Headlight Issues 1991 Regal GS

Thread starter #1

Dragonwing

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Good day, Gang! I'm in the midst of resurrecting my 1991 Regal Gran Sport, after having made the bad choice of lending it to my Daughter to drive during her High School senior year and through 4 years of College. Yes, it was neglected, but not beat up too badly. So, some paint, a lot of re-gluing, updating fasteners, locating obsolete pieces/parts, sandblasting and re-powdercoating the wheels, and she should be a proud runner all over again. I'm working the interior right now. Dealing with the shrinkage of the dashboard material with some tastefully hidden screws, glue and fasteners. A Dash-Mat for the upper dash area. The correct Duplicolor fabric and vinyl paint for the dark GM maroon of the interior. Replacing the instrument lights. a healthy dose of epoxy on the upper console area to put all the little plastic pieces back together (and yes, it's like trying to glue an eggshell back onto a hard-boiled egg). BUT, here's the problem, noticed just by accident: In checking the bulbs for the instruments, I pressed the headlight switch, and.....nothing! No headlights. No instrument lights. The gauges all work. The interior and courtesy lights illuminate properly. And, the factory shop manual, all 1000 pages of it, is strangely silent as to the location of a fuse for the headlights. There doesn't seem to be any, either under the hood, or on the fuse panel in the glovebox. Am I missing something? Is the way-too-expensive headlight switch prone to failure? Help, please, if anyone has experience with this issue.

DW

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Here's another list, check #14 under the hood as it says exterior. Dash lights are usually controlled by a dimmer which could be all the way off, it could be on the same circuit which is on the headlight assembly switch. You might be able to get one at the salvage yards as a temp to try out.

Buick Regal (1988 - 1993) - fuse box diagram - Auto Genius

Thread starter #3

Dragonwing

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll check the 50 amp (!) breaker under the hood and hope that's the issue. It's likely not the dimmer, as sliding it up and down produced no results, and there are still no exterior lights. I'm thinking that there's no power getting to that whole circuit, which, to me, means a failure at the breaker/fuse, or a dead switch...which wouldn't surprise me at this point.

B

Thread starter #4

Dragonwing

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
So, yes, it was indeed one of the underhood fuses. The 30 Amp J-Case fuse to be exact. However, the upper part of the fuse, at the 'window' didn't actually show any sign of failure. This is what made it so odd and impossible to diagnose just by looking. Only when I pulled it out, on a whim, did I discover that one of the lower contacts had corroded away. It was the only one like that in the entire panel. very strange....

DW

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.