TourX, mainly the overall build quality and attention to detail
That's the only real disappointment I have with mine. There's a little sloppiness near the driver's side of the cowl where some foam is sticking out. That, and overall, the interior feels a little too American for a German-made car. But this being a GM machine, I guess I really shouldn't be surprised.

fng

Delaware Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
I came to the Regal Sportback from a '14 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI. The VW was great for fuel economy, until they had to buy it back because they cheated on the emissions certification.

What the Regal cannot do is deliver on the marketing department's hype. The last time I checked, there wasn't even a repair manual available; the owners' manual sucks; the interior materials are mediocre at best; and the dealers are all too often clueless. Buicks are apparently "near luxury" only in their marketing pitches.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Color me happy with sub 15 sec quarter mile times, sub 7 sec 0-60, torque vectoring my way around a cloverleaf style on-ramp, being able to carry 4 in comfort, and 40 cubic ft of cargo room. I can get 30 mpg on the highway and get mid 20s around town. The only thing that would make me happier is that if it was a true sportswagen and not in Subaru drag in a sad attempt to pretend to be an "rugged" machine.

My only fear is that in 6 or 7 years when I want to buy again the world will be a sea of amorphous CUV blobs and pickup trucks if you've got anything less than S-class money.

Pathy01

Wow, that's different. Me too coming from VW ownership, don't have a lot of things to complain about.
What were the things you didn't like? Would be interesting to see for people considering TourX.
Some of the things that bothered me were:
  • Misalignment of dashboard to door panels. Don't create a design has a continuous flow across panels if your assembly quality results in things not lining up.
  • Engine vibration at idle, felt though seats and steering wheel, visible shaking of rearview mirror. I was told by 3 dealerships in 2 states that this is just a characteristic of the 4 cylinder engine. Strangely, I've had other 2.0T engines in multiple VW and BMW cars with no such vibrations.
  • HVAC system noise and performance. My car made a very audible whirring noise when HVAC system was on, engine speed sensitive, stopped as soon as climate control turned off. Car also did not cool off very well and turned out was overcharged from factory. Took multiple dealer visits to get system actually checked and properly charged, still makes the noise which "isn't bad enough" to require any attempt to diagnose or fix. The noise was very annoying and heard all the time when under 45 mph and then the engine, road and wind noise masked it a bit.
  • Transmission performance mediocre at best, particularly in mid range. It's ok at light throttle or heavy throttle, but in between it seems to get confused too often.
  • Engine makes no pleasant noises, simply not enjoyable to hear it rev and it's not particularly responsive. Probably just as much the trans when it comes to throttle response.
  • Car made groaning noises at low speeds after making rest stops during fully loaded 1300 mile road trip. Didn't cause any troubles, but not confidence inspiring in the quality of the car.
  • Seats not very supportive, and leather quality is deplorable.
  • Paint had imperfection in and under the clear coat, including a couple pin holes on the hatch.
  • Black trim not adhered completely in a couple places. Fixed myself with 3M automotive mounting tape rather than make another trip to dealer.
  • Ride/handling balance is very mediocre. Car is not very smooth over rough roads and is still floaty through turns and over undulations.
  • Onstar traffic service created to extract a monthly fee to get traffic data I already get with my Sirius subscription.
  • Slow to respond touchscreen with a lot of wasted space and minimal information available for display. Screen between gauges mitigates lack of info screens somewhat, but still disappointing for the brand new system ('19 white needle car).
  • Cargo cover design very cheap, fit is not tight causing rattling on occasion and when storing under floor, it just misses being able to fit without slightly bumping up the floor. Also the underfloor area has roughly painted areas that scrape.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I think GM/Buick are crazy trying to say this vehicle is near luxury and trying to sell it at 40k is a non starter for me. I would have had a Sportwagen or an alltrack in my garage if they were a bit bigger. VW really benefits from being the cheap brand in the portfolio. So much tech trickles down, plus the economies of scale really start kicking in. Their interiors are so much better, not just to look at but also to interact with, things just feel higher quality. But with that said, for 30k it is hard to pass up on what the TourX offers. Regardless of whether I went VW or Buick there were going to be upgrades made, I just wish we had more aftermarket. That is my biggest gripe right now.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Some of the things that bothered me were:
  • Misalignment of dashboard to door panels. Don't create a design has a continuous flow across panels if your assembly quality results in things not lining up.
Mine is pretty good, not perfect. I'd never have noticed, except for comments in forum.
  • Engine vibration at idle, felt though seats and steering wheel, visible shaking of rearview mirror. I was told by 3 dealerships in 2 states that this is just a characteristic of the 4 cylinder engine. Strangely, I've had other 2.0T engines in multiple VW and BMW cars with no such vibrations.
I think the engine is smooth running. This is from a guy very apt to notice.
  • HVAC system noise and performance. My car made a very audible whirring noise when HVAC system was on, engine speed sensitive, stopped as soon as climate control turned off. Car also did not cool off very well and turned out was overcharged from factory. Took multiple dealer visits to get system actually checked and properly charged, still makes the noise which "isn't bad enough" to require any attempt to diagnose or fix. The noise was very annoying and heard all the time when under 45 mph and then the engine, road and wind noise masked it a bit.
I set the climate control, when new and don't touch it
Except for exuberant fan speed sometimes, I think it's great.
  • Transmission performance mediocre at best, particularly in mid range. It's ok at light throttle or heavy throttle, but in between it seems to get confused too often.
I only noticed this in traffic, which I lucky can usually avoid. Agree, there are a lot better cut and thrust type city cars.
  • Engine makes no pleasant noises, simply not enjoyable to hear it rev and it's not particularly responsive. Probably just as much the trans when it comes to throttle response.
At least it is not irritating!
  • Car made groaning noises at low speeds after making rest stops during fully loaded 1300 mile road trip. Didn't cause any troubles, but not confidence inspiring in the quality of the car.
Lower control arm bushings? That stuff makes me wonder?
  • Seats not very supportive, and leather quality is deplorable.
Seats fit my body shape real well. I'm 1/2 German! Nappa leather its not, Thank you GM , we noticed.
  • Paint had imperfection in and under the clear coat, including a couple pin holes on the hatch.
I found one minor defect on my $995 extra cost paint job, Other than that the paint is visually excellent to me. Really, $995?
  • Black trim not adhered completely in a couple places. Fixed myself with 3M automotive mounting tape rather than make another trip to dealer.
No issues here. I've checked my car closely.
  • Ride/handling balance is very mediocre.
Overall I respectfully disagree.
  • Car is not very smooth over rough roads and is still floaty through turns and over undulations.
Correct, except I think it corners well given it's role in life. It does not like gravel roads at speed.
  • Onstar traffic service created to extract a monthly fee to get traffic data I already get with my Sirius subscription.
So?

• Slow to respond touchscreen with a lot of wasted space and minimal information available for display. Screen between gauges mitigates lack of info screens somewhat, but still disappointing for the brand new system ('19 white needle car).
I think it compares ok to 2018 Ford Syc3 and the Toyota INfotainment screens, (Rav4 & Sienna)
  • Cargo cover design very cheap, fit is not tight causing rattling on occasion and when storing under floor, it just misses being able to fit without slightly bumping up the floor. Also the underfloor area has roughly painted areas that scrape.
GM , need I explain?
Seem my comments above. Considering my TourX was the same cost as my Forrester, it is way, way more car.

jclin4

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I owned a 2001 Passat FWD V6 wagon and happily drove it for 8-9 years. I consider the TourX to be an up to date, comparable wagon.

The amount I paid for the VW is >$40k in today’s dollars; I got my 2019 Essence for way less 👍

I’m pleased with the TourX handling, but granted it is not a Golf R, which is a whole other animal.