Heads up display... day and night videos

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
Not bad but the double image thing is kind of a shame. I recently had my LaCrosse windshield replaced and needed to get the correct HUD windshield ($600) so the image is focused on the glass.

Your widget version is definitely better than none at all though :)

caddycruiser

That is an awesome add-on, for such a low cost aftermarket item. Looks great.

Hmm. Just search for that on Ebay? Any specific models or just one?

FatherDeth

7.0L LS7 Member
Burlington, New Jersey, United States
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS
The double image could be the camera having focusing issues. I guess we'll have to see what the OP says. The only problem I have is that I use my scan gauge with my OBS 2. Not a bad upgrade though for the money.

Last edited:

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
The double image could be the camera having focusing issues. I guess we'll have to see what the OP says. The only problem I have is that I use my scan gauge with my OBS 2. Not a bad upgrade though for the money.

That's possible but when I replaced my windshield the dealer's body shop guy said it was very important that I get the correct HUD windshield so the image would be sharp and not doubled like in the OP's video. Just saying, the HUD windshield is pretty expensive and apparently more costly than a standard windshield. Must be a reason why, wouldn't you think?

88 E5PR1T

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS, '64 Karmann Ghia, '06 Elise
Yup, it's doubled... But it only bothered me for about a week and then you get used to it. Don't even see it anymore really.

There are a couple on eBay. Be careful, cuz some only read kph. There's an S100 and and S300 by the same company that makes this one (mine is an S200), and then there's one more that was a bit too colorful for my tastes.

FatherDeth

7.0L LS7 Member
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS
That's possible but when I replaced my windshield the dealer's body shop guy said it was very important that I get the correct HUD windshield so the image would be sharp and not doubled like in the OP's video. Just saying, the HUD windshield is pretty expensive and apparently more costly than a standard windshield. Must be a reason why, wouldn't you think?

Makes sense now. I'm surprised the companies making the HUDs haven't found a way to sharpen the image to reflect right on standard windshields.

FatherDeth

7.0L LS7 Member
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS
Yup, it's doubled... But it only bothered me for about a week and then you get used to it. Don't even see it anymore really.

There are a couple on eBay. Be careful, cuz some only read kph. There's an S100 and and S300 by the same company that makes this one (mine is an S200), and then there's one more that was a bit too colorful for my tastes.

Thanks for the info.

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
I think I remember something about a rectangle of see thru tint-like stuff that can be put on the windshield to help it focus but I'm not positive. In that case you would have a clearer image but a sticker on the windshield, not sure how that would look. Found it, this guy doesn't refer to the sticker but does have something on there. Might be something to look in to, not horrible looking by any means :)

What I'd really like to have is the current speed limit displayed (like on a Garmin). Either on the windshield (the Caddy XTS has it built into their HUD) or just somewhere convenient on the dash. No one here in the States seems to make a standalone unit but there is one oversees that you just sort of stick anywhere. I guess it must have a GPS and set of maps data in it like a Garmin. I've tried running my Garmin all the time (in addition to my built in Nav) but it's a large-ish box, there isn't a great place to put it, and for doing all that the speed limit sign is very tiny and a super small portion of the screen (none of which I need otherwise). If anyone comes up with an idea for displaying the posted speed limit in a discrete classy way, I'd love to hear it! :)

Last edited:

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
Figured out where to mount a Garmin for it's 'current speed limit' feature.

This pic is a little deceptive because it's head on and you can't tell that the Nuvi is actually floating about 3 inches in front of the vent. The right half of the screen is somewhat obscured by the steering wheel but the little speed limit sign is easy to see and I have in-dash Nav for any real GPS needs. It would have fit equally well on the passenger vent but hiding the cord on that half of the car would be a bigger challenge, as is, it's completely hidden.

I got a cheap vent mount at [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015A6YN6/"]Amazon[/ame] (good pics of it there, it's really pretty decent).
And a USB 6ft 5-pin extension cable from gpscity.com to help extend 12v power out of the armrest, down the inside edge of the car, threaded under the driver's knee area, and up out of the steering wheel surround (I'm sure someone could use an add-a-circuit but I just didn't feel like going that route).

It's really not in the way at all and powers on and off with the car. You can kill it (somewhat permanently) if you just slightly pull the power cord out of the back, it's shuts down and with a black screen just blends in the the rest of the interior. Not sure if I'll keep it there all the time or just for long (fast) x-country cruises :)

Cheap, effective, removable.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!