Has Anyone Found a Fix for a Windows Regulator on a 2000-2005?

happydog500

Buick Ownership
1998 Buick Park avenue
I had a 97 for over 10 years. I switched to 98 Park Avenue. I'm thinking of buying a low mile LeSabre 2000-05. I have understood a big problem whith the window regular.

I had a friend who had a 2000-05, he went through Window regulators like candy. He'd put one in, another goes out. Once, the new one he put in went out in weeks.

Another fried went way up north to Canada, way below freezing, on his way home, like 20 below, he had to drive with the window open. Taped cardboard to make it home.

Has anyone sat down and analyzed the problem to see exactly what the problems is? Anybody every modified a new window regulator to fix the problem?

Thank you,
CH

GenXer

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Enclave and 2001 Lesabre
I replaced every regulator (all 4 windows) on my step-son's Lesabre. They last and last for me. Here is something you can do to make them last:
Edit: Just replaced the front left regulator on the new-to-me '01 Lesabre Limited...at 150K miles. I could see it was miraculously still on its original regulator because the door seal inside had never been touched. At least, after replacing ALL the regulator's on my step-son's '00 model, I'm getting pretty good at it.

Last edited:

lbear

2004 Buick LeSabre Limited Celebration
Apparently GM engineers couldn't figure out how to make the window regulators out of a material that doesn't break constantly. :rolleyes:

Another trick I learned is NOT to let the window roll all the way down. When using the power window down button, stop the window before it hits bottom by using the button. I think that is what damages the cheap regulators and makes them fail. The abrupt stop and clunk probably wears out the parts. Just my theory.

ianfabs

Rhode Island / Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 Buick LeSabre Custom
I have this same problem on my 02 lesabre. I’ve replaced my drivers-side window regulator at least 7 times since I got it in 2016. I think the original failed due to the problem mentioned above
“The abrupt stop and clunk probably wears out the parts. Just my theory.”
And the subsequent failures were due to both the fact that I did not re-seal the plastic moisture barrier correctly making the motor moist as the windows were raised and lowered repeatedly in damp weather, and the fact that the replacement window motors I purchased were under $20 dollars (low quality). Next one I buy will be more thoroughly researched

02LTD

Long Island NY
Buick Ownership
2002 Lesabre Limited
I have this same problem on my 02 lesabre. I’ve replaced my drivers-side window regulator at least 7 times since I got it in 2016. I think the original failed due to the problem mentioned above

And the subsequent failures were due to both the fact that I did not re-seal the plastic moisture barrier correctly making the motor moist as the windows were raised and lowered repeatedly in damp weather, and the fact that the replacement window motors I purchased were under $20 dollars (low quality). Next one I buy will be more thoroughly researched
I think you just answered your own question…don’t go with the cheapest one. I had my front passenger side go out last winter so I had to buy one locally. It was a DORMAN and was very well made with some improvements to the original design. It cost quite a bit more than the cheapest replacements on Amazon but remember that old adage that says “you get what you pay for “.😉

imidazol97

Top Dog
My 2003 did NOT have any regulators break. Luckily.
I think the question has been answered here about using a quality replacement item where technology changes have been made to improve the item.

I did recall and did find an analysis of what was wrong on the early versions of the 200X regulators. Read it and note that replacements are now much, much cheaper and are easier than trying to modify one you currently have.

Window Regulator Repair : Interior

happydog500

Buick Ownership
1998 Buick Park avenue
Dorman says, "Trustworthy replacement - engineered and tested to match the fit, function and performance of the original window regulator on specified vehicles"

That didn't sound very good but they do add, "Dorman's Window Regulators have been re-engineered to improve on the original design. The latest technological advances in motors, materials and cable systems have been applied to new and previously released applications."

Not sure if that true or just marketing.

What's happening when they fail? I didn't understand it was the motor going out.

I see the cable goes into a coil, I saw comments the problem was in the coil part. Now, it's that AND the motors?

With all the regulators being replaced, has anyone had a Dorman go out?

This breaks my heart and makes me not want to get a Lesabre. I live and park downtown, can't leave it overnight with the window open, especially if I got a $500 aftermarket audio.

Thank you for the replies.

Update: Just read, "Failure-resistant design - features cable tension springs to resist cable reel binding from insufficient tension"

That's the answer. I wondered what the specific problem was. It is in the cable not having enough tension so the "coil" or reel as they call it, binds.

Last edited:

Gluttenforpunishment

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue
I use this WD40 Silicone spray on the window tracks and rubber pieces. My driver side window would stick, I sprayed this in the rubber and down into the tracks. Window works smoothly now, no more stress on the motor. I just saw the Scotty video above, LOL! Same stuff he uses, or recommends.

Attachments

• shopping.jpeg
    shopping.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 0

Gluttenforpunishment

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue
Some of the Dorman stuff is pretty good, some not so much. I know in my truck, I use there HVAC actuators. They are cheap when compared to the dealer. They normally only last a few years and break, just like the dealership ones. Well, these new actuators I bought, a few years ago, were made in Korea vs China, like the old ones. The difference in build quality is easily visible, and miraculously, they are still working, so hats off to Dorman.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!