HD Radio

HuffAZ

Buick Ownership
Encore GX
What trim/option package includes HD Radio? The manual implies it is an option but I cannot find any mention on Buicks Encore GX website. Best I can find searching is that it is included only with the navigation option. Not sure if that is true. Have no use for the navigation but I do have HD radio on another vehicle and love it.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Not just Navigation, when you select HD it tells you this

ADD
Bose® premium audio system
Advanced Technology Package
Adaptive Cruise Control
Buick® Infotainment System with Navigation and 8" diagonal color touch-screen
SiriusXM® with 360L trial subscription
SD card reader
Rear Park Assist
Head-Up Display
Hands-Free Power Liftgate Package
HD Surround Vision
Price Change: $3,050

HuffAZ

Buick Ownership
Encore GX
Not just Navigation, when you select HD it tells you this

ADD
Bose® premium audio system
Advanced Technology Package
Adaptive Cruise Control
Buick® Infotainment System with Navigation and 8" diagonal color touch-screen
SiriusXM® with 360L trial subscription
SD card reader
Rear Park Assist
Head-Up Display
Hands-Free Power Liftgate Package
HD Surround Vision
Price Change: $3,050
Wow! Quite a bit just to add HD radio! Might look into finding a wrecked GX with the Nav radio module and swap it. Here is a company that offers the GM Nav radio to swap. My understanding is the Nav radio module does have HD Radio.
2020-2021 Buick Enclave Encore GX IntelliLink® IOU GPS Navigation HD Radio Upgrade

Dave_0788

Encore Enthusiast
North East Jersey
Buick Ownership
2021 Buick Encore Essence GX ST AWD w/ 1.3L
Yeah. You have to add the Bose to get the HD Radio.

mitchflorida

South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
HD Radio became obsolete soon after it was introduced.

Think of Smart Phones, CarPlay, Spotify and Pandora and mobile data.

mshultz

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore Essence AWD
Where I live, you need HD radio to listen to classical music rather than NPR. And I prefer WKSU-HD3 to the classical selection on SiriusXM. Plus HD radio is free to listen to.

HuffAZ

Buick Ownership
Encore GX
HD Radio became obsolete soon after it was introduced.

Think of Smart Phones, CarPlay, Spotify and Pandora and mobile data.
Are you suggesting that people do not listen to radio anymore and instead just stream music? Radio is alive and well with a strong base of listeners such as myself. I stream or play off flash drives on my car stereo but I also listen to radio. Often it is a show, rather than just music. Numerous stations where I live have HD substations. Adds quite a bit of variety.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

mitchflorida

South Florida
Buick Ownership
Are you suggesting that people do not listen to radio anymore and instead just stream music? Radio is alive and well with a strong base of listeners such as myself. I stream or play off flash drives on my car stereo but I also listen to radio. Often it is a show, rather than just music. Numerous stations where I live have HD substations. Adds quite a bit of variety.
People never really listened to HD Radio to begin with.
Buick Regal hasn't offered HD Radio since 2014. In 2016 they added Android Auto, which I do use.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Interesting read on HD radio, but like HDTV some people are happy at 720p and others will accept nothing less than 4K so it's the listeners choice with no absolute correct answer.

HuffAZ

Buick Ownership
Encore GX
Interesting read on HD radio, but like HDTV some people are happy at 720p and others will accept nothing less than 4K so it's the listeners choice with no absolute correct answer.
With HDTV it is the resolution that attracts many viewers. All TV's now receive digital broadcasts. So even if using a roof antenna all of the substations are viewable regardless if they're HD or SD. With radio the ability to receive HD is needed in order to receive the sub stations. In other words, the attraction for me isn't sound quality, it is the ability to receive the extra radio stations that otherwise would not be available that are broadcast free of charge.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Um wasn't comparing it as you can't see radio LOL. Saying some people like only having basic while others like to have a range of options.

mitchflorida

South Florida
Buick Ownership
With HDTV it is the resolution that attracts many viewers. All TV's now receive digital broadcasts. So even if using a roof antenna all of the substations are viewable regardless if they're HD or SD. With radio the ability to receive HD is needed in order to receive the sub stations. In other words, the attraction for me isn't sound quality, it is the ability to receive the extra radio stations that otherwise would not be available that are broadcast free of charge.
There are thousands of free radio channels that are available. You just need a smart phone and mobile data.

GM just discontinued HD Radio in its 2021 and 2022 GMC and Chevy trucks. That technology is going the way of CD players.

Last edited:

HuffAZ

Buick Ownership
Encore GX
There are thousands of free radio channels that are available. You just need a smart phone and mobile data. GM just discontinued HD Radio in its 2021 and 2022 GMC and Chevy trucks. The technology is going the way of CD players.
That requires streaming. Mobile data is NOT 100% flawless by any means. Driving around most any major city will have drop outs. Driving outside a major city often finds no signal available. Works fine on routine commutes in cities but that's about it. Again, conventional OTA radio is far from dead. Radio stations are alive and well. Streaming data is a large growing market but it isn't replacing radio broadcasts. I use both depending on circumstances.

HuffAZ

Buick Ownership
Encore GX
Um wasn't comparing it as you can't see radio LOL. Saying some people like only having basic while others like to have a range of options.
True, I like the range of options. Streaming is great for some things I listen to. Radio does as well especially in cars where mobile data is not available in the area I'm driving.

gs.haley

Buick Ownership
2021 Encore GX
What trim/option package includes HD Radio? The manual implies it is an option but I cannot find any mention on Buicks Encore GX website. Best I can find searching is that it is included only with the navigation option. Not sure if that is true. Have no use for the navigation but I do have HD radio on another vehicle and love it.
It’s a single option, included when you add the Bose Sound System. It’s Not included in packages or trims, but available as a single add on. The standard speakers suck lol

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Marketing it as "HD" probably did more harm than good, but then again lots of products jumped on the bandwagon with HD or the "i" in front of what was being pitched.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners