• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Hard transmission shifts

cterrell73

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
06' Buick Lucerne
Hello fellow Lucerne owners, I was wondering if anybody has ran across this issue with their Lucerne. During a long periods of stop and go traffic, my car starts to have very hard transmission shifts. This happens on all shifts from 1 - 4 gear and it feels like the car is slamming into gear. Now this happens until the car is shut off and sits for about 30 minutes. After that the transmission shifts are back to normal.

I'm taking my car in for an oil change this weekend and just wanted to get some info and references on possible known issues with the transmission.

Thanks.

polarzak

Buick Ownership
Ex-Lucerne Owner, Now loving two Chrysler 300s.
Well, I am no GM Service person, but sounds like the transmission might be over heating. First, check the fluid level..leaks are rare but not unknown.

The 4T65E transmission in your car is a very reliable transmission with very few issues. There are several GM bulletins regarding two common problems.

#06-07-30-023C...Shudder on Acceleration
#PIP4188 Delayed Shifts Harsh Engagement

The latter might be your issue. If that is the case there is metal debris in the pan. In either case with those two bulletins, the transmission must be disassembled for repair.

BUT, check fluid level first.

Tricia...you should know this stuff.

cterrell73

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
06' Buick Lucerne
Thanks for the info polarzak.

I took my car in for an oil change and tire rotation to the quick lube center at the dealership, so all the fluid levels should have been checked, but I will take a look myself just to be sure. I will have to make an appointment for the main service area for them to look at the transmission though. I'm still under my extended warranty so I will be making an appointment soon.

rdanville

Raleigh, NC CSA
Buick Ownership
2006 Buick LaCrosse 3800
Thanks for the info polarzak.

I took my car in for an oil change and tire rotation to the quick lube center at the dealership, so all the fluid levels should have been checked, but I will take a look myself just to be sure. I will have to make an appointment for the main service area for them to look at the transmission though. I'm still under my extended warranty so I will be making an appointment soon.
Did you ever get another opinion?

cterrell73

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
06' Buick Lucerne
Drop the car off this morning so they can take a look at the transmission and also an annoying rattling that seems to be coming from the dash. But of course when I dropped the car off, I had the service person listen for the rattle and we couldn't hear anything. Hopefully after it sits for a while they will hear it.

cterrell73

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
06' Buick Lucerne
Looks like the dealer did find an issue with the transmission and it is covered under my extended warranty. They have to keep the car overnight I guess to get the part ordered. I have to go to the dealer to pick up a rental and I will get the particulars on what part needed to be replaced and let everyone know.

Oh yea, they wanted to charge me $345 to continue looking for the rattling noise coming from the dash. I guess they would have to take the dash apart. So for now I will just live with that rattling noise.

cterrell73

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
06' Buick Lucerne
Got the car back....This is from the paperwork for the repair.

"Advise found P01811 for pressure control solenoid, replaced pressure sensor control solenoid and reset shifter"

There were two parts that were ordered.
1. FP# 24225825 (valve sol 4.265)
2. FP# 24206959 (Gasket kit 4.217)

Not sure if P01811 is a bulletin number or not.

farscape1

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Im having the same issue. Was out driving today and pulled over for awhile with car still running and when i started driving again the car started shifting really hard.
Even the engine light came on. Going to Autozone to get that scanned to see what code comes up. I dont have any warranty on the car so i hope its this pressure control solenoid and that it dont run me much.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Im having the same issue. Was out driving today and pulled over for awhile with car still running and when i started driving again the car started shifting really hard.
Even the engine light came on. Going to Autozone to get that scanned to see what code comes up. I dont have any warranty on the car so i hope its this pressure control solenoid and that it dont run me much.
Harsh Shift, P1811

farscape1

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
ok i got the codes from Auto Zone. Its P0717 and P0716

P0717 is Turbine/Input Shaft Speed Sensor Circuit No Signal
P0716 is Turbine/Input Shaft Speed Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

Just drove the car and of course runs fine. Checked tranny fluid but honestly not sure how long you drive car to check that but drove 5 mins and fluid seems to be on low side. Just a tad below min. on the dip stick.
Kinda afraid to add to it as worried i might over fill it.

So any words of wisdom on this issue anyone?

farscape1

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Well ive learned my lesson. Went to the dealership where i bought my car years ago and for $90 they came back to me and said yes my problem is what i new it was, the Transmission Input Speed sensor.
They say they found high resistance in the sensor. Guess that means it going bad or bad.
But to fix that they say they have to tear apart half of the transmission to get to the sensor and that would cost along with Transmission flush $1081.20

To me thats a hell of alot of money to just fix a sensor. So calling some Transmission places around my area hoping to get a better deal.

Last edited:

teboyle1216

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Well, I am no GM Service person, but sounds like the transmission might be over heating. First, check the fluid level..leaks are rare but not unknown.

The 4T65E transmission in your car is a very reliable transmission with very few issues. There are several GM bulletins regarding two common problems.

#06-07-30-023C...Shudder on Acceleration
#PIP4188 Delayed Shifts Harsh Engagement

The latter might be your issue. If that is the case there is metal debris in the pan. In either case with those two bulletins, the transmission must be disassembled for repair.

BUT, check fluid level first.

Tricia...you should know this stuff.
As a former transmission rebuilder and manager of AAMCO, no one mentions the fact that these particles in the pan might be lodging in the 3 - 1 or 3 - 2 downshift valve in the valve body.
Even though I have not touched a transmission since 1980, i have to believe they still have valve bodies. Is that right? Terry B.

teboyle1216

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Well, I just had an epiphany! Service Traction Control message; ABS Icon lights up; Traction Control Icon lights up; Message to "Check Left Rear Tire Pressure". Engine hesitates , when Traction Control Icon lights up, ok when off. Problem solved! Had two tire pressure sensors changed, all
problems went away, including engine hesitation! Go figure! Must have screwed the computer up a bit, but never had a code stored (I have OBD II reader). Mechanic 17 years, owned shop, managed Aamco 4 years. We used to put a small magnet in the transmission pan near the filter to collect any metal paticles floating around. Total cost for two sensors, $258.00. Terry B.

Smileyinin

Well, I just had an epiphany! Service Traction Control message; ABS Icon lights up; Traction Control Icon lights up; Message to "Check Left Rear Tire Pressure". Engine hesitates , when Traction Control Icon lights up, ok when off. Problem solved! Had two tire pressure sensors changed, all
problems went away, including engine hesitation! Go figure! Must have screwed the computer up a bit, but never had a code stored (I have OBD II reader). Mechanic 17 years, owned shop, managed Aamco 4 years. We used to put a small magnet in the transmission pan near the filter to collect any metal paticles floating around. Total cost for two sensors, $258.00. Terry B.
So I am having this problem with hard shifting we will try changing trany fluid and put in a magnet hope it works