• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Has anyone purchased motor oil in a bag?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I was checking out Rockauto and noticed they have a 6 gallon bag of oil for the TourX. Kind of like the box wine of motor oil. More Information for ACDELCO 109165

Has anyone used one of these? Price seems pretty damn good considering it is the recommended mfg's oil and is good for several changes. I like the idea of not having a bunch of qts or 5 qt jugs laying around but worried about how durable these are. I don't want to come home to 6 gallons of oil spilled everywhere.

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Humboldt County, CA; or Germany
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
No, I haven't used one, and I don't think I every would...

How long does it take you to go through 6 gallons of motor oil? Even running three cars, it would take me a couple years...

And the price is terrific, but I can buy Mobil1 for 5qts/$25 at WalMart, so the price/change is already not a big deal.

What's the problem with jugs laying around? They're handy to dispose of used oil.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I will be doing around 20k a year so probably 4 changes which is what this would cover.

I hear you on the Mobil1, have been using it for years on my Audi and often with rebates it is basically the same price per qt. But I just hate having jugs that don't get recycled and end up in the landfill. I figured with this the bag there would be much less waste and the cardboard box would be recycled.

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
I just hate having jugs that don't get recycled and end up in the landfill...
I don't have one in front of me to check, but IIRC the oil jugs have the recycle symbol on them. I put them in the recycling.

You need 6qts to do an oil change? And you really need to do one every 5,000 miles?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
They may have the symbol on them but I have yet to find a center that will take them. In my town where they have a tank for you to dump your oil, if you try to leave a container they chase after you.

I still don't have the TourX so I couldn't check the manual, but I saw a site that said its fill was 6 qts, so that is what I was basing that number on.

As for 5k OCI's, I am sure there will be lots of people that say I am throwing away money. But oil changes are cheap if you do them yourself and hardly take any time. So if I do it twice as often that is only like $40 bucks a year. Cheap insurance when you consider the alternative. And before people start talking about oil analysis; there are two problems. First it costs you money that you could just put into an oil changes. Second, it only gives you info after the fact. So if you found out the additive package failed it is already too late. Using this analysis to figure out the OCI assumes that the engine performance and your driving style don't change. But they do.

Also I have owned two vehicles that both had known oil issues. First was an Audi A4, when we bought it they claimed 10k OCI on regular oil. Many of these engines sludged up before 100k. I did ours with Mobil1 every 5k and I am sitting at 295k on the original engine and turbo. My other ride was a modified Legacy GT, again I did 5k intervals with Rotella but unfortunately that was not enough and the banjo bolt filters caused problems. So I don't trust the dealers recommendations either.

For me 5k is a good balance between cost and still having enough life left that even if I go a little over I am still well within the safe range.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
That is a good price.
Full Syn so probably Mobil 1, that is more then half off Costco price when they have $10 discount.

Last edited:

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
I would hate to try to hold a 6-gal bag or oil and try to pour it into the oil fill cap hole! Is there any measurement on the bag to determine the amount of oil added, or what is left in the bag, or do you have to guess and check the dipstick??

Last edited:

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
I would hate to try to hold a 6-gal bag or oil and try to pour it into the oil fill cap hole!
You can zoom in on the image of the box, and it looks like there's a bunghole and some kind of spigot/valve...

I agree that it would be ungainly, but having dealt with 5 gallon buckets of paint, I guess this wouldn't be much different...

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Use one of these quart cups and looking in from the top would probably give a good guess on what remains. If it's a OCD day weighing it will tell a more accurate number LOL.
41RIttqZjNL._AC_SY400_.jpg

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
With shpping cost, that looks like $3.29 per qt. not bad, but how do you hold it up to dispense it into the engine?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
It does show a stopcock on the side but no idea how you would measure other than dispensing into a measuring cup as mentioned.

Shipping cost varies, for me is was around $10 so qt price is around $2.75 with tax.

It does look like a PITA to use, that is why I posted to see if anyone else has experience using it. Just not sure who this is made for. Kind of big for most DIY people and way to small for dealers.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
If the number of vehicles and milage changes justify the use it's a may be a good option. How to use it is no more complicated than one of these LMAO.
Beer-kegs-fiesta-beertender-perfectdraft.jpg

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
My biggest concern, would be what do I do with my used oil then? I like having the 5qt jug to put the old oil into and take to autozone for oil recycling.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
My drain container will hold 12 qts I think and has seals for the caps. So I would just use that.

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
My drain container will hold 12 qts I think and has seals for the caps. So I would just use that.
You mean you use one of those jugs that's like a drain pan on one side? I've tried those, and they're awful... The "drain" side of the jug winds up coated with oil.

It's a LOT easier to use a Fumoto and run a tube into a jug. No mess at all.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
My biggest concern, would be what do I do with my used oil then? I like having the 5qt jug to put the old oil into and take to autozone for oil recycling.
From experience, I'd suggest a 1-gal milk carton/s or water jugs. Maybe distilled water that you can use to rinse your car after a wash (won't spot) for the ultimate in double duty!

That is true about oil containers not being recyclable even though they have the symbol...I've been reading that China has basically stopped taking US recycling waste and so many US cities are scrambling to find a solution — meantime much of it ends up in landfills. Apparently anything with a residue inside it often gets pitched.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
You mean you use one of those jugs that's like a drain pan on one side? I've tried those, and they're awful... The "drain" side of the jug winds up coated with oil.

It's a LOT easier to use a Fumoto and run a tube into a jug. No mess at all.
Yes, it has an integral pan in one of the long flat sides. When done I have a tray this can lay in so any residue doesn't run all over. That is how I would transport as well. Fumoto valves are nice but I don't have a way to get my vehicles high enough to drain into a 5 qt jug, so at best I could run the hose to the drain in the oil catch pan.

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
The cost is certainly appealing, and I don' think it would be much of a hassle to use. If one has an empty 5 quart oil container at hand, put the box of oil on a bench, or the like, fill the empty container from the spigot and pour the oil into the engine filler hole. As far as recycling the used oil, I save my empty 2 gallon plastic laundry detergent containers for that purpose, though similar large containers would suffice. Also, here in California, O Reilly Auto Parts, and perhaps others, take the containers, if desired, when recycling used oil, so maybe they would also take the empty oil bag.

Last edited:
Pedal Commander