• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Hardwire Radar Detector

DSB

SE MI
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I just got a Valentine One Gen 2 and want to hardwire it to the fuse panel using a fuse tap. Has anyone else already done this? I'm just wondering which fuse you tapped into and where you grounded out the wire. I've tried F37 "Auxiliary power outlet/Cigar lighter" and F42 "Radio" and attached the ground to a bolts on the right of the panel (circled in red) that appear to go to the dash support, but no luck. The micro2 fuse tap connects to the V1's red wire, I plug it into the fuse slot and replug the existing fuse into the fuse tap.

Inked20200610_184407_LI.jpg

Waldo1967

Indiana
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Sportback Preferred II
I've been looking at Dash Cams myself. They have an adapter to the OBD port so parking mode won't drain the battery. Not sure if there's a way to do the same w/ a radar detector. I know little to nothing about car wiring. But I thought it was still worth mentioning.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Here's an option for you....

DSB

SE MI
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Thanks for the info on the OBD2 and the mirror tap. I saw both of those, but went with the fuse panel option because it was cheaper than the OBD2 adapter and I didn't want to have to take apart pieces of my trim. Has anyone successfully tapped into the fuse panel on a Tourx?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I would tell you what I did for my dashcam but mine is currently disconnected since I think it is pulling my battery down. Not sure if it is the way the car or the device that is supposed to switch the power off based on battery voltage.

Ultra Ego

St. Paul, MN
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra, 2003 LeSabre Limited; Previous: 2003 LeSabre Custom; 1998 Park Avenue

DSB

SE MI
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Ok, I figured it out: The fuse tap needs to have fuses in both slots. I got set back because the V1 power wire has a fuse downstream from the tap. However, on the tap's two slots, the first slot that's closest to the fuse panel is for the existing fuse you're tapping into and the second fuse closer to the output tap is for the output wire. Even though the V1 has it's own fuse inline, you need to install one in the tap as well. Since the V1 is fused at 2A, I inserted in the tap a 5A fuse that came with the kit. I'm tapped off the 12V outlet near the cup holders and grounded back behind the fuse panel. I ran the power wire along the door molding, up the A pillar, and then along the top of the windshield using a credit card to push the wire in. I think it looks great and I'm really happy I didn't have to cut any wires or pull off any trim.

Fuse_Panel_1.jpg

Fuse_Panel_2.jpg

Door_A_Pillar.jpg

A_Pillar.jpg

Mounted.jpg

MaKeN

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick regal tour x
so did you use the fuse slot or taped in to 12v wire ?
i plan to do the same

Ultra Ego

St. Paul, MN
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra, 2003 LeSabre Limited; Previous: 2003 LeSabre Custom; 1998 Park Avenue
No need to tap into a wire.

With Add-A-Fuse, you simply unplug one of the existing fuses, and insert the dual fuse holder, being sure that both slots on the Add-A-Fuse have a fuse in them.

The wire lead, coming out of the Add-A-Fuse will be an extension of the primary circuit, and be protected by its own fuse. Use this wire lead to power your detector.

MaKeN

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick regal tour x
No need to tap into a wire.

With Add-A-Fuse, you simply unplug one of the existing fuses, and insert the dual fuse holder, being sure that both slots on the Add-A-Fuse have a fuse in them.

The wire lead, coming out of the Add-A-Fuse will be an extension of the primary circuit, and be protected by its own fuse. Use this wire lead to power your detector.
u think a 10 A fuse is ok to plug in ?

Ultra Ego

St. Paul, MN
Buick Ownership
I would think so. The original circuit items are still going to be protected by the 10A fuse you plug back into the Add-A-Fuse, and the radar detector shouldn't pull anywhere near 10A for power, from the new fuse you will plug in.

Check the specs on your radar detector to make sure of its power requirements.

MaKeN

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick regal tour x
I would think so. The original circuit items are still going to be protected by the 10A fuse you plug back into the Add-A-Fuse, and the radar detector shouldn't pull anywhere near 10A for power, from the new fuse you will plug in.

Check the specs on your radar detector to make sure of its power requirements.
yea makes there is logic in it .... its not a radar its a dash cam i want to use .... i guess its the same thing ... just need to figure out in what fuse should i plug it in

Ultra Ego

St. Paul, MN
Buick Ownership
Check your instructions and see if the dash cam manufacturer wants you to attach it to a circuit that is live all the time, or cycles On/Off with the ignition.

MaKeN

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick regal tour x
Check your instructions and see if the dash cam manufacturer wants you to attach it to a circuit that is live all the time, or cycles On/Off with the ignition.
it wont say any about it ... just says to use cigar port.....

but the kit from amazon has that :
★【24 Hours Surveillance 】The vehicle hard-wire kit connected to car battery or fuse box power, can uninterruptedly supply power for dash camera for 24 hours. It can even supply power when the car is turned off.If the voltage of your car battery drops to 11.6V or 23.5V, the regulator will cut off the power,which leaves you with enough power to start your car

Ultra Ego

St. Paul, MN
Buick Ownership
They want you to use a fuse (source) that is On regardless of the ignition switch position.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!